Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Sligo, advice needed

Options
  • 16-09-2012 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

Hi all

The missus has been offered a great job in Sligo, starting ASAP - and we'll be taking a trip up this week to check out accommodation and the likes.

Without going into too much detail, she will be working very near the town and has no problem living within a 20-30km radius if it impacted on price/rent?

I'd be up midweek and weekends initially to visit and we've a large dog that we'd need room/secure garden for, should we eventually all be living in Sligo.

So it would have to be a house (not sharing/apartment), with min 2 bedrooms (for visitors/family) and room for a dog, 20-30 km from Sligo.

Any opinions on what areas would suit to live, general info, activities, walks, pubs, restaurants, etc would be greatly appreciated. But the accommodation really is top of our list.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

What side of town will she be working on?

Honestly you probably won't need to go as far as 20k from town to get plenty of space and good value on rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Hooked

What side of town will she be working on?

Honestly you probably won't need to go as far as 20k from town to get plenty of space and good value on rent!

Thanks chatterpillar

Clarion hotel side. We are looking at places along the N15, starting with carney, grange, cliffony and ballintrillick.

We wanted to be out of the city a bit and I've a business contact in ballybofey, Donegal that I'd like to be near to.

As I said, we have to factor in the dog, people visiting and we already have a place here in Limerick so we are looking to rent within a certain budget.

Thanks for your reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Hooked,
    Try this co. http://www.obg.ie/
    They seem to be one of the biggest rental agents in Sligo atm.
    If theres nothing on the website give them a ring.
    The north Silgo region tends to be a bit more expensive but not a lot at this stage.

Bump!

Anything else to add peeps of Sligeach? Pretty please...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

If she's working on that side of town then you could consider renting in Dromahair in leitrim. It's about 10 miles from town. There's 2 roads into town, one bringing you in on either side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

Im presuming her job is in Abbots, (where else is taking on staff) Dromahair is a nice quiet village about 12 miles from the factory and rents will be cheaper than sligo and neg. Also, you can meet up with your mate in donegal by going manorhamilton, Kinlough, bundoran, Ballyshannon etc.

Happy hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you wanted to consider it, you could always look at a place like kinlough, and you'd be half way between Sligo and Bundoran.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

Drumcliffe,Carney Grange areas are by far the best option for that side of town,10 - 15 min journey but your still in the country and have shops, schools,churchs,pubs etc beside you.Well worth the little extra rent and you will also use less fuel travelling from the likes of Dromahair/Kinlough!

If you wanted to consider it, you could always look at a place like kinlough, and you'd be half way between Sligo and Bundoran.

Im a tad confused? Is kinlough not 4km from Bundoran and 36 from Sligo or did you mean somewhere else? Thanks all the same for the reply!

jt69er wrote: »
    Drumcliffe,Carney Grange areas are by far the best option for that side of town,10 - 15 min journey but your still in the country and have shops, schools,churchs,pubs etc beside you.Well worth the little extra rent and you will also use less fuel travelling from the likes of Dromahair/Kinlough!

Cheers jt69er!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Manorhamilton would be a good bet, 15-20 mins drive from that side of town and depending on the abbots if it is abbots then you could be already on the Manor Rd. Other than that you can rent a newish house in Tubbercurry from 280 a month. Tubbercurry is a nice town just seems to be overloaded in Houses more of a 35min drive mind you.
    Ballisodare is also a fantastic village and would be my choice, higher rental prices. Nice walks for the dog around there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Just worth noting that in Sligo we dont really have rush hour traffic, more like rust 20mins in the morning and the same in the evening so I wouldnt be to bothered on the side of town you are going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Good luck with your decision Hooked, whatever that may be.
    You've got lots of options given to you here.
    Carney (for instance) to sligo=10mins.
    Carney to Ballybofey=45mins (good road all the way)
    Whatever your decision, you'll be welcome in Sligo.

Wish I had a house to let. I'd be pm'in you!
    And we'll not be long introducing you to Sligo Rovers, the best team in Ireland!

Thanks Red Sean AND to all the other posters/replies. Hearing the traffic is light by comparison tho Limerick is going to help in deciding. We'd really prefer to be near the coast and out of the city, so it helps to know.

I'm familiar with the town (and Sligo Rovers) as an ex GFs brother married a Sligo woman and her father was a well known Sligo Rovers man I believe. I was at the wedding and have been up twice since.

The only negative about Sligo... is its bloody distance from Limerick! Other than that - we're really looking forward to the move and hitting the beaches on weekends and visiting Donegal.

Thanks again everyone! Very much appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Traffic is only bad coming up to 9am (school drop-offs) & around 5-5.30ish but if you're going to be living on the same side of the town as you work, then don't be worrying about that!

