Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How skeptical would you be.....

Options
  • 16-09-2012 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭

.....if someone told you that they had either travelled through time or came form another dimension,obviously the first thing we would ask is prove it! but as we all know time travellers and sliders(robbed from the show:pac:)can never prove anything in sci fi's so the best we can manage is the stories they would have to tell.In my opinion I would be more skeptical about time travel but a slider would be a different story,naturally id call them crazy but would listen to the story mainly as is theorized alternate dimensions could be very similar or very different i.e one dimension would never have gone through the dark ages so would be 1000 years more advanced or even better discoveries in science than we have made.Anyway what would you think? would you listen to the story or laugh all the way home?....and then post it on boards:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I don't think you fully understand what "dimensions" are.

As for evidence of time travelling, I would think the evidence required for such a monumental proposition would need be of a very high standard. Short of demonstrating the act itself, I would think a vast array of otherwise unknowable knowledge would have to be provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Gumbi wrote: »

As for evidence of time travelling, I would think the evidence required for such a monumental proposition would need be of a very high standard. Short of demonstrating the act itself, I would think a vast array of otherwise unknowable knowledge would have to be provided.

No need to be so awkward about wording,lets put it in other words how about alternate reality or alternate universe?

No need to be so awkward about wording,lets put it in other words how about alternate reality or alternate universe?
    I'm not being awkward. The question didn't make sense to me. It's important to me that words used in maths and physics with real meanings aren't misused by applying wishy-washy/vague meanings to them.

I'm not being awkward. The question didn't make sense to me. It's important to me that words used in maths and physics with real meanings aren't misused by applying wishy-washy/vague meanings to them.

Fair enough if its important to you.....

Fair enough if its important to you.....
    I would also argue that it is generally important...

• Advertisement

Well if someone asked me a question and used the word alternate dimension I would know what hes talking about aswell as alternate universe/reality/timeline,unlike you im not a grammar/science nazi,so if you have nothing constructive to say please dont post on a thread that I started looking for general opinions, also in before "its an open forum" etc

Well if someone asked me a question and used the word alternate dimension I would know what hes talking about aswell as alternate universe/reality/timeline,unlike you im not a grammar/science nazi,so if you have nothing constructive to say please dont post on a thread that I started looking for general opinions, also in before "its an open forum" etc
    The conversation is pointless if the word is meaningless. From my understanding, using that word, you have no other explanation for it's possibility other than "magic". If that's the case the conversation is meaningless IMHO.

I'm being pedantic, but I feel like its important to do so in an effort to avoid wishy-washy terms and abuse of well-established ones is all.

And I gave a fair opinion for the second part ofthe q...

The conversation is pointless if the word is meaningless. From my understanding, using that word, you have no other explanation for it's possibility other than "magic". If that's the case the conversation is meaningless IMHO.

I'm being pedantic, but I feel like its important to do so in an effort to avoid wishy-washy terms and abuse of well-established ones is all.

And I gave a fair opinion for the second part ofthe q...

ok quoted from wiki.....
    parallel universes are also called "alternative universes", "quantum universes", "interpenetrating dimensions", "parallel dimensions", "parallel worlds", "alternative realities", "alternative timelines", and "dimensional planes," among others.

So as you can see there are many variants of the word so my "alternate dimensions" would be one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mannix80

I used to be a skeptic. Not anymore though. Certain things have happened to change my outlook. Thats why i joined boards to ask about it.

Mannix80 wrote: »
    I used to be a skeptic. Not anymore though. Certain things have happened to change my outlook. Thats why i joined boards to ask about it.

Care to share?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mannix80

Mannix80 wrote: »

Spooky goings on are common,also dont mind the begrudgers on boards either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

You'd have to be skeptical to the extreme if theres no way to prove it in some way or another. In fact, I wouldnt even be interested enough to be skeptical to be honest. Someone thinks they're from another dimension? Then let them on with it.

Im with Gumbi on this one. . . .
    But to answer the question, if somebody told me that they were from an alternate universe. I would not believe them as they dont really know what they are talking about :D Its a bit too vanilla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You well know what the OP was getting at, don't be so pedantic. If a person from a parallel universe/existence told you where he was from, would you believe him. How seriously hard is it to understand that?

EnterNow wrote: »

You well know what the OP was getting at, don't be so pedantic. If a person from a parallel universe/existence told you where he was from, would you believe him. How seriously hard is it to understand that?
    As for anything, I wouldn't believe him unless he proved it. How he could do so, I really don't know. Were talking about something so improbable (maybe impossible?) I cannot conceive any possible way of justifying such a position.

Would anyone believe him?

As for anything, I wouldn't believe him unless he proved it. How he could do so, I really don't know. Were talking about something so improbable (maybe impossible?) I cannot conceive any possible way of justifying such a position.

Would anyone believe him?

Isn't it fairly respected theory in modern day physics, that every possibility, can & does happen? We don't know near enough about quantum theory & multi-dimensional physics to say yes or no to this. Einsteins model does allow for forwards travel into the future too, so it's not without a solid basis/foundation, unlike, say, religious beliefs. More people devout the lives around the globe to pure belief, I don't see why an unproven theory such as this, should garner any less skepticism that the many different conflicting faiths around the world.

