Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things Irish people erroneously think are uniquely Irish.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I heard somewhere that the word "craic" isn't actually Irish, it originated in England and was brought over.

Yeah, that's true. It was 'crack', which was then borrowed into Irish and the spelling changed to 'craic'. Then, the Irish spelling was borrowed back into Enlgish. So, it's an English-originated word with Irish spelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

The Potato

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Driving home after failing your driving test, no we aren't the only country out of roughly 200 countries in the world where you can do this. I actually don't know of a single country in the world who revokes or suspends your license after failing the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    What, exactly, is the difference? I've always wondered...

Proper pudding and proper sausages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

LiamMc wrote: »
    They would use patronising phrases and attempt to humour the RoI fans by explaining that they were never like their neighbours. The fact these journalists were attempting to embed prejudices within Irish Football fans is lost on the journalists.

If that meant hooliganism not coming to Ireland then I'm cool with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Round Abouts is another. Heard a few people say they only exist in Ireland.

Ireland and the UK. Do you not remember Homer side swipeing the Queen when the simpsons visit London?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The gaelic language?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

rory mcilroy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Pierce Brosnan, Graham Norton and Terry Wogan to name but a few.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

"craic" isn't originally an Irish term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Driving home after failing your driving test, no we aren't the only country out of roughly 200 countries in the world where you can do this. I actually don't know of a single country in the world who revokes or suspends your license after failing the test.
    Germany springs to mind although technically you're correct, because you wouldn't get (a learner license) one in the first place. You arrive by whatever means of transport to the test excluding driving any car and if you fail you make your own arrangements again. And again those arrangements do not include driving away in whatever vehicle you attempted that test for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Where do these morons live who think Roundabouts do not exist outside Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

The Harp

The origin of the harp goes back to Mesopotamia, The earliest harps and lyres were found in Sumer c, 3500 BCE[2] Several harps were found in burial pits and royal tombs in Ur.[3] The oldest depictions of harps without a forepillar are from 500 BCE, which was the Persian harp of Perspolis/Persia in Iran and from 400 BCE in Egypt. The Harp (Persian: چنگ Chang) flourished in Persia in many forms from its introduction, about 3000 BCE, until the 17th century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Skid wrote: »
    Where do these morons live who think Roundabouts do not exist outside Ireland?

Perhaps it's because people have a round about way of doing things here.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Deceiving Celtic Tiger :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Free Money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Murphy's Bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

Alcoholism.
    Miserable weather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Case in point I think:
    dirtyden wrote: »
    Proper pudding and proper sausages.

Proper sausages as an Irish thing is a myth. The sausages most of us grew up on and which the vast majority of places serving irish breakfasts use are 50% sawdust and not "proper" sausages to my mind. Some butchers here now do lovely sausages - note: more in the traditional english styles - but in general you're more likely to be served a "proper" sausage in france, or spain, italy, germany, poland, or england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

CJC999 wrote: »
    Driving a car registered in another country on the roads here.

Ireland is the only place this happens. No where else would tolerate it. Blaming VRT or high road tax is a pathetic excuse for blatant disregard for the law.

???????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Calling terrorists and gangsters paramilitaries seems to be a uniquely Irish thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

it is perfectly ok from a safety point of view to have your kids ride in a trailer been pulled by a tractor or car

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Case in point I think:

Proper sausages as an Irish thing is a myth. The sausages most of us grew up on and which the vast majority of places serving irish breakfasts use are 50% sawdust and not "proper" sausages to my mind. Some butchers here now do lovely sausages - note: more in the traditional english styles - but in general you're more likely to be served a "proper" sausage in france, or spain, italy, germany, poland, or england.

No a proper butcher brekfeast sausage in ireland beats any I have tried in another country. You are comparing apples with pears here.

The better UK sausages like the Cumberland etc are not going to be served with your breakfest, similarly with the french and german ones. Id not want a big wurst with my pudding and eggs.

My initial point was about brekfeasts which may have been missed as the thread progressed not about sausages. I never suggested we invented the sausage just that we are gold medallists in cooked, specifically fried breakfests.

There are a lot of crap sausages out there I agree with you there, that are mainly cereal, water and salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

Irish Wolfhound,

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Taking out an expensive loan to buy a new car to save money on road tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Ahem:

erroneously

that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

If that meant hooliganism not coming to Ireland then I'm cool with that.

