Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind blowing down chimney

• 16-09-2012 11:18am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to install a wind cap (think that's what they're called) to stop the wind coming down the chimney. Would anyone have any advice on what to buy as I haven't got a clue?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Some sort of a cap to stop a down draft you see ones around there a big H shape that's what you want

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

So not a spinner or a T-piece?

Genealogy Forum Mod

As far as I know the spinner increases a draw on the chimney. I've never seen a tee piece been used but is prob be the same principle as the h cap

Okay - that's sounds like the way to go - thanks One Shot.
    Is there anywhere you'd recommend to buy one - I'm in the Longford/ Westmeath area.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Not around that area sorry plenty of pla es in Kildare but action chimneys might be able to help. They work all over the country but most decent builders providers would have one or a place around that sells stoves

• Advertisement

Thanks again One Shot - I'll try the local hardware so.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Are you sure the wind is coming down the chimney, a lot of people put their hand in the fireplace, feel a draught and assume it's coming down when in fact it's going up.

When the fire is lighting, if there's a gusty wind out then we will get occasional puffs of smoke in the room.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    When the fire is lighting, if there's a gusty wind out then we will get occasional puffs of smoke in the room.

That's not a good thing no matter what the problem is but it would make sense what your thinking also make sure there is no obstructions in the flue reducing the draw. Like a birds nest or build up of sut

The chimney was cleaned over the summer so I'm reasonably sure there's a clear run.
    Also when cleaning the the fireplace you can see the dust being drawn up so I suppose that's good too. As I say, this problem only seems to occur when there's a gusty wind about.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭boiler break downs

Hermy wrote: »
    The chimney was cleaned over the summer so I'm reasonably sure there's a clear run.
    Also when cleaning the the fireplace you can see the dust being drawn up so I suppose that's good too. As I say, this problem only seems to occur when there's a gusty wind about.
    a spinning top solves no draw on flue and it also pulls up the heat .there also noisy.a h cowl would work but there expensive .try an anti down draught divice .also called a static head.they divert the down draught.also a vent in the room for confection .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

You could try a cowl like one of these two-the shape makes it point away from the wind. I've never tried them out-does anyone have any experience of using this type in solving the O.P's problem?

august 2012 003.jpg

august 2012 005.jpg

Advertisement