Would I believe such a claim? Well no, not without substantial proof. I wouldn't rule it out under the guise of 'hogwash' just because I simply and ignorantly discount the possibility...but I'd be more inclined to feel I was listening to the musings of a mad man until otherwise proven.

well if somebody says they are from an alternate reality is a very linear comment in a non linear subject for me screams "i do not know what i am talking about"

If you want to go into it deeply you could say alternate realities are infinite and the difference between one reality and the next could be weather or not somebody skipped breakfast or not. So if somebody did travel from another reality they probably wouldnt have even noticed.

If you want to go into it deeply you could say alternate realities are infinite and the difference between one reality and the next could be weather or not somebody skipped breakfast or not. So if somebody did travel from another reality they probably wouldnt have even noticed.

I believe thats what the theory is basically saying. It's mad to think, that even if a dinosaur ate/didn't eat a particular meal hundreds of millions of years ago, it might make a new timeline/alternate reality. The amount of them being made every second would be literally mind boggling.

The question is, if a technology existed that allowed a person to transverse the barrier between such realities {more than likely science fiction} would you believe them? I'm probably with you on this, no.

The question is, if a technology existed that allowed a person to transverse the barrier between such realities {more than likely science fiction} would you believe them? I'm probably with you on this, no.

whos is to say we dont do it ourselves. :eek: getting deeper, this thread is like insurrection on steroids !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i wouldnt over simplify the idea of alternative realities. The energy and atoms that make me up as a person, might be used to make a milk carton in another reality - alternate realities apparently have the same atoms (as they can be in multiple places at thge one time) but no-one has stated those atoms *have* to make the same things as they do here.

maccored wrote: »
    i wouldnt over simplify the idea of alternative realities. The energy and atoms that make me up as a person, might be used to make a milk carton in another reality - alternate realities apparently have the same atoms (as they can be in multiple places at thge one time) but no-one has stated those atoms *have* to make the same things as they do here.

In Quantum theory, electrons & protons regularly disappear only to re-emerge at random & unpredictable locations {speaking sub-atomically}. Where do they go? They indeed go somewhere, & quantum theory is so bizarre at times, whos to say that if the 'multiverse' theory is correct, that every universe doesn't share the same basic energy/matter.

Mad, mad, mad stuff. Very interesting though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

I'd be very spectical, and prob check breath for alcohol and eyes for dilated pupils, and very quickly, get off the bus.

The more I read this thread though, I find myself asking, "Is the notion of a person, able to leave their own realm & enter ours" any less credible than the notion that spirits/ghosts are able to do it?

Jesus Christ made some pretty wild claims about two thousand years ago, & that doesn't stop half the planet worshiping him as a deity/saviour.

Just a reminder really, a lot of people believe in wilder things than the notion of a multiverse

The more I read this thread though, I find myself asking, "Is the notion of a person, able to leave their own realm & enter ours" any less credible than the notion that spirits/ghosts are able to do it?

Jesus Christ made some pretty wild claims about two thousand years ago, & that doesn't stop half the planet worshiping him as a deity/saviour.

Just a reminder really, a lot of people believe in wilder things than the notion of a multiverse

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I knew a bloke who said matter-of-factly that he had came to earth from another planet. He had a name for it and all (which I'm not going to name here, and not because it's rude/offensive - it isn't). By all intents and purposes, he led a very ordinary, run-of-the-mill life, but he just thought he was a stranger in a foreign land temporarily, so to speak.

It didn't sound crazy to me. I'm sure there are many people on earth who regularly feel like they came from another planet or dimension and, yet, they're still normal, highly functional people.

Everyone has their own individual perception of who they are, where they may have came from (whether that's simply from the womb, heaven, another dimension or planet, or thin air), and their place in the world. If they aren't harming anyone because of those beliefs, then I say best of luck to them. To each their own.

I knew a bloke who said matter-of-factly that he had came to earth from another planet. He had a name for it and all (which I'm not going to name here, and not because it's rude/offensive - it isn't). By all intents and purposes, he led a very ordinary, run-of-the-mill life, but he just thought he was a stranger in a foreign land temporarily, so to speak.

It didn't sound crazy to me. I'm sure there are many people on earth who regularly feel like they came from another planet or dimension and, yet, they're still normal, highly functional people.

Everyone has their own individual perception of who they are, where they may have came from (whether that's simply from the womb, heaven, another dimension or planet, or thin air), and their place in the world. If they aren't harming anyone because of those beliefs, then I say best of luck to them. To each their own.

Absolutely. Many, many people believe in reincarnation. Why, if such a phenomenon exists, would reincarnation be limited to life on Earth? Assuming there is life elsewhere (I think only the most closed minded of people these days would say we're the only ones in this very very large universe) surely it wouldn't be limited to this planet? Surely it would be able to die elsewhere & be reincarnated here?

Personally I don't believe in reincarnation, but many many do & I can respect that. If it exists, surely its universal?

People tend to suspend disbelief and rational thinking when it comes to certain beliefs. Look at religion for example. Many people lead perfectly rational lives - that is, until it comes to their specific deistic belief, in which case they suspend their rationality.

I quite like Dawkin's theory describing it as some by-product of evolution. Somebody correct me if i have that wrong, it's been a while since I read The God Delusion.

Alternate maccored :pac:

1225654908025_f.jpg

• Advertisement

Alternate maccored :pac:

1225654908025_f.jpg

V Funny TallaghtMick, V Funny. : )

Proof positive?

http://youtu.be/6oqXVx3sBOk
    Perhaps I too could be a teapot in another dimension.

Advertisement