Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamic riots in Sydney yesterday

Options
  • 16-09-2012 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

This is mental, hope no one got caught up in it yesterday. A stupid
    movie is released in the US, so they decide to tear Sydney apart?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Couldnt believe when I saw this on the news the other day. It is one thing for some middle eastern or a country like Tunisa or Egypt having riots but this to happen in a western country where the majority of those who are rioting are here by choice due the opportunities afforded by said country in this case Australia? WTF?

Now, I am well aware that these are a minority of Muslims. I am also well aware of idiots who purposely try and go out to offend people. In my opinion they are tools. I had my say on this in the past with the A+A crowd when they were having their "Draw Muhammad Day". I would defend to the hilt the persons right to practise their religion in peace free from any government or 3rd party intrusion.

However, in a secular nation like most of those in the west everyone has to respect the freedom of speech. You are free do make as many tasteless movies if you want, people are also free to critise but people are not free to riot and demand Islamic justice such as beheading people. There is no inherent right to riot. If people genuinely believe that then they have no place living in a western society. Unfortunately this will bring out the usual knee jerk reaction from certain media pundits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If they're upset about something could they just write a letter of complaint expressing their annoyance. Anyway I'd imagine any that are on temp visas will be booted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭e04bf0c8

I was talking about this with a few of the guys in work today and I gotta say I was shocked with how quickly it turned into this massive racist rant about foreigners in Oz. And then eventually led onto another rant about aboriginals. At this stage I am quite used to the casual racism that exists over here but even this took me by surprise with how open and aggressive it was. I was quiet during the whole discussion because I was a bit shocked tbh. I've worked with them a year and they never talked like this before. And they noticed I hadn't said much and one of them turned to me and said "Oh but we don't mind your kind over here. At least you do some work while you're here". Those were his exact words.

My own opinion on the matter is that the film maker was perfectly within his rights to make the film and the Muslim community are perfectly within their rights to protest it no matter where they are in the world. From what I seen yesterday I think the protesters were provoked into action due to the heavy handed approach of the police. Now I open to correction to that but that was my interpretation of the events after looking at multiple videos and reading many eye witness accounts. And once the violence started a mob mentality took over and that was how it escalated.

But as shocking as their opinions may be I am glad to see that the subject is at least being talked about over here!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Feelgood wrote: »
    This is mental, hope no one got caught up in it yesterday. A stupid
    movie is released in the US, so they decide to tear Sydney apart?

How do you get away with posting this racist drivvle eh?

No one has a right to cause trouble, peaceful protest yes, like no one has a right to be a racist (which obviously the person that doctored the youtube video,is)

It was not a movie per se, it was a small short video. Yes I agree Muslims go off the deep end when people criticise their religion and always seems to overreact but there is no place for racism in the argument I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

vicwatson wrote: »

No one has a right to cause trouble, peaceful protest yes, like no one has a right to be a racist (which obviously the person that doctored the youtube video,is)

It was not a movie per se, it was a small short video. Yes I agree Muslims go off the deep end when people criticise their religion and always seems to overreact but there is no place for racism in the argument I think.
    Mod the YouTube video has been taken down, so I do not know what he posted. But accusing the OP of posting racist drivel is a big accusation. From the tone of the post it sounds like a news report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pretty good response from a moderate muslim.

hussey wrote: »
    Mod the YouTube video has been taken down, so I do not know what he posted. But accusing the OP of posting racist drivel is a big accusation. From the tone of the post it sounds like a news report.

I saw the video, you didn't.

Anyone that puts up a video that incites hatred and racism, wellll....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I saw the video, you didn't.

Anyone that puts up a video that incites hatred and racism, wellll....

AFAIK OP didn't create the video, he just commented on it as he has the right to do so.

He never really indicated any sort of racism, but just pointed out that there was a serious violent riot and was hoping that no regular poster were caught up in it that's all.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    AFAIK OP didn't create the video, he just commented on it as he has the right to do so.

He never really indicated any sort of racism, but just pointed out that there was a serious violent riot and was hoping that no regular poster were caught up in it that's all.

I never said he created the video.

I never suggested for one minute he was racist.

I merely commented as how they got away with posting racist drivvle on boards.

There was probably other coverage on YouTube that could have been posted without the racist element overlaid on the video.

What did you think of the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

How do the mods know it's a racist vid if they can no longer see it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 kautostar

Absolute animals imo

I never said he created the video.

I never suggested for one minute he was racist.

There was probably other coverage on YouTube that could have been posted without the racist element overlaid on the video.

What did you think of the video?

You certainly implied it

Please note the only thing I can see is a Channel ten news reporter in the preview mode. Hence thinking it was a news article.
    I cannot action anything I cannot see.

Hang on a sec, criticism of a religion isn't racism. You can choose your religion but you can't choose where you're born. I hate when people get that mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Vic, what are you talking about mate?. The video I posted was Channel 10 news coverage of the riots in Sydney last weekend. The news reporter basically explained why there was a protest and what the aftermath was.

