Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is alcohol really that great?

• 16-09-2012 1:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭

is alcohol really that great?
    I'm 365 days sober and honestly have never felt better.
    Makes me wonder what I ever saw in it in the first place. a sore head, a dose of the scutters and a day wasted in bed. seriously, what actually is the point?
    what are some positive benefits of drinking alcohol.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Richard571

Makes me wonder what I ever saw in it in the first place. a sore head, a dose of the scutters and a day wasted in bed. seriously, what actually is the point?

Yes, just yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Cures sore heads, scutters and gets ya out of the bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Samuri Suicide

It makes reading your post alot easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Beer....is there anything it can't do.

I once went off the beer... It was the worst day of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You sound like you used to be an alcoholic, moderation is the key. If the question you're really trying to ask is "Is it worth going out and getting absolutely hammered?" Then the answer is yes! Just not every night of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭SoundFella

It's a drug pain and simple and a strong one at that , research puts it higher than cocaine and heroin (although I wouldn't agree) .

The addiction rate is high and people don't realise they have a problem until they try and stop ....its like I'm a non smoker and have a negative view on them as I've seen the damage they can do where as a full time smoker only sees the positives or is so hooked they can't live without them. If you can stop drinking (like you seem to have) you'll save money and in the end be more productive and eventually get high on life and not a nagin of vodka!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

When you don't over do it and don't have a sore head/scutters, a day in bed, then it's brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's not if you've ever had some Roofies before..... That shít cray

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 hightimes1

I agree with you, but in answer to your question, yes it makes forgetting reality slightly easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

No, its horrible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

SoundFella wrote: »
    research puts it higher than cocaine and heroin

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I literally don't think life would be worth living without alcohol. Especially spirits. A night out would be the most tedious and dreadful thing in the world without a feed of spirits!

The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

On some occasions, women + alcohol = benwavner getting the ride.

God bless you alcohol, even you alcopops!

Keep up the good work

o1s1n wrote: »
    research puts it higher than cocaine and heroin

:confused:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6A000O20101101?irpc=932

^^^^^^^^
    I kid you not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Moderation is key. Also wouldn't have had some of my most memorable nights without it either. Same with most people.

Have you pulled mots, had mental conversations and done hilarious things you did with alcohol in the same way while you've been sober ?

I doubt it. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It's a drug that alters your state of mind, and sometimes that's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

... :pac:
    Thats mental. Who in their right minds creates these studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

AH Beers Awkward Silence - Saturday October 6th, Macturcaills 8pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Some of it tastes delicious
    Feeling of light headedness
    Euphoria
    Often an improvement in mood, even if only in short term.
    Impaired judgement, sure you'll do things you'd never do sober. You might learn something.
    Decreased stress or anxiety for a few 'hours off'
    Something to do during a recession.

I'm not a massive fan of alcohol myself, but after listing those benefits, I'm off to go and drink my bodyweight in Aldi Wine.

Cheers OP:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

You're spot on, I dont get what all the fuss is about, something that makes you more stupid would be considered bad but alcohol does that and a lot worse. But there ya go like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

alcohol is great in moderation when alone but absofookinlutely when in a social group, creates memories and some times black spots on said memories, but you always know you had a great night when you remember very little, if anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I started Uni today. In a flat with 4 others. They don't drink. Instant dislike. Went out for a fag, met some people, went to their room to drink then to a club. Basically drink is very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

I drink, but stop before getting drunk. I just hate hangovers that much, and also it's expensive and I like saving my money on stuff like traveling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

brummytom wrote: »
    I started Uni today. In a flat with 4 others. They don't drink. Instant dislike.
    Ugh! What kind of little girl's convent was this?! 

Fckin dry bus ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

It tastes great, makes women appear more attractive and makes a person virtually invulnerable to criticism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

IMO Alcohol's only upside is it's availability. Give me a joint over a few beers any day, or an E over a booze binge.

You'll have a better time x1000000, you'll make friends instead of starting fights, you remember your night, you party into the next day instead of passing out, you'll actually be better at picking up girls and you won't feel horrible the next day, just a bit sketched out that a few hours kip and a cup of tea will fix (in moderation of course. Don't do that **** every week)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

OP, yes, if you ignore the fact you're slowly killing yourself, it's great!
    Just don't get too drunk before work/school/meetings and don't go to places where you meet other drunken people who want to knife you and all is well.
    I started Uni today. In a flat with 4 others. They don't drink. Instant dislike. Went out for a fag, met some people, went to their room to drink then to a club. Basically drink is very very good.

