Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Greyhound inside home

Options
  • 16-09-2012 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi - I was interested if any UK owner/trainers have ever kept a racing in training greyhound inside their house/home interacting with people and normal household goings on and still raced the dog OK? I'm in Australia and all trainers I have talked to here don't think it can be done with positive results - anybody agree / disagree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

jacksplatt wrote: »
    Hi - I was interested if any UK owner/trainers have ever kept a racing in training greyhound inside their house/home interacting with people and normal household goings on and still raced the dog OK? I'm in Australia and all trainers I have talked to here don't think it can be done with positive results - anybody agree / disagree?

Personally I don't think it would do the dog any good from a racing point of view to become too "domesticated". I do know of it being done however. In fact, one of the finalists in the English Derby this year was kept as a house pet while being trained but he's very much the exception rather than the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jacksplatt

Yes - it does sound that it is an exeption, I'm from horse racing background and the more a thoroughbred horse became "friendly for want of a better word" the less they performed eg. my kids rode one and would treat it more like a personal pony - I didn't see much wrong with it at the time and it kept them out of my hair - however she lost that edge and I had to put her back in the work stable and ban the kids from her - she bounced back OK - but it's a bit different for dogs I would imagine - my grown up son thinks he can race his 2yr old bitch who has never been a kenneled dog - I have my doubts.

Advertisement