Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless N with Eircom?

• 16-09-2012 3:49pm

I have Eircom broadband and would like to get a wireless N modem as I believe the Eircom one is only b/g. Can someone suggest a compatible wireless N modem please? I really don't know a great deal about this stuff so any guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you kindly! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I have Eircom broadband and would like to get a wireless N modem as I believe the Eircom one is only b/g. Can someone suggest a compatible wireless N modem please? I really don't know a great deal about this stuff so any guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you kindly! :)
    In terms of modems (plugged into phone line) check what modulation scheme the eircom one works with, most likely adsl2+. Pick up one with that listed as a spec.
    Alternatively any router you pick up with n written on it will work basically. Just turn off the wifi and nas on the eircom one and plug it into the wan port on the new one and off you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

TheChizler wrote: »
    In terms of modems (plugged into phone line) check what modulation scheme the eircom one works with, most likely adsl2+. Pick up one with that listed as a spec.
    Alternatively any router you pick up with n written on it will work basically. Just turn off the wifi and nas on the eircom one and plug it into the wan port on the new one and off you go!

Would you better off getting a new modem router and discard the eircom one altogether?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Plascebo wrote: »
    TheChizler wrote: »

Would you better off getting a new modem router and discard the eircom one altogether?
    That would be the first option, but that would mean matching eircom's specs, not too hard but it's easier to pick up a generic router which would be compatible if in future they switch from adsl to cable or satellite.

• The Eircom settings are here at the bottom of the page. I see Eircom have a wireless N modem, the P-660HN-T1A, with a speed of 150Mbps....would that be fast enough for 720p or should I get this 300Mbps one?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

The Eircom settings are here at the bottom of the page. I see Eircom have a wireless N modem, the P-660HN-T1A, with a speed of 150Mbps....would that be fast enough for 720p or should I get this 300Mbps one?

Another option?

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=20-27-W8961N&brands=TPLINK

A previous poster on the forum got one and seems happy enough with it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just to emphasise again that you want a combined modem router not just a router (sometimes described as a cable router)

It is important to realise that to get the full benefits of the N standard the wifi cards on the equipment used will have to be N standard also.

Advertisement