But at least you know they won't steal your beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

There's no better feeling in the world than waking up on a Sunday morning with a clear sober alcohol-free head.:)

Edit: alcohol makes me money though so I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Do they know each other? Is it student flats? If so asked to be moved. Unless you want them complaining you to whoever runs the place every 5 minutes.

Where To wrote: »
    There's no better feeling in the world than waking up on a Sunday morning with a clear sober alcohol-free head.:)

Edit: alcohol makes me money though so I love it.

Wrong!
    The best feeling is waking up hungover because then you have something to look forward to.
    It gives you a goal for the day.

"survive the poison attempt".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

The world would be such a boring place without alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Worst, most dangerous drug in existence.

Also, legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nothing like a nice cool pint on a saturday night to relax with after a long week.

Like a lot of lads when I was in my 20s I ofton woke up feeling like death warmed over on a sunday morning but sure thats part of growing up.

Moderation is the key and most men get a mature attitude to alcohol by the time the 30s kick in.

I think men in their 30s and 40s actually spend less time in the pub than our fathers generation did, the beer belly is disappearing and younger men are more conscious of their health IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

There is nothing legal that will take the edge off as well as a good drink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Alcohol is good for the heart and bloodstream, red wine also has some other blocking benefits, as a recovering heart patient I'm recommended to take a glass of alcohol every second day, more precisely, two days in a row, skip a day and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭oldmangrub

If you're at a particularly tedious social outing, alcohol makes it easier.
    If you're out with a lot of drunken folk, alcohol makes them more tolerable.

If you're sitting around the house on a Friday and Saturday night like me, watching tele and baby-sitting the Grandkids (or maybe they're Grandad-sitting me), a glass of vino goes down well.

If you have a fulfilling and interesting life, you probably don't need alcohol.

Where can I get one of those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I've always thought it was overrated. Although in moderation its ok. It's just most Irish people don't know what moderation is and instead drink to get drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Worst, most dangerous drug in existence.

Also, legal.
    Are you saying wine is more dangerous than crack?

later12 wrote: »
    Are you saying wine is more dangerous than crack?

Crack, cocaine and heroin are all find in moderation.
    Of course, enjoying those 3 pints over a match in the pub is the cause of your life being ruined. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

For those without an addictive personality it's definitely a good social tool. Having a bit of crack, few drinks are fun and relaxing.

If I were prone to addiction though I could see where it would all go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Some people can handle it others take it to the extreme.
    Unfortunately for those who cannot handle it they are bombarded with advertising making it cool to drink and every time there is an event or you step foot into a supermarket drink is there to tempt the wayward.
    This country definitely has an obsession with it most likely because our climate is horrendous and it's a refuge to escape with drink.
    I do think all drink advertising should be banned like cigarettes and it should be hidden in the supermarket.
    People think this has always been the normality with drink but generations not so long ago never drank the way it is abused now,major implications of alcohol abuse amongst this generation have yet to surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I think the point is , is getting hammered every week worth it? Theres no middle ground with us Irish, its liketheres no point in 1 or 2 beers or 1 or 2 glasses of wine with a meal , we all have to get hammered

... :pac:
    Thats mental. Who in their right minds creates these studies.

Ah I don't know I call bull on it all . But they do reckon if alcohol was invented know it would be thrown into a Class A drug ....only reason they don't ban it is because of all the $$$$$ they get in tax :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Drink is fine in moderation. I do believe that the government should put a 1 euro levy on each unit sold in order to offset the health costs associated with its abuse.

amjon. wrote: »
    Drink is fine in moderation. I do believe that the government should put a 1 euro levy on each unit sold in order to offset the health costs associated with its abuse.
    People will keep buying it even as the price goes up and up :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Nah, it's not that great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I literally don't think life would be worth living without alcohol. Especially spirits. A night out would be the most tedious and dreadful thing in the world without a feed of spirits!

You're really doing it wrong then (the 'living life' bit).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Have you tried it in moderation?. I can drink, socially and still get out of bed at 6.30 and cope with a 10mth old and a 7 year old cos i dont get hammered.

Edit:
    Plus I would never have had sex...ever...without it

Second edit:
    But then again i then wouldnt have to get out of bed at 6.30.

Vicious circle....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

My username speaks on my behalf

• Advertisement
Advertisement