As for driving from Limerick, you have two options really. Limerick-Galway-Sligo or Limerick-Nenagh-Athlone-Sligo. Both are roughly the same time-wise in my experience but you have to weigh the Claregalway mess on one route versus the Roscommon-Boyle road on the other :D

And as for living near the coast...you're never far from a beach in Sligo!!! There's some fabulous ones here, both popular & not-quite-so popular. I moved here a few years ago & it's brilliant! My faves for dog-walking would be either Mullaghmore (massive beach when the tide's out!) or the Lower Rosses (a bit of a trek to get to but it's nearly always deserted so the dogs get to run off the lead with no hassle until they collapse :D )

Welcome to Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

jt69er wrote: »

Grange always looks to me like it would be a nice place to live plus you have that view of Benbulben as you drive to work every morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP - It would be more convenient to stay on the relevant side of town for work alright. But just to give you a gauge of morning traffic. I live in south Sligo, a couple of miles of the N17. When I was working in Sligo General I had to travel 32KM or 19.8 miles to work. 30 minutes was always an adequate amount of time for me, to get across town through the traffic. So if you don't really find a suitable abode on the northern part of town, you don't need to limit your options.

For renting/buying, avoid anything near the heavy student population centers, which are located in and around the Clarion part of town. I know another poster recommended Dromahair. But I would certainly avoid Dromahair, because that road can be very treacherous during the winter, especially when the frost hits.

catreyn wrote: »
    Traffic is only bad coming up to 9am (school drop-offs) & around 5-5.30ish but if you're going to be living on the same side of the town as you work, then don't be worrying about that!

As for driving from Limerick, you have two options really. Limerick-Galway-Sligo or Limerick-Nenagh-Athlone-Sligo. Both are roughly the same time-wise in my experience but you have to weigh the Claregalway mess on one route versus the Roscommon-Boyle road on the other :D

And as for living near the coast...you're never far from a beach in Sligo!!! There's some fabulous ones here, both popular & not-quite-so popular. I moved here a few years ago & it's brilliant! My faves for dog-walking would be either Mullaghmore (massive beach when the tide's out!) or the Lower Rosses (a bit of a trek to get to but it's nearly always deserted so the dogs get to run off the lead with no hassle until they collapse :D )

Welcome to Sligo!

Thanks catreyn! Really appreciate it...

Nice to know traffic isn't as manic as it is here. Mullaghmore sounds like it'll be a regular spot on the weekends. Keep an eye out for the Husky with the Limerick accent. Now if only he'd get tired and collapse. Not a hope. But I like the idea of having him off his lead at Lower Rosses.

Thanks again for the great advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I agree with Maximus, Dromahair and Manorhamilton roads are a nightmare in the winter, I worked in Manor and heading by Glencar at 7 on a frosty morning was not somethin I liked doing, if you need to get between Ballybofey and Sligo stick to somewhere along the main Donegal to Sligo road, I hear Grange is quite nice.

OP - It would be more convenient to stay on the relevant side of town for work alright. But just to give you a gauge of morning traffic. I live in south Sligo, a couple of miles of the N17. When I was working in Sligo General I had to travel 32KM or 19.8 miles to work. 30 minutes was always an adequate amount of time for me, to get across town through the traffic. So if you don't really find a suitable abode on the northern part of town, you don't need to limit your options.

For renting/buying, avoid anything near the heavy student population centers, which are located in and around the Clarion part of town. I know another poster recommended Dromahair. But I would certainly avoid Dromahair, because that road can be very treacherous during the winter, especially when the frost hits.

Cheers CV!

We will deffo be renting a bit out of the town. With a 32km trip taking you 30 mins it's really selling the idea! Not having a Limerick-like traffic delay is such a bonus and we really appreciate the info. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Anywhere off the main roads in the north Sligo region (N15/16) are a nightmare whenever the weather is a bit dodgy, which is a lot of the time!
    Depending on what time you reckon yould be travelling, you'll be fine any side of the county. But the traffic can be quite irritating from 8.00-9.30am and from 3.30 on, it really is ridiculous the amount of traffic that builds up!

If you stay north of the Bridge of the Inner Relief rod you wont have to worry about any of it though, I'd recommend out near Glencar, Drumcliffe, Grange, that way you get the best scenery,bit of quiet and the ease of low congestion. They might not be close to the sea, like you mentioned, but the prices out those ways are always inflated. Places like Strandhill & Rosses Point are ideal, but are more expensive, even Mullaghmore is above the average price of rent in the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Hooked wrote: »
    Im a tad confused? Is kinlough not 4km from Bundoran and 36 from Sligo or did you mean somewhere else? Thanks all the same for the reply!

Dope

Meant to say Donegal not Bundoran

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Yazamalainia

Hi all,

Similar to another thread at the moment, I'll be moving to Sligo within the next few weeks. I'm in my mid-twenties and looking for a house share with other young professional types. I was wondering would anyone have any advice on areas/estates around Sligo town that are best/best avoided?

Any info would be much appreciated!

;)

Advertisement