Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Latest Polls - FG down, SF & Indos up

• 16-09-2012 2:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭

Well here's the latest polls, FG are down 2 to 31%, SF are second up 1 to 18%, FF remain at 16% and Labour at 14%. FF's percentage hasn't changed since the last election 18 months ago, seems they cannot budge from their core rural elderly vote which hopefully will dwindle with time :) Indos's doing well with 19%.

Your thoughts folks ?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/poll-indicates-two-point-drop-for-fg-567072.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That the government parties still have 45% of the popular vote as measured in a snapshot should give them some heart oddly enough!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

mike65 wrote: »
    That the government parties still have 45% of the popular vote as measured in a snapshot should give them some heard oddly enough!
    I suppose it would. I still reckon we're in for a FG and FF coalition after the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I suppose it would. I still reckon we're in for a FG and FF coalition after the next election.

SF will be above 20% by election time I reckon.

So it could come down to FF/FG or SF/Labour/Independents which would be interesting ...

A real Right versus Left election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

With the two government parties at 45% in the midst of constant criticism, I would expect them to finish with over 50% in an election held in the next six months once the poverty of the opposition policy is exposed.

As an election is unlikely to be held in the next six months, the poll has no meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

The biggest standout of this poll for me is Fianna Fáil leader Mícheál Martins drop of seven points to 34%. Terrible result for him. The whinge politics is definitely not working for him

Fianna Fail themselves are still stuck in the mud at 16%.

Terrible result for the party that ruined our economy

• Advertisement

thebman wrote: »

So it could come down to FF/FG or SF/Labour/Independents which would be interesting ...

Yes my own thoughts, we have never had opposition politics in this state, the FF v FG circus was just like the Democrats and Republicans in America. Interestingly, their already is a more left breakaway faction in the Labour party called the Campaign for Labour Policies (CPL). Interesting times ahead, pity it took the destruction of the country to bring it about.

CPL - http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/labour-members-launch-alternatives-to-austerity-campaign-566646.html

Although I will be the first to admit that polls are not sacrosanct and the only true way of gauging public opinion is actual election results, one thing about this poll and other recent ones, is that 1% of voters that FG have dropped would vote SF. You can see a clear pattern emerging that SF are becoming more voter transfer friendly, something that will help them gain more seats in close run contests in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I believe Sinn Fein will be central to the next government: the "beal bocht" constituency is drifting away from Labour to the various hard left groups like the ULA and Sinn Fein. Sinn Fein can easily go into power with any of Fianna Fail, Labour or the ULA. I wouldn't say Sinn Fein would make huge gains as such or that Gerry Adams will officially lead the coalition, but they'll dominate any government they enter. It will be a disastrous government for Ireland.

Meanwhile, Fine Gael have ignored the reform agenda they were put into power to implement so I see their vote not so much transferring as not bothering to turn out next time around. Their vote could simply disappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Sand wrote: »
    I believe Sinn Fein will be central to the next government: the "beal bocht" constituency is drifting away from Labour to the various hard left groups like the ULA and Sinn Fein. Sinn Fein can easily go into power with any of Fianna Fail, Labour or the ULA. I wouldn't say Sinn Fein would make huge gains as such or that Gerry Adams will officially lead the coalition, but they'll dominate any government they enter. It will be a disastrous government for Ireland.

Meanwhile, Fine Gael have ignored the reform agenda they were put into power to implement so I see their vote not so much transferring as not bothering to turn out next time around. Their vote could simply disappear.

Surely you mean far left :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Your thoughts folks ?

It shows that the population at large are idiots; unable to understand that regardless of what party/parties get voted in, the country is stuck on a fairly painful path for some time to come thanks to the rank stupidity of both "the soldiers of destiny" f*ckwit party and the self-same electorate that kept voting for Christmas like a bunch of Turkeys. There is no magic "I win" button that makes it all go away.

As Sand has said; if the poll is in any way an accurate prediction of a rise of SF into government & allowed to dictate policy fantasy, the impact will be an even longer run of depression for the country.

That's all that the above poll means; and it's an incredibly depressing thought at that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

FG are not overly affected by this poll. Labour is losing to Indos ( many Indos are loopers and I shudder to think of what might make it in in some rural areas that are not SF territory) and to the Shinners who are substantially less loopy than they were...even more so now they learnt to hide Ferris and O'Snodaigh from public facing roles although Ferris and O'Snodaigh "haven't gone away you know" :)

I'd say FG have Labour over a barrel in cabinet. There is no way out for Labour now. If they jump they will be hammered and if they don't they will be hammered anyway. Labour will go full term if they can and all their current ministers ( more or less) will retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Since the FF option of buying elections with giveaway budgets is gone, I'd hope that FG/Lab have some smarts and are front loading the 'pain' and intending to focus on more reform policies and Labour-esque social / liberal issues when it gets closer to the election. The electorate has shown it has a short memory so if they focus on substantial reform and deliver less harsh budgets in 2013/2014 then they might do the poor mans equivalent of buying the next election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I believe Sinn Fein will be central to the next government: the "beal bocht" constituency is drifting away from Labour to the various hard left groups like the ULA and Sinn Fein. Sinn Fein can easily go into power with any of Fianna Fail, Labour or the ULA.
    Disagree. Even today, all signs are showing that unemployment has plateaued and that the economy is finally starting to stabilize. Yes, there is tough medicine to come with the next two Budget's, but if we can get through this tricky period, then I think this country will be in a very good position in 18 months. Unemployment will take time to come down, but I suspect over the next few months we are going to see the numbers nudge downwards. Once this starts to filter through, support for the hard left is going to evaporate a lot quicker than many anticipate.

Even though Enda hasn't had the support of many in his own party, I said that when he was elected, he would go on to become a fine Taoiseach and that the history books would write very positively about his contribution. So far, he has exceeded expectations and I think that the electorate will recognise this and keep Fine Gael in power, and keep Sinn Féin out.

• Site Banned Posts: 29 road_hog

sinn fein are p1ssing me off lately with their rank populism

no one need pay for anything bar denis o brien and the guy who carries seanie fitz umbrella

True, SF might go on paying unguaranted and guaranteed bond holders billions while they close hospitals etc while failing to stop tax loopholes for the super rich with their tax exile status etc ...... unlike ofcourse FG/Labour !!!!!!
    FG's " reform agenda ", your kidding me. The same FG that was trying to out do FF during the property bubble demanding more fuel to be thrown on the fire by abolishing stamp duty while Labour called for greater public service and semi state pay rises :eek: :D

(SF will) dominate any government they enter. It will be a disastrous government for Ireland.

Hmm, don't agree with any of that.

1. Nobody will enter a coalition with SF as junior partner.
    2. Nobody will enter a coalition that would make Gerry Adams Taoiseach.
    3. FG are the least toxic centre party and is able to deflect heavily onto Labour...even the myriad failings of the boorish Hogan are not sticking to them and they have a plan to punt hiim off to Brussels after Property and Water Tax raising issues have been sorted and after he locks up a few septic tank protestors. Phil even recently hired Bertie and Brians head spin doctor to head up the imminent Water Charges spindoctoring for him.
    4. I'm not sure if FF will ever recover. No signs of it at grass roots level anyway.

Barring an unforeseen eruption on their flaccid backbenches FG will be the main party in the next coalition and SF will not be in that one either. :)

Of course if FG win the next election ( could be anytime in 2013-2016 but likely full term) then they will probably heave against Enda and lose it all, they have that sort of latent treachery in them. But for now they have outmanoevered everyone else almost by doing nothing, what a strange but comfortable position to be in. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Even though Enda hasn't had the support of many in his own party, I said that when he was elected, he would go on to become a fine Taoiseach and that the history books would write very positively about his contribution. So far, he has exceeded expectations and I think that the electorate will recognise this and keep Fine Gael in power, and keep Sinn Féin out.

He's certainly hasn't been a fine Taoiseach, when the chips are down he disappears, when there's some photo op on he reappears. He answers a few easy questions to journalists and is then pushed on by his many "advisors". He rarely hangs around to answer proper questions and get involved in a serious debate, the fact that he disappeared totally during the referendum this year apart from some photo ops on TV is indicative of this.

As a leader he has been invisible over the past 18 months IMO. I'm not disappointed in him as I expected very little of him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Sponge Bob wrote: »

3. FG are the least toxic centre party and is able to deflect heavily onto Labour...even the myriad failings of the boorish Hogan are not sticking to them and they have a plan to punt hiim off to Brussels after Property and Water Tax raising issues have been sorted and after he locks up a few septic tank protestors. Phil even recently hired Bertie and Brians head spin doctor to head up the imminent Water Charges spindoctoring for him.
    4. I'm not sure if FF will ever recover. No signs of it at grass roots level anyway.

Barring an unforeseen eruption on their flaccid backbenches FG will be the main party in the next coalition and SF will not be in that one either. :)

Of course if FG win the next election ( could be anytime in 2013-2016 but likely full term) then they will probably heave against Enda and lose it all, they have that sort of latent treachery in them. But for now they have outmanoevered everyone else almost by doing nothing, what a strange but comfortable position to be in. :)

I certainly hope they shunt Hogan off somewhere else, he has proved to be little better than the last lot in power, all talk and failing to act, or ignoring wrongdoing. FG need to get their act together and show they mean business and do what people elected them for, so far they are not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

Mr.Micro wrote: »

I certainly hope they shunt Hogan off somewhere else, he has proved to be little better than the last lot in power, all talk and failing to act, or ignoring wrongdoing. FG need to get their act together and show they mean business and do what people elected them for, so far they are not good enough.

So far they(FG) have proved that they come from the same sewer as FF. labour have been a let down but not a surprise. SF have actually performed quite well which was a surprise.

FG are traitors. Lining their own pockets like the last shower. Have achieved little or nothing to remove us from the sh1thole that we are sinking in. In fact They have added to it.

The real sad thing is that a lot worse has yet to come.

Yes, but do you think FG can form a govt on their own ? If the polls are anything to go on it's very doubtful. Or can you see FG and FF forming the next govt ?

• Advertisement

Yes, but do you think FG can form a govt on their own ? If the polls are anything to go on it's very doubtful. Or can you see FG and FF forming the next govt ?

I can see a minority FG government with FF implementing a Tallaght Strategy ( do not vote against) as Alan Dukes did in the late 1980s on economic matters and in the National Interest. Dukes did exactly the right thing back then of course.

I don't see FG getting a majority although they were only 10 seats shy of one the last time and arguably the FF vote could rise if they said they would do a Tallaght...and they might even do this to get at Labour. FG + FF have 96 out of 166 seats right now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I can see a minority FG government with FF implementing a Tallaght Strategy ( do not vote against) as Alan Dukes did in the late 1980s on economic matters and in the National Interest. Dukes did exactly the right thing back then of course.

I don't see FG getting a majority although they were only 10 seats shy of one the last time and arguably the FF vote could rise if they said they would do a Tallaght...and they might even do this to get at Labour. FG + FF have 96 out of 166 seats right now. :)

An FF Tallaght Strategy is a possibility but low probability. Given the poll numbers, especially the way the poll is fragmented between a lot of parties in or around the same, there is likely to be a fairly big seats bonus for the leading party, while FG would get 31% of the vote, they could easily get 37-38% of the seats.

In order of likelihood, I would see the following possibilities of a general election in 2015 with the results as per this poll.

(1) FG-Lab 60% chance
    (2) FG-Lab-likeminded Independents 20% chance
    (3) FG with FF Tallaght strategy - 12% chance
    (4) FG with like-minded Independents - 8% chance

To get FG out of Government, you would need SF, FF and the Independents together to be hitting 85 seats with none of those independents sympatethic to supporting FG or Labour. Not going to happen on current trends especially with Martin, Cuiv and O'Dea around to remind voters of the great job they did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 blatherskite

How likely would a FG majority government be after the next election? I'd like to see fine gael in power without labour or anyone else, no independants or people going against the grain. They'd need 84 seats is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

How likely would a FG majority government be after the next election? I'd like to see fine gael in power without labour or anyone else, no independants or people going against the grain. They'd need 84 seats is it?
    83 I think (the C.C. will cast his vote for the government).
    Any such government would be bound to collapse. In difficult times you don't want too much power in the hands of individual backbenchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

thebman wrote: »

Not as long as they keep Adams as leader. His performance on Primetime debate this week was nothing short of laughable.

