Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's Only Money

• 16-09-2012 12:45pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Marian Finucane on the radio this morning talking with Eddie Hobbs about the state of the economy and the recession and the two of them opining that:

"it's only money...there's more important things in life to people in deep debt."

Very easy to say from where they're sitting. RTE presenters are living on another planet. :mad::rolleyes:

Of course there are more important things in life than money - but without money it's a tad hard to have any sort of life in the first place.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Eddie is one seriously irritating git.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭talla10

Eddie Hobbs wasen't saying that on Rip Off Republic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

isn't she on close to 500k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

"Let them eat cake!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Without money we'd be eating grass and mud.

Money doesn't matter when you have it and don't owe any of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

Only the well off say that money isn't everything.

The guy sounds like he wants to be hated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Why is Edddie Hobbs even on RTE giving financial advice. Isn't he the tool that kept telling people to buy property at the height of the boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Why pay attention to what 2 fools have said on a rubbish radio show? F*ck them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I wish that some technical catastrophe happened that wiped every piece of information on peoples' debt would happen (did that happen in Fight Club).

That would probably lead to a host of other problems, but sure it would give those in serious financial trouble a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I hate this "it's only money" rhetoric.

Money, in terms of the paper it's printed on, is pretty irrelevant, yes. But what is it really? It is the system we have decided to use in order to allocate finite goods and services between one another, so dismissing it in such terms is patronising and more than a little pointless.

But I do find Marian Finucane one of the better radio presenters.

After all, they do say that seven year olds ask the best questions. Marian asks questions like a 7 year old. How many times does she interject some dry diatribe with a why? whereas others would feign understanding. I think that's great.

She knows her job is to ask the right questions and facilitate debate, and she does it very well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Why is Edddie Hobbs even on RTE giving financial advice. Isn't he the tool that kept telling people to buy property at the height of the boom.

He was the tool telling everyone to buy a 2nd house, remortgate and rent out the second house, you'd be mad not to.

A complete gob****e, shouldn't be on the telly/radio tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I can't stand that program. A bunch of self proclaimed social commentators and intellectuals (I'm not anti-intellectual, my point is that few of the people on the show deserve the designation) floating away on their own comfortable little cloud.
    Plus, voice of someone who gargles cock for a living.
    That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Marian "because I'm worth it" Finucane

Zero credibility as a journalist

The last time I listened to her she was questioning a politician about waste in the public sector. I was amazed he didnt just sit there going "Feck off Marian pull the other one" and laughing at her. It's one thing to be paid a ridiculous salary, its wholly another kettle of fish to take the high moral ground where she is the perfect example of screwing as much money out of the taxpayer as possible. Vomitus stuff. I don't listen to her show because of her salary and her hypocrisy.

FFS she's on almost three grand an hour:eek:

A thought experiment - How much would RTE's ratings be affected if they fired all the big earners and hired a bunch of media graduates on the average industrial salary and one year contracts? Personally I doubt it would be all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Goggleyed_gimp

You can't forget that it is a programme, and that the presenters aren't always the writers. RTE is regulated by our government, which in turn is regulated by the EU. So theoretically, what we see on tv and hear on radio is controlled by the EU. Your wan marian and your man eddie are merely mediums, they are getting paid at the end of the day, they don't care! I'm not saying they don't believe what they air, they may also be bery very simple- and ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

"Let them snort coke!!"

fixed that

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It was the sheer hypocrisy of Finucane and Hobbs that angered me.

How can they have the neck to tell peope that "it's only money - there are more important things in life" when they are on huge salaries and (in Hobbs's case) seem to have incredibly short memories?

People are drowning in a sea of debt and mortgage arrears and the doyennes of RTE patronise them in a stomach churning manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

How many Marian Finucane threads are needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

A few points.

First, Eddie Hobbs was not telling people to go out and buy second houses. In fact, well before the worm had turned in the economy, he was screaming at people to stop piling into residential property and sell that bloody flat in bulgaria even if it means you make a loss. Anyone who read his magazine or watched his programmes could tell you that.

He got involved in a fund relating to commercial property in mainland Europe, and this is where a lot of the confusion comes from. However, if you think buying commercial property in an established mature economy is the same as buying into the domestic residential property bubble, then you're an absolute muppet. I don't know how the fund has performed. But I'd wager it's done a bit better than Irish residential property as a whole.

For the record, I'm not Eddie Hobbs. I don't agree with everything he says, and don't enjoy listening to him on the radio. But I have had dealings with him, and he's a very straight guy.

In relation to the 'it's only money' comment, I know it sounds a bit 'let them eat cake'. But for people really struggling with debts, it can seem like money is the only thing that matters, and you can ignore other blessings like a great partner or family. Reminding people in that boat that there are other things in life is important.

Seriously, some people on AH need to lighten up, or just turn off the radio if it makes them that angry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

What the hell is a chain smoking hag doing earning 500,000 a year? Surely there's better talent out there for a fraction of that price. You could probably get somebody on benefits to do it for an extra 50 euro a week.

Utter disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Well tbh, yeah its easy for them to say money doesnt matter and for us to think what do they know, we're the ones in debt, struggling every day to pay bills etc. but at the end of the day, that poor woman who lost her husband and two sons would not take money over having them back. All the money in the world means jack **** compared to your health and your family, and people forget that sometimes.

Not for one second implying money isnt a serious issue in peoples lives though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Tasden wrote: »
    Well tbh, yeah its easy for them to say money doesnt matter and for us to think what do they know, we're the ones in debt, struggling every day to pay bills etc. but at the end of the day, that poor woman who lost her husband and two sons would not take money over having them back. All the money in the world means jack **** compared to your health and your family, and people forget that sometimes.

