Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study abroad in 3rd year?

Options
  • 16-09-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I've seen that there are opportunities to study abroad in 3rd year, which is a part of the course I'm doing, but I was just wondering if it is compulsory to go abroad or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Yup, it's mandatory. Typically mature students get exemptions from it. It seems financial inability is not a valid reason for not going.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

Well that sucks because I definitely cannot afford to stay abroad for that long...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

So if you can't afford it and that isn't a good enough reason not to go, what happens then?

Just wondering, I'll never know what situation I'll be in money-wise down the line...

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

I'm sure that the course outline stated that International Study would be part of the degree program as a core module so you have 2 years to plan/save to go on it. Its not as if they are going to tap you on the shoulder tomorrow and tell you to pack your bags an go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Do they provide any help towards the study abroad costs? Seems kind of unfair that they expect you to pay for everything yourself and make it mandatory.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, I think this is another of those things I thought would be really good at the time, but now that it actually looms before me in the future, doesn't seem like such a bright idea.

I'll start saving obviously, but still, anything could happen in the next year (my co-op is abroad too, for next autumn).

Dropping out and looking for a PLC is starting to look like a better choice...

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread with my ramblings OP, just having second thoughts about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

Well my course only called it an "external academic placement" so I had no idea about it. They also added an extra elective which came as a surprise to a lot of us on the day. Only one week in and I'm already sick of being mis-informed about things...

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Well my course only called it an "external academic placement" so I had no idea about it. They also added an extra elective which came as a surprise to a lot of us on the day. Only one week in and I'm already sick of being mis-informed about things...

In semesters 4 and 5 each student participates in an off-campus programme. Semester 4 is usually dedicated to a period of paid employment in a sector related to your field of study, such as archival, museum or library work, journalism or communications. Semester 5 is spent studying at a university either in Europe or North America as part of a Socrates or other exchange programme.

Save some money when your on coop.

If you go to a European country you get the Erasmus grant, in around 1000 euro.

If you're lucky to get a paid co-op then you're laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Wayne 91

I've seen that there are opportunities to study abroad in 3rd year, which is a part of the course I'm doing, but I was just wondering if it is compulsory to go abroad or not?

I might be wrong but cant you do extra modules here in UL instead or community work or something, im nearly sure ive read somehting about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sm124

You have to do erasmus. Unless you go to the counsellor and feign mental problems. Then you have to go in front of the board and state your case and they could still ship you off. In all honesty though it's an amazing experience. Without sounding corny, it's one of those life experiences you will 100% regretting if you don't just do it! Your Erasmus grant depends on the cost of living in your host uni. I got the best part of 2,000€. Bear in mind you're going to world class universities that people pay thousands on fee's to go to every year. Also you get to meet people from everywhere. I remember the trepidation about it, but I would never change it now it's done! p.s Let 3rd year you worry about it!

I heard a rumour that erasmus grants are being cut big time because of the recession, is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sm124

Erasmus grants are paid via the EU, not Ireland. I would imagine that if they were going to be cut, it would have been when the whole of Europe was at an all time low.

^It was an erasmus student who brought it up so I think it would be all of europe getting the cut, if it happens.

I'm on erasmus now and heard the same from quite a few people. They want to cut them from January apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

If you have a valid reason for not wanting to go on Erasmus (money issues etc) you can take on alternative modules. It is not as compulsory as everyone is saying. Speak to the person in charge of Erasmus! If you have a valid reason, they cannot make you go, especially at a time like this when money is tight for everyone!:)

Advertisement