Fitzerb wrote: »
    Not as long as they keep Adams as leader. His performance on Primetime debate this week was nothing short of laughable.

He couldn't give one example of an unpopular SF policy.

Fitzerb wrote: »

It really showed up the two opposition leaders to be buffoons.

Both Adams and Martin lost that debate.

I was funny when Martin said that Sinn Fein would ruin the economy. What arrogance ! Adams did rightly point out that Fianna Fail had already done that.

He couldn't give one example of an unpopular SF policy.
    Did you not notice the same wasn't asked of Martin though ;) It was a stupid and loaded question, after all we all seen the same Miriam O'Callaghan's lack of bias with Martin McGuinness during the Presidaental election didn't we :). Doubtless if Adams had fallen for the bait O'Callaghan would have turned it into a " SF leader has no faith in party's policies " smear. The Gombeens and partitionists haven't gone away you know !!!!!

raymon wrote: »
    It really showed up the two opposition leaders to be buffoons.

Both Adams and Martin lost that debate.

I was funny when Martin said that Sinn Fein would ruin the economy. What arrogance ! Adams did rightly point out that Fianna Fail had already done that.
    Agreed, I don't know why Pearse Doherty isn't SF's leader, Adams didn't hit home the punches.

• Advertisement

Did you not notice the same wasn't asked of Martin though ;) It was a stupid and loaded question, after all we all seen the same Miriam O'Callaghan's lack of bias with Martin McGuinness during the Presidaental election didn't we :). Doubtless if Adams had fallen for the bait O'Callaghan would have turned it into a " SF leader has no faith in party's policies " smear. The Gombeens and partitionists haven't gone away you know !!!!!

FF support government policies in many areas, policies that are unpopular e.g. Paying back bondholders. We have examples of unpopular FF policy, Miriam was looking for just one example of same from Gerry. Since SF are campaigning on pure populism he couldn't deliver

FF support government policies in many areas, policies that are unpopular e.g. Paying back bondholders. We have examples of unpopular FF policy, Miriam was looking for just one example of same from Gerry. Since SF are campaigning on pure populism he couldn't deliver
    So with Laminations, it's one rule for Gerry and SF and another for FF and everyone else !!!! Not an answer, you shouldn't have bothered :)

So with Laminations, it's one rule for Gerry and SF and another for FF and everyone else !!!! Not an answer, you shouldn't have bothered :)
    It is an answer. You don't need to ask both sides in a debate all the same questions when the answer of a question is already known for one party. We know an unpopular policy of FFs (bailing out bondholders), name me one from SF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I didn't say #1 or #2 or #4 (FFS - I find the fear of "Zombie FF" hilarious: as I've posted already FF is a brand name for negative equity, incompetence, Croke Park deals and failure.)

However, the allure of SF for Labour is Eamon Gilmore as Taoiseach. the allure of SF for Fianna Fail is down to Fianna Fails core principals and beliefs. At their core principals - the basic moral code that makes a Fianna Fail TD or activist get out of bed each morning - Fianna Fail are a giant vampire squid wrapped around the face of the Irish.

The allure of Labour for SF is that they can do for Labour what they did to the SDLP. The allure of FF for SF is that they point and laugh at them.

Fine Gael quite clearly cant comprehend *why* they went from zeros to heros in 2011. Its blatantly obvious that Enda Kenny is in a permament state of utter confusion - how the hell did he suddenly become popular enough to be Taoiseach? Its a question Enda and FG insiders must ask themselves every day as they pinch themselves.

Fine Gael have very little *core* support. They were elected by a large swing of voters rejecting Fianna Fail's incompetence and the clear failures of Irish governance. Fine Gael and Enda Kenny quite clearly don't understand this - they persist with trying to maintain the crazed and deluded strategies of the failed governments they were elected to change and reform. They persist with blatant corruption like paying their advisers in breach of stated limits or buying themselves iPads at public expense whilst forcing citizens to accept reduced services. Quite simply, Fine Gaels electoral vote will disappear in the next election.

The "beal bocht" voters will switch over to Sinn Fein who are still offering 2004 solutions for 2012 problems.

