Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One cable modem for internet and the other for phone?

• 16-09-2012 1:17pm

Hi all,

I'm a UPC customer and I am lucky enough to have one of the standalone cable modems so I can use my own router effectively. I recently went for an upgrade where we got digital+ and a landline and UPC sent me a new modem / router combo with an analogue ta built in.

I have no desire to use the new modem / router combo for internet and I was wondering if I could use it only for the phone feature and leave my existing cable modem as it is. I was hoping that this setup would be ok seeing as both modems be provisioned as they both came from UPC.

Anybody else doing something similar?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

90% sure this cant work. Only one MAC address allowed per line(the phone is VOIP so essentially you'd have two internet lines doing so).

Thanks, I was thinking there could be an issue like that. The last thing I would want is my old modem to be knocked off by connecting the new one. I might go for the dual router approach where the UPC router just forwards everything to my current router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,305 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Speak to UPC, it may not be possible for a consumer, but multiple modems is precisely how UPC provide multiple lines for small business customers - someone with 5 lines will have three modems for VOIP (2x2 and 1 on the 3rd) and one for data, and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

If you have more than one point in the house just plug them both in and see what happens....I wouldn't have though twice about it before trying it.
    If it works then your elected.

Advertisement