Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetes query.

Options
  • 16-09-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I will like to know if people with type 1 diabetes is classified as disable under Employment Equality Acts. I am applying for a job and was ask the question in the application form. I would appreciate if any can help me out here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭outnumbered82

No you have a long term illness. That question shouldn't be on an application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

johnkenn wrote: »
    I will like to know if people with type 1 diabetes is classified as disable under Employment Equality Acts. I am applying for a job and was ask the question in the application form. I would appreciate if any can help me out here

Does the job involve Driving ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It depends on the job apparently. Type 1 diabetes, Crohn's and other long term illnesses, that most people who endure them would not consider to be disabilities, are in fact classified as disabilities in many companies and in the educational sector, whereas the intruction from IBEC to its members in the private sector is that employees are expected to 'self declare' (whatever the hell that means). In practice personnel sections actively discourage employees from self-declaring long term illnesses- as it creates extra paperwork for them (even longterm illnesses warrant the drafting of personal emergency evacuation plans for example- which is a bit crazy).

In short- providing its not a job likely to be affected by your condition- its up to you whether you declare or not. Personnel officers, rightly or wrongly, seem intent on *not* getting declarations, as the paperwork is a nightmare. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 johnkenn

Does the job involve Driving ?
    No it does not require driving. it's just to work as a static security officer in a construction site.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

I think companies over a certain size are obliged to keep a record of how many staff have a disability. I'm sure someone here can post more information

• Advertisement
Advertisement