There was nothing racist about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Vic, what are you talking about mate?. The video I posted was Channel 10 news coverage of the riots in Sydney last weekend. The news reporter basically explained why there was a protest and what the aftermath was.
    Does Channel 10 typically label Youtube videos with names like
    Muslim Riots in Sydney (Over "Innocence of Musl..."
    Was the video / audio doctored?
    The word people are looking for is "bigotry" or "sectarianism". Much the same effect, in particular, given that Islam would be associated with specific ethnic groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I think someone overlaid anti-immigration text over the video, usual bs slogans like Muslims will destroy white/Christian Australia. It was just a C10 report so I don't believe you purposely posted anything untoward mate.

I'll never understand people's need to take such massive offence when someone slags off their chosen god. I mean this is the dude you believe created the universe and everything in it but he somehow needs his honour defended by you when some ex-con in California posts a stupid video on YouTube.

Thank god I'm an atheist is all I can say...

Totally agree jackbhoy, i really hate it when some RCC apologists say that criticism of of sex abuse coverup isracism. Religion is not a race and no one has the right to behead anyone because of what they believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

The original video was a shorter version of this channel 10 news report.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

catbear wrote: »
    If they're upset about something could they just write a letter of complaint expressing their annoyance. Anyway I'd imagine any that are on temp visas will be booted out.
    I'd imagine the majority weren't on temp visa. Be they residents or citizens.
    e04bf0c8 wrote: »
    My own opinion on the matter is that the film maker was perfectly within his rights to make the film and the Muslim community are perfectly within their rights to protest it no matter where they are in the world. From what I seen yesterday I think the protesters were provoked into action due to the heavy handed approach of the police. Now I open to correction to that but that was my interpretation of the events after looking at multiple videos and reading many eye witness accounts. And once the violence started a mob mentality took over and that was how it escalated.
    I think your are way off tbh.
    I agree they are free to protest peacefully. What a protest in Sydney achieves against a US film I don't know, but that's their choice. However, given some of the signs that were made up and the jihad t-shirts present i'm not sure how peaceful it was intended to be. That may be debatable for some. But some Muslims who didn't want to be involved have gone to the police with the texts that were sent around organising the protest and also afterwards as they believe they were deliberate.

Apparently, more are doing the rounds organising something similar at the state library in Melbourne this weekend.

No one has a right to cause trouble, peaceful protest yes, like no one has a right to be a racist .

People actually do have a right to be racist but of course it depends on what actions that person takes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I saw the original video I gave the op the benefit of the doubt. They never stated any anti-Muslim sentiment in their post. Even when I saw it you could miss the overlay text. Sadly it's the zealots that have time to record such things. Not saying the op made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

It's funny how Muslims tend to condemn the movie while saying they understand how other muslims get violent but that it's not the correct way to protest.

I had a conversation with a Muslim guy here in Melbourne about it yesterday and he told me that if you insult their prophet it is worse than killing his Dad.

I said that is not something I could understand but that I wanted to convince him there is no God. He said it's a Muslim thing. That really pissed me off because Muslims seem to think they have a special right to be offended while the rest of us don't.

I hope nothing kicks off in Melbourne this week.....it's not that I don't like it, its just that I don't care.

Thank goodness we have moved on from our ultra Catholic past.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    How do the mods know it's a racist vid if they can no longer see it?

Not my problem, I saw what I saw

catbear wrote: »
    Hang on a sec, criticism of a religion isn't racism. You can choose your religion but you can't choose where you're born. I hate when people get that mixed up.

You didn't watch the video either obviously.

I think someone overlaid anti-immigration text over the video

100% correct, and that's the video I watched in the OP's post.

jank wrote: »
    People actually do have a right to be racist but of course it depends on what actions that person takes.

Whatttt? :confused::confused:

Mod right folks back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jank wrote: »

Somebody posted that you don't have the right to be racist.
    Jank was pointing out that you do have the right to that opinion or any other opinion. Be it right or wrong. What you choose to do with is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 johnoc353

Everybody is entitled to protest peacefully to get their views across. But for those who take advantage of the situation to incite violence? Solution is simple.. You protest violently and threaten to behead people then they should be punished for threatening behaviour. Cancel their visa's and residency status and send them packing or lock them up! They can't be acting this way in a Civilised country. Australia was good enough to allow them to live here and better themselves, and they're simply spitting in the Aussie's face with these pointless riots. Fair enough if an Aussie made the vid but seriously...

This is simply going to make ALOT of aussies hate Muslims now..

• Advertisement

You have the right to be racist, otherwise it would be a crime to be a racist.
    In other words we cannot and should not legislate for crimes of thought or actions so long as those actions do not harm others. Saying to a Jew that you hate them is not a crime, saying that you want to kill them because they are a Jew is. Australia though is very strict on this and there has been in the past people jailed for saying hateful things, something I don't agree with myself.

If thoughts and expressions are racist then so be it, however you are not automatically immune from prosecution if those actions extends to say advocating killing Jews or Muslims.

Advertisement