@SaoriseBiker
    True, SF might go on paying unguaranted and guaranteed bond holders billions while they close hospitals etc while failing to stop tax loopholes for the super rich with their tax exile status etc ...... unlike ofcourse FG/Labour !!!!!!

SF wont be able to - all unguaranteed bondholders will be paid out by the time they get into power. Big talk for small men.

If SF faced the same choice as FG/Labour, they would fold like a deck chair. They are desperately incompetent, and worse, they know it. Given their natural sympathies for the trade unions, Sinn Fein would be bullied and harried into following the same strategy of "Official Ireland" - sacrifice the young, the unemployed and the outsiders so we can borrow and borrow to pay and pay the best paid public sector in the world.

No matter who you vote for, the civil service always gets into government.

FG's " reform agenda ", your kidding me. The same FG that was trying to out do FF during the property bubble demanding more fuel to be thrown on the fire by abolishing stamp duty while Labour called for greater public service and semi state pay rises

Read through the FG 2011 manifesto - its a wonderful work of fiction, but also a template for practical reform of Irish government. Just a shame that FG threw it out as soon as they seized power.

I suppose that if the Official IRA can get into the department of Justice then anything is possible Sand :)

It is an answer. You don't need to ask both sides in a debate all the same questions when the answer of a question is already known for one party. We know an unpopular policy of FFs (bailing out bondholders), name me one from SF?
    Nope, it's still not answer ;):) You might as well have said O'Callaghan and the other cronies can only ask this type of question of Adams because has a beard while Martin, Gilmore and Kenny haven't !!!!!!

Indeed I sometimes wonder if the cause of O'Callaghan's bias is because SF want to cap semi state employees at €100,000 and hence she and others such as Pat Kenny etc have such a anti SF bias ??

• Advertisement

I suppose that if the Official IRA can get into the department of Justice then anything is possible Sand :)
    Ray Burke and Sean Doherty (who had to resign from the Guards in Sligo due to financial bankruptcy and then very unfortunately go into politics) also were former Ministers for Justice. That's FF for you :)

Nope, it's still not answer ;):) You might as well have said O'Callaghan and the other cronies can only ask this type of question of Adams because has a beard while Martin, Gilmore and Kenny haven't !!!!!!
    Your beard example misses the point. If O'Callaghan asked Micheal Martin was he thinking of growing a beard would that have been biased if she didn't ask Gerry the same question even though the answer is as clear as the beard on his face?

We ALL know FF have some unpopular policies (especially as they support government policies in many areas), we don't know if SF has any hence it's justified to ask them for an example

Adams couldn't name one unpopular SF policy. You have an opportunity to correct that - name a SF policy that'd be unpopolar with the general electorate?

SF wont be able to - all unguaranteed bondholders will be paid out by the time they get into power. Big talk for small men.

If SF faced the same choice as FG/Labour, they would fold like a deck chair. They are desperately incompetent, and worse, they know it. Given their natural sympathies for the trade unions, Sinn Fein would be bullied and harried into following the same strategy of "Official Ireland" - sacrifice the young, the unemployed and the outsiders so we can borrow and borrow to pay and pay the best paid public sector in the world.

No matter who you vote for, the civil service always gets into government.
    I mentioned the paying unguaranteed and guaranteed bondholders to show the immorality of the paying out to the gambling mega rich in Europe, and of course the unguaranteed will have been paid off thanks to FG/Labour and FF before SF get to power in this state. FG/Labour's approach has been to actually make telling the gamblers to feck off more and more difficult :rolleyes: SF aren't in cahoots with the likes of Sir Tony O'Reilly, Denis O'Brien etc like FG/Labour/FF, SF are hated by the filthy rich of this state - hence the hostility of them and their like minded admirers on internet forums such as this :)
    Read through the FG 2011 manifesto - its a wonderful work of fiction, but also a template for practical reform of Irish government. Just a shame that FG threw it out as soon as they seized power.
    Cann't be ar$ed reading a document that's irrelevant to see the hypcrisy and lies of FG as I'm only too aware of it as it is.

Your beard example misses the point. If O'Callaghan asked Micheal Martin was he thinking of growing a beard would that have been biased if she didn't ask Gerry the same question even though the answer is as clear as the beard on his face?

