Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident's parking permit: what does "heavy demand" mean?

Options
  • 16-09-2012 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Looking at the Dublin City Council site, there's a distinction between heavy and low demand zones. I live in an apartment block with more than 4 units, so this designation is the difference between me being able to get a permit and not. However, how to determine the designation is not clear.

Initially, I assumed that "heavy demand" and "low demand" corresponded to the parking zones and tariffs - where costs €2.90/hr versus €2.40/hr etc.

However, that map lists "very high demand", "high demand", "medium demand" and "low demand". For the purposes of the residential parking permit, how can I determine whether I'm "heavy" or "low" based on this - for example if my area is shown as "medium demand" on the map? Anyone else out there in the same situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

snappieT wrote: »
    Looking at the Dublin City Council site, there's a distinction between heavy and low demand zones. I live in an apartment block with more than 4 units, so this designation is the difference between me being able to get a permit and not. However, how to determine the designation is not clear.

Initially, I assumed that "heavy demand" and "low demand" corresponded to the parking zones and tariffs - where costs €2.90/hr versus €2.40/hr etc.

However, that map lists "very high demand", "high demand", "medium demand" and "low demand". For the purposes of the residential parking permit, how can I determine whether I'm "heavy" or "low" based on this - for example if my area is shown as "medium demand" on the map? Anyone else out there in the same situation?

Apparently when I bought car, I called Dublin city council and asked if I can get parking permit, they refused saying I live in high demand zone. Mountjoy square area. So I ended up renting space :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

used to live on aungier street and wanted a permit for one of the surrounding streets. i had no hope of getting it.

various reasons., too many people, houses, limited spaces etc. one i cynically assumed was the permit only cost 35 a year and the council could make that in a day from one space.

Moved to medium demand zone and had no hassle getting one.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

Theres a map on the councils website showing all the different demand zones.
    Very Heavy, heavy, medium and low. This affects parking prices, parking permits & skip permits.

Go to the bottom of this page and youll see the section

"find out what zone you are in " click that for a pdf showing the citys zones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I think you missed my question - the problem is that I don't see any obvious direct correlation with what is shown on that map and the criteria for applying to get a resident's permit: if I'm in a medium zone, what is the story? As it happens, I'm in a "high" zone but there are never any cars parked outside - is "high" the same as "heavy"?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,429 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The zones are different for Permit Parking and Pay & Display Parking. The Permit Parking Zones tend to be individual streets, sections of streets or groups of streets. Demand by commuters isn't necessarily the same as demand by residents.

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/Documents/ParkingControlBye-Laws2012.pdf
    “heavy demand zone” means a residential parking permit zone where either the number of residents’ parking permits that have been issued for the zone exceeds 65% of the total number of on-road residential parking places in the zone or where that number is less than or equal to 65% of the total number of on-road residential parking places in the zone and a proposed extension in eligibility for permits will result in 85% of the total number of on-road residential parking places in the zone being breached;
    snowey07 wrote: »
    Theres a map on the councils website showing all the different demand zones.
    Very Heavy, heavy, medium and low. This affects parking prices, parking permits & skip permits.

Go to the bottom of this page and youll see the section

"find out what zone you are in " click that for a pdf showing the citys zones

That page is for skips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Wow, thanks Victor. I suppose I should chance my arm then and send in an application - there are certainly no residents at all using the street so I suppose there must be some available spaces!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Victor wrote: »
    That page is for skips.
    The page is mainly about skips, but this link to parking area zones and charges is on that page, as the poster of the page link said.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 78,429 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Esel wrote: »
    The page is mainly about skips, but this link to parking area zones and charges is on that page, as the poster of the page link said.

Still not the answer the OP was looking for - wrong definition of "heavy demand".

Advertisement