Maybe then it's worldwide......
    Prejudices isn't Hooliganism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

60million Americans waking up every morning and dreaming about an ass and turf cart beside a thatch cottage in a misty purple moutain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Tequila?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

joolsveer wrote: »
    Guinness

How has nobody corrected this yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

opti0nal wrote: »
    The Jig (Irish: port) is a form of lively folk dance in compound meter, as well as the accompanying dance tune. It developed in 16th century England, and was quickly adopted on the Continent where it eventually became the final movement of the mature Baroque dance suite (the French gigue; Italian and Spanish giga).[1] Today it is most associated with Irish dance music and Scottish country dance music.[2]
    opti0nal wrote: »
    The Harp

The origin of the harp goes back to Mesopotamia, The earliest harps and lyres were found in Sumer c, 3500 BCE[2] Several harps were found in burial pits and royal tombs in Ur.[3] The oldest depictions of harps without a forepillar are from 500 BCE, which was the Persian harp of Perspolis/Persia in Iran and from 400 BCE in Egypt. The Harp (Persian: چنگ Chang) flourished in Persia in many forms from its introduction, about 3000 BCE, until the 17th century.
    *Note to self*

Never go for a pint with this guy.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

dirtyden wrote: »
    Ireland and the UK. Do you not remember Homer side swipeing the Queen when the simpsons visit London?
    yup, I've used roundabouts in Florida at Clearwater beach. Definitely not uniquely Irish and English. Rare in the US but not entirely absent.
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    *Note to self*

Never go for a pint with this guy.:cool:

Unless it's for a pub quiz :D

Many on the Motors forum think bad driving is uniquely Irish or that we are the worst in Europe...these people clearly haven't driven around much of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Calling terrorists and gangsters paramilitaries seems to be a uniquely Irish thing.

It's not. Many such groups in Latin America are called paramilitaries as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Most of the things in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

harsh past (colonization, famine, etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Talking about being world leaders in areas where we still have difficulty attaining basic competence and centers of excellence that fail almost every test.Plus ugly women who consider themselves gorgeous and obnoxious dickhead guys who think they are hilarious and lovable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

How has nobody corrected this yet?
    Quite debatable. Original recipe devised in Ireland but the modern Guinness beer is not the same recipe as the original. Then there's the anti-Catholic rules of the company until 1939, not very Irish. And the fact that it's been in foreign ownership for a very long time.

Modern Guinness itself is made in 60 different breweries and what you get can vary from country to country.

It's as unique and Irish as its very good marketing.

• Advertisement

LiamMc wrote: »
    The brand Bulmers cider.

Black Pudding

White Pudding

Red Lemonade

So things we think are Irish but aren't? As a matter of interest where else in the world have you come across red lemonade? Outside of Ireland I've never seen it anywhere.

Also, you cannot buy black/white pudding in UK supermarkets anymore. Sure, you can get it served up to you in pubs/cafes/restaurants as part of a breakfast, but WTF they buy it is beyond me because it's been removed from the shelves in all major supermarkets. No idea why. Last time I saw it in a shop was in a luxury food store in Piccadilly selling Clonakilty black&white for £6 sterling a roll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Most traditional musical instruments.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

Back to roundabouts:

Chewing gum roundabouts.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Back to roundabouts:

Chewing gum roundabouts.

I see what you did there, cunning stunt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Reading the thread title arseways and answering a different question.

Getting pissed.

Irish bars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

Fat people
    Red hair
    Ugly people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Timfy

White pudding has always been rare enough in the UK but as far as black pudding goes, my last trip to a UK Tesco a few days back disagrees with you on the black!
    Also, you cannot buy black/white pudding in UK supermarkets anymore.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

CJC999 wrote: »
    Driving a car registered in another country on the roads here.

Ireland is the only place this happens. No where else would tolerate it. Blaming VRT or high road tax is a pathetic excuse for blatant disregard for the law.

Nonsense. You get tons of foreign-registered cars in the UK. Spend five minutes in central London and you'll see what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

rory mc illory
    eddie irvine
    glasgow celtic football club
    the fastest game in the world sh*te talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

So things we think are Irish but aren't? As a matter of interest where else in the world have you come across red lemonade? Outside of Ireland I've never seen it anywhere.

Also, you cannot buy black/white pudding in UK supermarkets anymore. Sure, you can get it served up to you in pubs/cafes/restaurants as part of a breakfast, but WTF they buy it is beyond me because it's been removed from the shelves in all major supermarkets. No idea why. Last time I saw it in a shop was in a luxury food store in Piccadilly selling Clonakilty black&white for £6 sterling a roll!

Nonsense. Black puddings are available everywhere. Bury, in Lancashire, is where you will get the best black puddings in the world. There are shops there that sell black pudding and nothing else.

People in Bury eat so much black pudding that the local hospital had to stop taking stool samples for medical tests because there was always blood in the stool as a result, thus making the test results inconclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've seen red lemonade in the USA./

• Advertisement
Advertisement