We ALL know FF have some unpopular policies (especially as they support government policies in many areas), we don't know if SF has any hence it's justified to ask them for an example

Adams couldn't name one unpopular SF policy. You have an opportunity to correct that - name a SF policy that'd be unpopolar with the general electorate?
    Your the one deliberately ignoring the point buddy, not me :) O'Callaghan is supposed to be impartial and not have her won agenda which clearly she has.
    As for SF's unpopular policy's - refusing to condemn the shooting of McCabe in Adare, SF's immigration policy which many say will open up the doors for all to come into the country, Ferris just last week refusing to condemn the RIRA at the funeral etc

SF immigration policy. http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/9930

FG/Labour's approach has been to actually make telling the gamblers to feck off more and more difficult :rolleyes:

That's not their 'approach'; that was the conditions placed on them by the previous government, the bank bail out and the European Central bank
    SF aren't in cahoots with the likes of Sir Tony O'Reilly, Denis O'Brien etc like FG/Labour/FF,

I would take them over people like Marian Price and the other terrorist funerals SF members feel the need to attend
    SF are hated by the filthy rich of this state - hence the hostility of them and their like minded admirers on internet forums such as this :)

It is not just the 'rich' who 'hate' Sinn Fein

They are disliked by true republicans and practically every other party in the Dail. Their policies are economically illiterate (did anyone see that lecturer on Vincent Browne the other night espousing socialist policies that he couldn't back up by saying how he'd pay for the public deficit / public spending if bailout money was removed immediately?? He suggested jailing the rich!)
    So their policies are laughable and their membership is top heavy with people who have innocent blood on their hands

• Advertisement

That's not their 'approach'; that was the conditions placed on them by the previous government, the bank bail out and the European Central bank
    Ever hear of for example, it will be Labour's way not Frankfurt's way ? :) FG didn't have the conditions placed on them, they voted for the super rich's bailout.
    I would take them over people like Marian Price and the other terrorist funerals SF members feel the need to attend
    You would wouldn't you, crony capitalists that have destroyed the country and who amassed their fortunes thanks to dodgy deals with Eircom, mobile phone license's, tax exile status etc :rolleyes:

They are disliked by true republicans and practically every other party in the Dail. Their policies are economically illiterate (did anyone see that lecturer on Vincent Browne the other night espousing socialist policies that he couldn't back up by saying how he'd pay for the public deficit / public spending if bailout money was removed immediately?? He suggested jailing the rich!)
    So their policies are laughable and their membership is top heavy with people who have innocent blood on their hands
    I'm sure you'd regard yourself as a ' true Republican ' alright :D Your all for armed resistance so long as it's 90 years ago or 4,000 miles away or something !!!!!

Keiran Allen was the lecturer you were talking about, he has nothing whatsoever to do with SF and is a member of the Socialist Workers Party - as you probably know well. It shows just how desperate your getting when you have to try and smear SF with the tacit of claiming Allen is a SFer !!!!! And of course you forgot to mention that the McGuirk guy praised SF's policy of a 48% tax rate on income in excess of €100,000 - raises 410 million per annum, costed by the Dept of Finance like all other econoimc policy's of SF. As for the " SF illiterates " straw that's wearing thinner by the day as the latest Red C poll out today shows !!!!

STATE OF THE PARTIES

Fine Gael: 32% (no change)

Labour: 14% (-1)

Fianna Fáil: 18% (no change)

Sinn Féin: 18% (+2)

Independents/Green/others: 18% (-1)

http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Red+C+poll%3A+coalition+parties+steady/id/19410613-8350-5dd0-ab89-e91345133137

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭EURATS

FG/Labour's approach has been to actually make telling the gamblers to feck off more and more difficult :rolleyes:

Quote laminations:

###

A true FG man here..how convenient to continue to blame the previous government. Is wearing thin now bud. FG promised change..In fact they promised the sun, moon and stars...and what did they deliver? ......SFA. More cuts and much more misery to come for the people of the Republic of Ireland.

They also encouraged us like their FF and labour cohorts to entrench ourselves even deeper into the quagmire that is the EU.. With Lisbon and Nice. What did we get for that? RAPED and pillaged and told to put up and shut up ...biatch!! Empowering stuff!! The benefits are now crystal clear.

