Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is alcohol really that great?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Alcohol and the associated craic is the best ever, but the hangovers are absolute torture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

"I can't handle alcohol so it must be bad for everyone"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

McChubbin wrote: »
    I have rose wine and I'm writing a smutty fanfiction. The wine greases up the lug-nuts, so to speak. Having said that, Erdinger Pikantus currently had me in the grips of a fierce hangover this morning. I only had 4 bottles but with an alcohol content of 7.3%, it knocked my socks off.
    Still doesn't put me off. My aunt lives next to a great offie that sells some real avant-garde beers. I spotted one last night with a content of 10.5% and a Ralph Steadman-style label so if you have to peel me off the floor following Ocktoberfest, that'll be the reason why.

Flying Dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭SoundFella

Witchie wrote: »
    The wine I am drinking right now is!

Turn 39 in a few hours and my son has moved to Dublin to go to College starting tomorrow so bloody well need the drink. :mad:

Don't drink for depression , won't solve any problems , trust me I know 1st hand , it just makes things worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭SoundFella

MultiUmm wrote: »
    Haelium wrote: »
    So far what I'm getting from the responses in this thread is "I'm a boring **** who can't have fun unless I'm piss faced".

It's a bit ridiculous that taking this drug is almost mandatory if you want to make friends while taking less harmful drugs such as MDMA, LSD and Cannabis is socially stigmatized.

I would say that most of Irish society is addicted to alcohol without realizing it.

Wasn't there a really dangerous bad batch of MDMA surfacing around Cork last week? Those two lads in Kinsale died after taking it. At least with alcohol you know what's in it (sugar, barley, sulphur etc.) and the content of alcohol you're drinking, and you can be certain one bottle of beer is not going to potentially kill you on a night out. Can you really say the same for MDMA when you have no way of knowing what has gone into it?

Was that the brown powder stuff on the news? , I think personally MDMA is 100X worse than alcohol from my experience and your right you know what your getting from Alcohol . Main line is all drugs are bad and can potentially ruin your life but the decisions you make now will make your future .

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Lightweights, go out have 6-7-8 pints, large bottles whatever. You're not gonna get locked from that.. Enjoy.

Is it worth it?...
    Of course its worth it, that's why i go out anyway.
    People who don't drink are boring fcukers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Gotya wrote: »

Every been around a drunk person when sober? Now there's a boring fúcker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Gotya wrote: »
    Lightweights, go out have 6-7-8 pints, large bottles whatever. You're not gonna get locked from that.. Enjoy.

Is it worth it?...
    Of course its worth it, that's why i go out anyway.

And everyone i've known with this opinion just coast from weekend to weekend, have no opinions on anything important and don't have the imaginations to be interesting without drink (then again, they're still boring bastards with drink, just less literate than usual).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

I've knocked drinking on the head because the negatives were far outweighing the positives and I just got fed up with it. Stopping was a lot easier than I thought it would be, and I don't miss it.

For me, drinking moderately was fine in theory but usually didn't work out in practice. Once I was on a roll the tendency was to carry on and not call a halt to the fun. That coupled with the impairment of judgement and it was easy to end up hammered.

I used to think, like a lot of people, that life without booze would be be a rather boring, dull, empty existence but find the opposite is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

MultiUmm wrote: »
    At least with alcohol you know what's in it (sugar, barley, sulphur etc.) and the content of alcohol you're drinking, and you can be certain one bottle of beer is not going to potentially kill you on a night out. Can you really say the same for MDMA when you have no way of knowing what has gone into it?

Yes you can purchase a Marquis reagent tester online for 20 quid. It will positively identify MDMA, MDA and MDE, all of which are non-harmful and enjoyable. It will rule out all other adulterants such as the harmful PMA that was in that bad batch circulating in cork. Anyone who indulges should test their pills or crystal.

When I say that the above are non-harmful, I clearly mean taking them in moderation. Being off your mallet every weekend for years will eventually take its toll on your mental health.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

mickrock wrote: »
    For me, drinking moderately was fine in theory but usually didn't work out in practice.

Follow that up now with a full health check.

I went to my doctor complaining about the effects that my own moderate drinking was having, just two cans and I could have massive hangover, six low alcohol cans of an evening could cause me to be over the limit for most of the following day @~ within two weeks I was scheduled for an Angiogram ~ failed, I'm four weeks post triple heart bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Alcohol makes dull fûckers believe that they're hilarious and interesting.

When in fact they spend the night roaring "funny comments" at each other and repeating themselves.

I drink myself but I'm old enough now to realise that it's all a bit of a waste of time.

Advertisement