Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Product - Feed Back Wanted

Options
  • 16-09-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi. Just wanted some feedback on a product I'm looking at. It's aimed at making the process of painting a timber post and rail fence faster and more efficient.

PROBLEM
    Post and rail fences are normally painted with a Creosote Substitute using a bucket & brush. Anyone who has used the bucket and brush method will be familiar with how long and boring a job it is when you have alot of it to treat. This style of fence can't be sprayed, at least not without killing all your grass and wasting alot of your paint.

SOLUTION
    Your typical Creosote Substitute product can be applied with a mini roller, which roughly halves the time taken to treat a fence. Even still, the process could be more efficient. Using a roller and bucket means that you must stop to re-apply very often, you generally can't carry much as it spills easily and you waste some product each time you re-apply.

The product I'm looking at is similar to your typical manual 5 litre garden sprayer. Instead of spray head it is attached to a specially designed roller applicator. After a few pumps, all you need to do is depress the switch to saturate the roller. The only time you need to stop is to re-prime, which can be done each time you move to a new section of fence. No spills, less stopping, no need to transfer to original container on completion.

My question is, would you pay €25 in a diy store for this product based on the benefits above and if not, why not. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

If i saw a product video or heard from someone that used it, then yes I would go ahead and purchase it. By pressing the switch to put the product onto the roller is there a chance you can keep your finger pressed to long and over fill the roller.

The product sounds very good and at €25 if it does exactly what you say and is really that simple it would save me a lot of time and would be well worth the money.

Best of luck with your product. sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

ya ive spent some time fencing my old 6 acres, pain in the hole. Sounds like a pretty good product.

Highland highlighted the only flaw i can think of, applying too much paint to the roller. Perhaps the roller needs to be rolling before the nozzle applies the paint ?? This wouldnt be too hard to implement most line painting on football pitches have this !!

Good job btw.. well done

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

I personally would rather pay the extra bit of money for a cresote like product that is more durable and holds its colour better then the cresote which we currently have stocked in our diy shops, I feel this would be a better alternative to a new sprayer type system.
    Most people don't care about cresote spilling on their grass anyway, as usually they have to spray weed killer or strim the grass and weeds growing under the fence, railway sleeper etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

Thanks for all the replys so far. There doesn't appear to be any great issue with over applying the preservative. You get a feel for it pretty quickly. Once you keep the roller moving as you depress the switch, any excess is spread before it spills.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ontour2

The hose that connects to the paint recepticle is likely to get in the way of the painter as they move around the angles of the post and rail fence. This would make it more awkward to paint and inevitablity slower.

The rollers that have the paint in the centre of the roller feeding out through holes to the sponge would be more agile for the painter. Main problem with these is that they are messy to refill. If you created a way to refill this type of roller that was quick and not messy, it would have far more uses than the small market that is people painting post and rail. There is no doubt that the use of a system like filter coffee machines, where when the nozzle is depressed it feeds the liquid, could be adapted to rapidly fill the roller.

• Advertisement
Advertisement