###

SF aren't in cahoots with the likes of Sir Tony O'Reilly, Denis O'Brien etc like FG/Labour/FF,

Quote:

###

Marian price is anti SF. So it would appear she has that in common with FG and FF.
    And as for sympathising with other
    Republicans...didn't the founder of FF..dev..sympathise with the nazis over the death of Hitler..but that's history huh.
    Also the FG blueshirts helped fascist Franko in Spain..also in the past huh???

It all really depends on how far back in history we go. Blood everywhere to be honest!!!!!

Isn't the government allowing the yanks use Shannon for extraordinary rendition and troop transport? Lots of blood there too!!!

Don't Irish companies supply components for weapons that millitaries around the world use to blow innocent men, women and kids to bits on a daily basis? All for the cash. Out of sight...out of mind!!!

####

SF are hated by the filthy rich of this state - hence the hostility of them and their like minded admirers on internet forums such as this :)

###

Who are these true republicans? Enda kenny and co.?

He certainly doesn't show loyalty to the people of the Irish republic!! His loyalty lies elsewhere!!

###

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I don't understand why people care about these polls. They change nothing and fluctuate by the week.

I would think that attention is now switching to the next FG heave against Enda.

O'Reilly was a big supporter of Enda and Varadkar one of the main opponents of Enda in the last FG heave fronted by Richard Bruton.

So when Varadkar was asked to support O'Reilly on the issue of whether he was pulling a stroke on the primary care centres on the Week in Politics tonight he said "“it does look like it. I don’t know if it is or not.”

We'll have to wait to see whether FG can weather a heave in the polls...or not. :)

I would think that attention is now switching to the next FG heave against Enda.

O'Reilly was a big supporter of Enda and Varadkar one of the main opponents of Enda in the last FG heave fronted by Richard Bruton.

So when Varadkar was asked to support O'Reilly on the issue of whether he was pulling a stroke on the primary care centres on the Week in Politics tonight he said "“it does look like it. I don’t know if it is or not.”

We'll have to wait to see whether FG can weather a heave in the polls...or not. :)
    Interesting point. And then there's the pressure on Labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Personally my support will stick with FG... but only provided that they do something reasonable with the Property Tax. I'm I'm landed with a bill that I cannot afford (with maybe €2000 looking like a likely bet for my area) then I'll have no option but to switch support - probably independents or FF. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

The fact is that Fianna fail have done more at this stage to get us out of the mess we are in (after obviously doing much much much much more to get us into it).Fianna Fail have made the only (minuscule) corrective actions necessary to reign in public sector spending.Fine Gael so far have just continued with the Fianna Fail blueprint with a few tweaks.Fine Gael have made no real decisions and have made no real attempt to reform the way the country has been run.It seemss that they are gambling that the electorate can,t "fianna fail" them in the next election because all other alternative governments are even worse-and they are right unfortunately.I believe that a huge chunk of last years fine gael votye will just be disenchanted and sit the next election out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

Why not have a Sinn fein goverment? Lets be honest...the last bunch ruined the country....and the current lot seem to be making things a lot worse.. Maybe a sinn fein government is whats needed to sort this country out... a new outlook and different approach to a very difficult situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Why not have a Sinn fein goverment? Lets be honest...the last bunch ruined the country....and the current lot seem to be making things a lot worse.. Maybe a sinn fein government is whats needed to sort this country out... a new outlook and different approach to a very difficult situation

Eh no. Sinn Fein's policies are populist and pure fantasy. Just because FF, FG and Lab are bad doesn't mean Sinn Fein are good.

jonsnow wrote: »
    The fact is that Fianna fail have done more at this stage to get us out of the mess we are in (after obviously doing much much much much more to get us into it).Fianna Fail have made the only (minuscule) corrective actions necessary to reign in public sector spending.

Fianna Fail created the HSE (Martin), negotiated that terrible Croke Park agreement , and bailed out Cowens golfing partners bank Anglo and then handed our sovereignty to foreign bodies.

They have ruined our economy . They should be up in court.

Michael Martin and Co have done nothing but whinge and whine and try to blame it on Lehmans , etc

Sickening !

• Advertisement
Advertisement