Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGCE in the UK with an Irish Bachelors Degree.

• 16-09-2012 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Says it all in the title. I have an Irish Bachelors Degree in Arts and was wondering if i would be able to do a PGCE in England to become a qualified teacher there? I have been teaching English in France for 4 years (not as a qualified teacher though) and would like to teach French in the UK. Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Says it all in the title. I have an Irish Bachelors Degree in Arts and was wondering if i would be able to do a PGCE in England to become a qualified teacher there? I have been teaching English in France for 4 years (not as a qualified teacher though) and would like to teach French in the UK. Anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks in advance

My friend is starting one next week with an Irish degree. So the answer is yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

philologos wrote: »
    My friend is starting one next week with an Irish degree. So the answer is yes you can.

Thanks did your friend need to get it verified by the University or by a body like NARIC? Thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

philologos wrote: »

Thanks did your friend need to get it verified by the University or by a body like NARIC? Thanks for the reply

From what I remember he had to get in verified by the university.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thanks in advance

Is your arts degree in French and English?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Is your arts degree in French and English?

No it was a very general degree - cultural studies. Literature/drama and french were all modules but it did leave me with a bachelor of arts degree. I have a strong feeling that this won't be adequate and was wondering what extra work I would need to take on the get anywhere near the PGCE course.

I've emailed several universities so something might come of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No it was a very general degree - cultural studies. Literature/drama and french were all modules but it did leave me with a bachelor of arts degree. I have a strong feeling that this won't be adequate and was wondering what extra work I would need to take on the get anywhere near the PGCE course.

I've emailed several universities so something might come of that.

You would probably need to contact whatever the UK equivalent of the Teaching Council is to see what you would need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

Thanks in advance

It's up to the individual universities to decide if your degree qualifies you for their PGCE - as a general rule you would normally want to have at least 50% of your degree in your chosen subject. Some uni's offer subject knowledge enhancement courses if you dont have enough from your degree. You may also get extra credit for the time you lived in france.

Best thing to do is to look under the "course search" on http://www.gttr.ac.uk/ where you can find each individual universities course entry requirements, then get in touch with a few to discuss your case with them.

Advertisement