Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for sources of recycled/reclaimed paper

Options
  • 16-09-2012 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for ideas on where one might find large rolls of paper for drawing and painting. I use found, recycled or waste paper and I'm trying to find a source for large format paper, say A1/A0, 150 to 300gsm, possibly as a roll. For example, the local newspaper printers sometimes give the ends of their print rolls (though it's obviously a very poor quality paper) or I get waste card from a local framers or wallpaper from secondhand shops. But I'd like to find something large scale that holds watercolours well.

I should point out, I'm not looking for cheap paper sources, but places, businesses, situations where paper is dumped/unused that would otherwise be of use. If I can't find anything else, there's always Daintree paper on Camden street.

Any ideas?

For anyone else interested in such things,
    • Daintree paper sell up to A0 300gsm sheets of recycled/carbon neutral paper (only if available).
    • Mount from framers is generally acid free and holds watercolour well.
    • Wallpaper lining is nice for drawing with pens, not so good with pencil or paint. But has a nice colour and texture. Great sketchbook paper. Regular wallpaper is better for acrylics. Usually handy enough to find a roll in the charity shops.
    • Newspaper paper is pretty rubbish for anything but rough sketching and tears easily.
    • Cardboard from boxes I find always looks good for drawing and paint, it has a nice aesthetic. Varies on how well it takes paint. But there'll always be glues that, over time, will likely degrade the colour quality.

Thanks

PS. Mods, I figured this was more a specific subject, but if you think this belongs in the general stores/supplies thread, that's cool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i always have offcuts of mountboard

your welcome to take it away

it will be odd shapes and odd sizes but if its any use your welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mooliki

Cool, thanks for the offer! What sort of range of sizes, generally? And where abouts are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

all sorts of sizes for 4" square to maybe 16*16,

based in dun laoghaire

Advertisement