Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo DS or Andriod Tablet for 6 year old?

Options
  • 16-09-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

I'd really like some opinions on a decision we are trying to make here at home. It's out son's sixth birthday soon and his Aunt wants to get him a DS or a tablet. There was a tablet on one of the deals websites that was reduced to the same price as a DS, and so the discussion began here at home...the problem is, the tablet has sold out before his Aunt got round to buying it, and hence is leaning towards the DS now, probably moreso out of default than anything else.

We all chatted about it the other day and seemed to conclude that a tablet would be better as it's not just for gaming, and is essentially a mini laptop that he could use for all sorts of educational and fun stuff. Personally I don't want him to have a DS as I don't think there's as much scope with them for use as a tablet. They are primarily for gaming AFAIK, and I don't like the idea of him hammered into playing games constantly from 6 onwards. Also there's the price of the games etc. A least with the tablet you have the internet at your disposal, as opposed to having to buy a new DS game each time he gets bored with the old one.

I see the tablet as more of a lifestyle thing, as in, they are becoming more and more used in schools for educational stuff, and it is the way that personal technology is going at the moment. He is going to be using that stuff anyway I feel, its going to be part of his everyday life, and I think he is ready for it. The DS and the likes just seem limited and aimed at a different market, i.e. gaming, as opposed to being a tool they can use in a variety of situations.

Anyway, I know where I stand at the moment, but I'm open to suggestions as the topic will come up again here at home now that the tablet is sold out and I want to be prepared for it! I'm not looking for pro-tablet arguements as such, I'm happy to hear about both sides of the arguement so I know where I'm coming from. I'd hate for the DS to be bought just because the tablet is sold out, especially when we more or less agreed that the tablet was the best option...

Thanks.

Ro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

IMO a tablet - for all the reasons you listed above

Advertisement