Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from UK to Ireland

Options
  • 16-09-2012 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Could you advice which companies you've dealt with and whether you had a responsible service or not? I'm currently in UK, Cambridge and have accepted a job offer in Dublin, starting on the 28th of October and need to get all my belongings shipped as soon as possible.

In the past week, I've been in contact with a company named MoveCorp, but something didn't sound great about them after I spoke to them on the phone. I decided to search for their reviews and thank god I did so before shipping, as it appears they provide a horrible service. One of the reviews even mentions the name of the sales person I've been in touch with!

Greatly appreciated for your advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

If they call you boss a lot best avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭gagomes

RADIUS wrote: »
    If they call you boss a lot best avoid them.

Haha. What made me suspicious was that they had told me the measurements of the box 60x60x60 and max size of 30kg (~66lbs) and upon telling them the weight of the boxes could potentially be slightly over the 30kg mark, they came up with "Ah, the system says up to 40kg there is no extra charge." I found that slightly suspicious, hence I decided to check for reviews -- something I admit should have done earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Awesome -- can you tell your story with their service?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

In the very same situation here, relocating to Dublin from London in a few weeks. And we've just booked the move with Careline. The quote seemed reasonable, and so far no problems at all, very friendly and easy to deal with, but obviously the move hasn't actually happened yet so I can't comment on their actual performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

gagomes wrote: »
    Could you advice which companies you've dealt with and whether you had a responsible service or not? I'm currently in UK, Cambridge and have accepted a job offer in Dublin, starting on the 28th of October and need to get all my belongings shipped as soon as possible.

In the past week, I've been in contact with a company named MoveCorp, but something didn't sound great about them after I spoke to them on the phone. I decided to search for their reviews and thank god I did so before shipping, as it appears they provide a horrible service. One of the reviews even mentions the name of the sales person I've been in touch with!

Dunno how much you have but Andy is top. We used him from Surbiton to Dublin and he excellent - absolutely no bother at all. PM for more info if you need.

Clicky me

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

If you get the IRISH POST, it usually has a good selection of house movers advertised in it.

Thanks Ciaran67.

I have contacted careline, they quoted me 350£ w/o insurance, which is slightly expensive. They were very friendly and gave me a good positive vibe about them and their services. Explained how they had some warehouse storage in Liverpool and how the shipnent would be picked up on a Thursday from Cambridge and delivered the Monday (or when suitable to me) in Dublin. I would certainly have done business with them if only I hadn't found myself a much better deal. I have to keep the story embargoed for a few more days, but I'll be back to share it with you all once it's safe. :)

5unflower wrote: »
    In the very same situation here, relocating to Dublin from London in a few weeks. And we've just booked the move with Careline. The quote seemed reasonable, and so far no problems at all, very friendly and easy to deal with, but obviously the move hasn't actually happened yet so I can't comment on their actual performance.

I agree. I called them and they were very friendly, though their quote was quite expensive for what I had to move (2 parcels.) and they also suggested that if I just want to move 2 boxes, they might not be the best company.

In the end, I did opt for DHL, of which I got a quote of 116.39£ incl insurance and vat. because one of the phone operators made a mistake and made me a uk-to-uk quote, eventhough the address associated with it was in the ROI. Because I also didn't have the weight for one of the boxes, they asked me to call back later with the details and when I finally did, they were quoting me at 350£ + insurance + vat and offering an apology for what happened.

I wasn't happy at all as I ditched a limited time offer from fedex that would come down to 200£ with vat and insurance, so I asked to speak to a manager. Uselessness. She offered an apology and a promotional discount code, that brought the price from 350£ to 280£.

I searched for the address of the CEO and found the UK director's email address instead. From his email address, I worked out the format of the email addresses at DHL. So then I went to wikipedia to find out the name of DHL's CEO. I wrote them an educated email, copying the CEO and explaining how frustrating the situation was and the pains it caused me and why I would not be using DHL's services ever again. I had an email from a "complaints and cumpliments" department part of executive relations within an hour and they said they'd be investigating the situation reported by me. The following day, she got back to me saying that it was indeed a problem in their staff, they dealt with it to ensure it doesn't happen again and because it was their mistake they were keen to honour the original quote price. I thought this was a brilliant success story and goes on to show that DHL does care about their customers, furthermore... I'm quite happy that within 10mins of booking the pickup, they were at my door to pickup the boxes (this was yesterday, Friday.)

The boxes are currently in transit, they just arrived at the UK MIDLANDS airport and I hope things go well until the delivery time (Scheduled to Monday.) though I quite like that I was dealing with a multi-national company and that if I need to claim insurance, I'm sure it doesn't get dismissed easily.

Seeing as I can't find the option to edit my post, I can say everything arrived today, on time and in what appears to be impeccable state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

gagomes wrote: »

I did this move 2 years ago. Used FedEx for approx 20 boxes. Excellent service and reasonable price. I didn't move any furniture though

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Good to hear everything worked out perfect with your boxes. Careline will have to move a little bit more than 2 boxes for us, in fact about 700 cu ft of volume, so I'm hoping it'll go smoothly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

5unflower wrote: »
    Good to hear everything worked out perfect with your boxes. Careline will have to move a little bit more than 2 boxes for us, in fact about 700 cu ft of volume, so I'm hoping it'll go smoothly :)

we used careline going the opposite way (actually from Bangor to London) and while it was not quite the volume you're moving everything arrived in perfect order and the lads had no issue with multiple visits up to the 6th floor and back

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

I moved a lot of stuff from UK to Ireland after I finished college there. I borrowed a Transit off a friend here in Ireland, absolutely packed it. A cheap ferry and some diesel of the green kind made it the cheapest move ever.

Nobody but nobody will look after your stuff like you will yourself!

Maybe you could rent a van?

Advertisement