Unfortunately, good health means having money with the cost of health insurance. People are having to move countries which means they don't have their families by their side everyday.

I know what you mean though in fairness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Be careful what you say about that complete gobshyte.

http://www.eddiehobbs.com/_blog/EddiesBlog/post/Why_I%27m_suing_the_Irish_Independent/

Also, he forced a Labour TD Michael McCarthy to apologise to him last year on Matt Cooper for linking him Corporate Pensions & Trustee Services.

http://www.mount-street.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Tasden wrote: »

Unfortunately, good health means having money with the cost of health insurance. People are having to move countries which means they don't have their families by their side everyday.

I know what you mean though in fairness

Hence the side note at the end! Obviously money is needed, but having less than one would like is not the end of the world. It goes without saying that Im not talking about people in dire situations with no money or support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

geeky wrote: »
    He got involved in a fund relating to commercial property in mainland Europe, and this is where a lot of the confusion comes from. However, if you think buying commercial property in an established mature economy is the same as buying into the domestic residential property bubble, then you're an absolute muppet. I don't know how the fund has performed. But I'd wager it's done a bit better than Irish residential property as a whole.

Was he not involved in fronting an investment in Bulgarian property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Oh if I ever came to power there would be a lot of missiles shoved up those gobshite presenters over at RTE! :mad:

They are the best we can do for entertainment and current affairs? And we pay them howwww much?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

525k annual salary for four hours of radio a week from Marian

At least Pat Kenny works most every day

There is where your license fee money is going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Aidric wrote: »
    How many Marian Finucane threads are needed?

525,000 of them.
    One for every Euro she is paid from the public coffers every year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

mikemac1 wrote: »
    525k annual salary for four hours of radio a week from Marion

And she had to audacity to say last year that she does more than 4 hours a week - she listens current affairs on the radio throughout the week and watches shows such as Primetime. Just as half the population does for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

525k annual salary for four hours of radio a week from Marion

And they are such old fashioned, out of touch elitists! At least English television and radio seems of much broader taste and of higher standards of entertainment to justify its funding.

What tf do we have here? The late late that has gone on 30 seasons too many and caters to the older generation, and Saturday night with that boring bitch who can't even do her job, Miriam.

It's disgraceful how much money is pissed away on this crap to presenters that are known in the public eye to be bad and uninteresting at their jobs but still happily keep them. Only in Ireland

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

girl2 wrote: »
    I wish that some technical catastrophe happened that wiped every piece of information on peoples' debt would happen (did that happen in Fight Club).

That would probably lead to a host of other problems, but sure it would give those in serious financial trouble a break.

One rule, just one rule and you had to go and break it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Hopefully when she is sat in front of the managing director of RTE and he has a new contract for her to sign with an 90% reduction in salary she will remember those insightful words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 386dx_009

isn't she on close to 500k?

tis only money shur

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

oh i feel sorry for those two, poor rich people

moe syzlak:

Oh, you're better off. Rich people aren't happy. From the day they're born to the day they die, they <think> they're happy, but trust me. They ain't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

this is the same Marian Finucane who was whinging last year that she supposedly couldnt afford to buy her kids an Ipad AND an Xbox for crimbo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

525k annual salary for four hours of radio a week from Marian

525000 is 43,750 a month

And that's 10,937.50 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Aidric wrote: »
    Was he not involved in fronting an investment in Bulgarian property?

Nope. It was largely around commercial property in markets like Germany, etc. He was telling all and sundry to avoid Bulgaria like the plague, specifically because of dodgy planning and overbuilding.

I remember it distinctly because I thought it was a seriously silly move from a PR point of view. Let's be honest, the media and public don't do nuance, especially when it comes to investment and money. People saw Eddie fronting something property related, and figured he'd joined the 'get a 120% buy-to-let mortgage while you can!' brigade.

Here's a bit on the strategy at present: http://www.brendaninvestments.ie:7080/strategy/
    And here's a bit on the performance:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0218/1224311977789.html

To date, it hasn't done great at all, though probably a bit better than most property-focused funds over the period. More to the point, it's damaged his media career - any half-bright numpty who wants to undermine him just accuses him of peddling flats in Eastern Europe, and mud sticks.
    Motorist wrote: »
    Be careful what you say about that complete gobshyte.

http://www.eddiehobbs.com/_blog/EddiesBlog/post/Why_I%27m_suing_the_Irish_Independent/

Also, he forced a Labour TD Michael McCarthy to apologise to him last year on Matt Cooper for linking him Corporate Pensions & Trustee Services.

http://www.mount-street.com/

Yeah, sticking up for his good name, what a d1ckhead.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Oh you're going out the same way you came in
    Makes no difference who you are or where you been
    Skid row Joe or superstar, you may drive a brand new car
    But you're going out the same way you came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Where To wrote: »
    Oh you're going out the same way you came in
    Makes no difference who you are or where you been
    Skid row Joe or superstar, you may drive a brand new car
    But you're going out the same way you came in.

:eek:

No Im fcuking not!!!!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Not if it's money with my face on it.

could even be counterfeit; who cares..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

this is the same Marian Finucane who was whinging last year that she supposedly couldnt afford to buy her kids an Ipad AND an Xbox for crimbo.

no i think that was the one who does prime time, the one with 800 kids. Marian Finucane kids days are over she is like 95 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Easy enough for them to say, **** :mad:

Advertisement