Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unnecessary and pointless addition of the Irish language on official road signs

• 16-09-2012 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I took a drive yesterday and noticed not only how badly Dublin is signposted but that the signage is cluttered due to the unnecessary addition of the Irish language. Isn’t the point of road signage to direct and simplify traffic movement and to promote safety?

As far as I can see, the only purpose of adding Irish is to pretend and convince everyone that Irish is widely spoken and understood.

Everyone who lives here knows this is not a bilingual country despite all the wishful thinking so why all the pretence? It’s so tedious and backward.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,665 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Benji1974 wrote: »
    I took a drive yesterday and noticed not only how badly Dublin is signposted but that the signage is cluttered due to the unnecessary addition of the Irish language. Isn’t the point of road signage to direct and simplify traffic movement and to promote safety?

As far as I can see, the only purpose of adding Irish is to pretend and convince everyone that Irish is widely spoken and understood.

Everyone who lives here knows this is not a bilingual country despite all the wishful thinking so why all the pretence? It’s so tedious and backward.

Hardly "backward". We are a bilingual country, even if one language is far more widely spoen than the other.

The reasoning is purely cultural, imo - no one would get lost if it dissapeared (at lease not because they couldn't read the signs).

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

There's already a thread discussing the Irish language.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement