Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serial experiments lain discussion (spoilers)

• 15-09-2012 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

Ive just got done watching all 13 episodes of Serial Experiments lain for the first time and it has to be one of the weirdest anime i have ever seen or movie/tv shows in general.

But having being weird its clear this is its intention as it is a Psychological thriller
    after all but i want to discuss what people thoughts were as to what went on and what they felt. I may have some trouble to truly come out to what i felt so i try my best.

lain5.jpg

i believe lain was real but throughout watching it up till episode 8 or 9 i questioned did she really exist and created her own world from memories from users from the wired but gradually i felt this was not the case and she was just actual software created in human form as what described from the guy who i will refer to as the mad scientist.

another thing is the knights who were basically the hackers , could be just me but felt very similar to what we know has anonymous. i thought that was very interesting.

the most painful scene for me was when watching lain say to her parents that some stranger said are your parents really your parents and she kinda laughed it off as crazy talk , but when her so called parents turned and gave her that stare and silence went on for about good few seconds you could see the pain in lain eyes that it was true.

the friendship she had with asurai ( i believe that's how you spell it ) was very heart filling, lain willing to have people forget about her completely just so asurai wouldn't be in pain made me valuate more than i already knew about human relationships.

i seen alot of talk about Serial Experiment Lain , some saying it was too weird and they didn't understand or couldnt get into it, others saying it changed their life. I wouldnt go as far to say it has changed my life but very much like Hanmei Renmei and Videogame Persona 3 it has really open my eyes about what Human Relationships really means.

I think after watching this and when i see people whether its on twitter or facebook , playing pc ps3 xbox nintendo games that people are different from who they are online from who they are in the real world. i already knew this that people would be more aggressive or less shy , even myself i would feel i couldn't talk about this to a stranger i just met unless i knew them, Sel got me thinking and as strange as it was and somewhat confusing it was at times i consider it a work of genius and im glad i got to experience it :).

thats my 2 cents on what i felt , do anybody have any comments on what they felt when watching it , i love to hear peoples thoughts :)

thank you for reading :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Lain is something special to me, even though I couldn't even tell you what the hell was going on. There's a great panel with Yo****oshi Abe and Ryutaro Nakamura that's actually pretty informative, and I can't find it now but I remember reading an interview where they entertained the idea that the Knights weren't who they claimed to be at all and that they were there to act as a straw man in the story. I could never fully figure out what the 3 versions of Lain were conflicting about and which one was which at what point. One thing though, I loved the symbolism of her bear pyjamas.

Additionally, as a hobby of mine, I do guitar video covers of the soundtrack and upload them to Youtube and recently found myself trying to pick out things to do from the rarity that is Bootleg Lain. (If I may plug, this is a partial piano cover I did a few days ago of one of the most memorable songs in the show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLA5R0l6kSU) It's a 57 track CD that has soundscapes and music from the show that wasn't included in the soundtrack. It's something I'd love to own but of what I saw from the Japanese Amazon page, it's 2 used available at around 124 bucks, and even then you can't be sure that it's real I suppose.

Advertisement