Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first Oz interview.....

Options
  • 16-09-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

......is taking place in a cafe and the interview is not for a job in the actual cafe :)

This is a very informal setting compared to what I'm used to in previous interviews. I've even been told not to wear a suit and to "come as you are".

The position is for a technical role in a large global telecomms company. I heard the Aussies were laid back but I wasn't expecting this.

Is this format of interviewing the norm? I'm kind of thrown for a loop as to how "laid back" I should be :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Be yourself, if you know your stuff you'll be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

It's definitely not the norm in my experience. I have had interviews in semi-formal settings but they were usually "sounding-out" sessions that were followed by more interviews. It probably depends on level of role you are applying for, if it is junior or short-term then maybe a quick chat to verify you are not an axe murderer is enough for them.

In any case I'd dress smart/business casual, prepare well and then just relax and take interviewer's lead on how to interact. Good luck anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

kkelly77 wrote: »
    ......is taking place in a cafe and the interview is not for a job in the actual cafe :)

This is a very informal setting compared to what I'm used to in previous interviews. I've even been told not to wear a suit and to "come as you are".

The position is for a technical role in a large global telecomms company. I heard the Aussies were laid back but I wasn't expecting this.

Is this format of interviewing the norm? I'm kind of thrown for a loop as to how "laid back" I should be :confused:

In fairness you can tell a lot about a person by how they normally dress. Anybody can just stick on a shirt and tie and look semi professional y'know..?

I can see why an employer wants to do this in an informal setting. If you strip away all the structure of a formal interview I reckon you get a better indication of the type of personality the interviewee has.

I think they just want to know what you are normally like, as opposed to having a formal structured interview with you just telling them all about your qualifications and where you've worked before...

Amywho seeing as you got the interview it means ya have one foot in the door. Just chillax and make sure you ask some questions of your own, an interview should be a two way thing not just 30 minutes of you responding to questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Nothing unusual at all about that - have often spoken to candidates over a coffee. Especially if we're short on rooms on the day in particular, or I really want a coffee.

Thing is - its still an interview, so all the usual still applies. As jackbhoy said - business casual is a good idea, never any harm in being presentable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Just be careful that it doesn't mean they are hiding something.

Friend of mine had an interview at a coffee shop for a general admin role.
    Turns out the reason he wanted to do it there was because his "office" was in his front living room.

I doubt you'll have that problem with a large multi-national but there could be some other reason they don't want you seeing where you'll be working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Are you sure the interview is with the company directly?

Sounds like you are going to meet a Recruiter of some sort ... be it Internal, RPO or Agency.

If you would like PM me the details of the person and I can find out for your via LinkedIn if they are a recruiter or a internal representative of the company.

Advertisement