Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaninchen dachshund puppy

• 16-09-2012 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, not sure if it's ok to post a thread like this but I'm looking to get my boyfriend a Kaninchen Dachshund puppy as a surprise, he lost his mum a few molnths ago and naturally hasn't been in great shape since. He's wanted a dog as long as I've known him so I think it'd be really help him get out and about again and the companionship could only be a good thing. I know I missed the big season for puppies, but if anyone had heard of any for sale I'd really appreciate it as he's been saying he'd love a Dachshund for the last ten years! Thanks smile.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The first thing is to make sure that he wants a dog before you go buy anything, especially when looking at puppies; I've always wanted a pony, but if my OH got me one I wouldn't be able to look after it. Buying animals as a surprise is rarely a good idea.

That said, read up on diseases inherent in the breed (IIRC Daxies have problems with their backs and legs) so that you know what questions to ask the breeder about the parents' health screenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Thanks Kylith, I have been researching them alright, and looking into cross-breeds too, but he always talk about them in particular. I know he'd love a dog, he had a dog until about two years ago and he talks about how much he misses having one constantly so I know he would be over the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

No donedeal etc links.

Just go for it. He'll love it.

Thanks :) I had looked there alright, the adds are a bit old but I will try the latest one on the very small chance they have one left!

I should probably mention we've been living together for ten years and have had a lot of pets together, well cats anyway :D It wouldn't be a shock for us, especially after having a mental sheep dog for years, this should be easy! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I really wouldn't recommend buy and sell, done deal, or adverts.ie, internet sites are lousy with puppy farmers and backyard breeders. Contact the breed club and ask them to recommend a breeder.

kylith wrote: »
    I really wouldn't recommend buy and sell, done deal, or adverts.ie, internet sites are lousy with puppy farmers and backyard breeders. Contact the breed club and ask them to recommend a breeder.

Ok, I have a number for the Daschund Club in Dublin I was going to give them a ring tomorrow to get some advice. What's dodgy about buying from amateur breeders? As in we're just looking for a healthy, happy, family pet, not a show dog so would it apply to us? It's probably a really stupid question, but we've only ever had adoptees before so I'm new to the idea of buying an animal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Ok, I have a number for the Daschund Club in Dublin I was going to give them a ring tomorrow to get some advice. What's dodgy about buying from amateur breeders? As in we're just looking for a healthy, happy, family pet, not a show dog so would it apply to us? It's probably a really stupid question, but we've only ever had adoptees before so I'm new to the idea of buying an animal!

The problem with buying from these 'amateur' breeders is that they breed for money, not for love of the breed. So they cut corners when it comes to things like health, nutrition, health of the parents, vaccinations, they dont care where the pups go and certainly wont take them back if there's any issues etc etc. Whereas a proper, responsible breeder will have both parents genetically health tested to avoid passing on genetic conditions, each puppy will be placed in the right home, they will usually have contract stating that the pup must be returned to them if you can no longer keep the pup. Not every pup born from show parents will be of a show quality and these are your pet quality pups, which will at least have far lower chances of developing health issues down the line. You could try contacting Paul Barry, he's the owner of the site pedigreedogs.ie, far as I know he's had daschunds a few years now and he knows a lot of the top breeders

Rommie wrote: »
    The problem with buying from these 'amateur' breeders is that they breed for money, not for love of the breed. So they cut corners when it comes to things like health, nutrition, health of the parents, vaccinations, they dont care where the pups go and certainly wont take them back if there's any issues etc etc. Whereas a proper, responsible breeder will have both parents genetically health tested to avoid passing on genetic conditions, each puppy will be placed in the right home, they will usually have contract stating that the pup must be returned to them if you can no longer keep the pup. Not every pup born from show parents will be of a show quality and these are your pet quality pups, which will at least have far lower chances of developing health issues down the line. You could try contacting Paul Barry, he's the owner of the site pedigreedogs.ie, far as I know he's had daschunds a few years now and he knows a lot of the top breeders

Ok, that makes a lot of sense! Thanks for taking the time to respond, I will get onto pedigreedogs.ie and see if he has any recommendations. Thanks again!

Advertisement