Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe ideas for mushrooms

Options
  • 16-09-2012 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all

I've just spent the morning picking chanterelles with my kids. Have 2 huge bucket loads. Anyone any recipe ideas for mushrooms?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Mushroom soup
    Chicken and mushroom pie
    Ham and mushroom pie
    Garlic mushrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Fried in butter & served on toast with rocket & a splash of Worcestershire sauce & a bit of black pepper. A quick & nutritious supper after your hard day mushie-hunting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just thinking - fried chantrelles are also lovely on toast with melted hard cheese like a white cheddar or Gruyere or Comte.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Cajun mushrooms, put mushrooms in a big bowel drizzle with oil of your choice, put cajun spice mix (schwarz or your own mix) over the mushrooms and coat the mushrooms.

get the pan hot and throw the mushrooms into the pan , cook to your own preference , serve and eat quickly , Best eaten very hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

trodsky wrote: »
    Hi all

I've just spent the morning picking chanterelles with my kids. Have 2 huge bucket loads. Anyone any recipe ideas for mushrooms?

Where do you pick your mushrooms ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

foodaholic wrote: »
    Where do you pick your mushrooms ?

In the forests of the north of Finland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I got this recipe for mushroom paté here on Boards and I've made it lots of times, it's really good.

Mushroom Paté – Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall

250g mushrooms
    30g butter
    3-4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
    250g cream cheese
    salt and pepper
    Clean and trim the mushrooms, chop finely.
    Heat the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and fry gently, stirring frequently for 10 mins or until all the moisture has evaporated.
    Leave it to cool.
    Blend the mushrooms in a food processor until smooth, add the cream cheese and blend again until well mixed.
    Season to taste then leave to cool completely.
    Refrigerate for at least an hour for the garlic flavour to develop.
    Keeps for a week in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Use the chanterelles to make a fricassée of wild mushrooms. Serve with a good quality piece of protein, either a thick piece of fillet of beef, supreme of chicken, fillet of venison. Chanterelles don't dry well and are best used fresh. Don't wash them if you can help it - rather use a sharp knife to pare the stems and use a soft brush to remove any dirt from the caps. You can wipe them with a damp piece of kitchen paper.

For 400g of mushrooms, melt 30g of butter and sweat ½ a banana shallot or white onion finely chopped. Add 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped. Cook until the onions are soft but not coloured. Add the shrooms and cook for a few minutes. Add 100ml of dry white wine and reduce on a high heat. Add a swirl of double cream and some finely chopped herbs such as flat leaf parsley, tarragon or chervil. Season with salt and a little pepper. A drop or two of lemon juice at the end will lift the flavour.

Serve with the meat or poultry of choice or if you are short of meat, pile the fricassée on toast and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

In the forests of the north of Finland.

Bit far for me to go :-)
    Anyone know anywhere good to go Kildare / Wicklow ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fried in butter & served on toast with rocket & a splash of Worcestershire sauce & a bit of black pepper. A quick & nutritious supper after your hard day mushie-hunting. :)

bit of sage or thyme in there for the frying would round it off nicely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

add to veggies. green beans, broccoli. chop on pizza. in salads. brown with sausage and onion, add cooked rice stuff in green bell pepper, bake in some beef broth until pepper is tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Noone is ever gonna tell you that !
    People who go foraging for mushrooms will never tell you where. Well, I wouldn't. :p

Chanterelles are at their loveliest sauteed just in butter with not much else, but for a little seasoning of black pepper and a tiny sprinkle of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

Noone is ever gonna tell you that !
    People who go foraging for mushrooms will never tell you where. Well, I wouldn't. :p

Chanterelles are at their loveliest sauteed just in butter with not much else, but for a little seasoning of black pepper and a tiny sprinkle of salt.

Thats exactly what I did last night. Was a little lazy. For the huge amount of them I picked they are not going to last long. They get a lot smaller on the pan.

Is it possible to freeze them if I dry them out you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Mushrooms in general don't like freezers.

You could dry them completely and store in a container in a cool dark place, to be rehydrated as and when you need them.

I have never dried mushrooms though so if you want to go down that route you're best off googling. That is if noone here comes up with suggestions for drying them.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I have been dreaming about chantarelle risotto made with lots of garlic and white wine and finished with shavings of some strong, hard cheese and topped with a poached egg- yum! I know this is really nice with dried mushrooms if you pour water over the mushrooms to rehydrate them then use the liquid as stock.

Also love mushrooms on toast- rub garlic on the bread and drizzle with balsalmic vinegar and olive oil before toasting under the grill, fry mushrooms lightly in quite a lot of butter, remove the mushrooms to the toast then use the remaining butter in the saucepan to make a roux (sprinkle over flour) add a small bit of milk and some blue cheese and stir over a low heat until thick, pour over the mushrooms and finish under the grill. Really nice with rocket or other salad greens.

enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

you can dry them out and store em,
    all you need to do is, slice them thinly, put in single layer on baking try in fan oven at 60-65 c for about an hour, then turn them over and put in for another hour, there should be no moisture left in mushrooms, if they are just put back in oven. when cool store them in air tight container in cool dark larder, they will last for years if you store them properly. they can then be reconstituted in boiling stock or water.
    they have a more concentrated flavor than fresh ones, and you can use them is anything, lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

trodsky wrote: »
    Hi all

Finland

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Just a bit, plenty in the forests in Lithuania as well.

Forage in woods local to Drogheda and also in forest parks in Northern Ireland, no chanterelles.

Would love to find some locations in Wicklow as well.

I went on a foraging course in Hunting brook in Blessington and we found chanterelles. But I dont think they allow you to forage on there land :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement