Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New herd number, 1st test

Options
  • 16-09-2012 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello folks, I’m looking for some advice.

In March of this year I got my new herdnumber. As with all new herd numbers, I had a 4 month buy-in period in which tobuy stock or my number would be deactivated. I got a local cattle dealer to buyfor me which he did within the 4 month buy-in period. He delivered these twocattle, plus another two, the following week. I have paid the mart and receivedcards for the first two cattle but have received nothing from the mart regardingthe second two.

I have received notification of a test whichhas to be done on before September 24th. So do I put only the twocattle for which I have cards for though the test? If the other two were boughtin after my original 4 monthbuy-in period will I get into trouble with the department? Do I book the testwith the vet for next week hoping that the two cards arrive and if they don’tjust press ahead with the test regardless? I’ve been around cattle all my lifebut this is my first foray with my own herd so I’m new to all this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johnpaulkc

Talk to your vet, leave nothing to chance when it comes to the DOA, they could lock the farm up. Also ring dealer and mart over cards, should have had moving cert I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hunter15

Edmund B wrote: »
    Hello folks, I’m looking for some advice.

I have paid the mart and receivedcards for the first two cattle but have received nothing from the mart regardingthe second two.

Thanks

there is a good chance the second two cattle were not transfered into your herd by the mart it dose happen, Your vet should have a list of all cattle in your herd

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jack77

Dept could be holding the card's and they'll be released when the herd test is passed, test all cattle and give the dept a ring they'll let you know if they are holding them as you are currently not cleared to sell any stock off farm

sorry ring them now and ask them about the cards, but test all the animals,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Edmund B

Thanks for all the advice folks. So who do I ring first - the mart, the vet or the Dept?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

You have to present all cattle in your possession for the test. Ring the mart, Vet, Dept in that order. The testing vet will print off a herd list from the Dept website the morning of the test before they leave the office. Do not "hide" any cattle, you will descend into a world of grief! Iver in Cavan

Rang the vet then the mart. The vet has only 2 cattle registered in my herd. She said to talk to the dealer and the mart, "nothing to do with the department". She said the cattle would have to be registered with my herd before any test could be done or "questions could be asked". Rang the mart, the 2 other cattle were bought by the dealer in his name. Can't get him at the minute but will talk to him later today. I'm presuming he will have to do some sort of herd transfer so that these 2 cattle will be registered to my herd?

What is the "chain of command" when cattle are bought at a mart - does the mart inform the vet who in turn informs the dept or do they inform the dept who in turn informs the vet?

Thats what i thought may have happened with the cards, if he was transferring them the dept may have held the cards before it issues them to you until completion of your herd test. it happens with new herds before their released. but get hold of the dealer 1st, could just have been delayed

The dealer can do this transfere electronically, AFAIK, although there are some particular rules regarding lenghts of time an animal is retained in a dealers herd?
    Not a dealer, so not certin. Talk to the guy, should be simple enough to sort. Don't go to the Dept. yet. Iver in Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 5 guyliner

Hi Edmund,
    It's illegal, as far as I know, to move cattle without either cards or a permit. The dealer who brought the animals to your farm should have known that.
    I'm not saying he's trying to pull some kind of scam, but if he was someone with a new herd number would be the ideal target. Get in touch with him, if he can't get you the cards tell him to collect the cattle and give you your money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 The hawlk

Rang the vet then the mart. The vet has only 2 cattle registered in my herd. She said to talk to the dealer and the mart, "nothing to do with the department". She said the cattle would have to be registered with my herd before any test could be done or "questions could be asked". Rang the mart, the 2 other cattle were bought by the dealer in his name. Can't get him at the minute but will talk to him later today. I'm presuming he will have to do some sort of herd transfer so that these 2 cattle will be registered to my herd?

What is the "chain of command" when cattle are bought at a mart - does the mart inform the vet who in turn informs the dept or do they inform the dept who in turn informs the vet?

The mart tells Dept the Dept tell the vet

guyliner wrote: »
    I'm not saying he's trying to pull some kind of scam, but if he was someone with a new herd number would be the ideal target. Get in touch with him, if he can't get you the cards tell him to collect the cattle and give you your money back.

guyliner, I haven't paid over any money for the second 2 cattle nor have I paid the dealer yet for his services. I've known this dealer all my life, play GAA with his sons etc so I seriously doubt he was trying to do me.

He's going to get the cattle transferred to my herd at the mart on Wednesday and give me the cards. I'm to ring the vet then and get a test booked for next week, then ring the local DOA office.

The test date will be a few days past the 30 days deadline but I'm hoping the DOA won't go mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 guyliner

guyliner, I haven't paid over any money for the second 2 cattle nor have I paid the dealer yet for his services. I've known this dealer all my life, play GAA with his sons etc so I seriously doubt he was trying to do me.
    That's fair enough, I couldn't tell that from your post, it was the fact you couldn't get in touch with him that I found worrying. The cards are still supposed to go with the animals though-even if the cattle aren't yours and are only on your farm for two weeks, you should have the cards for those two weeks. Just because he means well doesn't mean he won't drop you in it if he's a bit messy with his paper work:).
    If you did wind up having the test before you got the cards, you should test all the animals, cards or not. To give a different example, if a beast jumped the fence into your farm the morning of the test you're supposed to present them for test (strictly speaking).

Better get the cards sorted out soon, Your local DVO probably has you more or less identified from these posts by now! Iver in Cavan

Advertisement