Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

really grinds my gears!!

Options
  • 16-09-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

So is it just me or is anyone notice a increased amount of people looking for you to do things for "charity" or for "Experience" and showreel content.

Its as though people expect something for free and expect you to give up god knows how long to complete their project. I just needed to have a rant about this and to tell any newcomers onto the whole media scene DO NOTHING FOR FREE! always make sure that for your time and expertise you are compensated in some way, it may not be money but anything is better than letting someone take advantage of your expertise and give you nothing in return.

Anyone else had this problem lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Yeah it's quite annoying. Everyone has a budget for their gear, for rentals of equipment for gigs, for drinks while you're recording, and then assume ah sure you have a camera, and you're only pressing a button and "you'll only be doing it for an hour" is the part that really gets me!

Yeah, I'll be recording with YOU for an hour, but then I have to edit it, and colour it, and render it, and upload it or deliver it to you.

@#

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Can't really blame them for trying, it's just they don't really understand the work that goes into doing it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

yeah you can get a lot of it in the wedding end of things, they'll pay top dollar for catering, transport, entertainment, venue etc.
    but when it comes to a person with a camera - it's 'ah! shure tis digital these days, costs nothing, yeah!'
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Completely know where the O.P is comming from.

Sometimes I even reply to posts where people are looking for a professional service to promote themseleves and offer to "credit" the work of the photographer or videographer instead of payment. I tend to PM the poster outlining why it is in their benefit to promote themselves in the best light especially where they are going to be in the position to earn or hopefully earn income from their product, service, music track etc...

I recently had an unsolicited PM from a boards.ie user who was requesting a quotation for some professional product photography for the front page of their proposed website. The member was requesting some top quality product shots. Accordingly I sent a fair quote for the work involved and subsequently got a reply which basically asked me if I was serious! I sent a further response outling the work and time involved in supplying the requested product shots. Needless to say there was a further reply but to be honest I really wasn't in the mood to respont to the arguementative reply.

Really annoys me that someone running a business will ask someone else for something for either free or virutally nothing. Wonder I ask the member in the above example for some free product stating that if someone admires it I will inform the admirer where I got it, or I I ask a brides family who perhaps are builders to build me a new garden wall but that I'll will "credit" their work to neighbours and friends and that I will supply tea, meals etc but I can't pay because I've spent my budget on the new goldfish pond...... I think I already know what the response would be.....

Gaining experience is important but when people do work for nothing they are undervaluing themselves and their collegues in what ever the industry is.

I was lucky enough to gain some unpaid experience under a professional photgrapher but have never offered my services unpaid nor have I encroached on the business area in which the person operates.

Feel a little better after the rant and well done to the O.P for starting it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

As an editor I work under this rule:

The amount of assurances you get that something will look great on your CV/showreel is inversely proportional to the quality of the project.

So if it's really worth working on they won't have to over-sell the idea to you.

For something that has absolutely no value to me professionally, corporate work etc. I turn down immediately if they do not have a budget.

I recently had someone ask me to direct music videos for their cover versions. They suggested they'd pay me when the revenue stream starting coming in from Youtube.

I pointed out the flaws in this plan and for some reason I never heard back from them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 r3dr00m

I get that every day. "You can put your branding on it", "I'm starting international campaign for my company, but I don't want to spend any money on that project. My dad will take photos and my second cousin will do hair and makeup."

I don't mind helping people who need help and I think they have a great idea for a project, but not people who are to cheap to spend any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

I get this with photography quite a bit too. As mentioned people these days seem to think just because its digital theres either no or minimal expenses and that its just a matter of copying the images from the memory card afterwards. If only it was that easy.

I will say though, there are some small exceptions. Im doing 9 free photoshoots this coming weekend but I solicted them all so Id be a bit cheeky to look for payment for them. Im looking to test some new lighting gear and offered out a free studio shotoshoot to a number of bands, actors, actresses etc on various forums and my facebook. This directly benefits me and my portfolio, and of course those getting the free photoshoot, so Im all up for that. Likewise if its for charity I think thats different then a company looking to turn a profit.

My rule of thumb, is if somebody is looking for free work for a business that in turn is trying to turn a profit they should pay for the images. Ive even had this with friends. If they want me to do a shoot with them and their kids or that type of thing Id never dream of taking money. But if its to promote a business or for anything profit orientated then its only fair to be expecting payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I think it depends on the group asking.

I've done a fair amount of volunteer work in the past (non media related). I've never done any video work for completely free however. I have made videos for charities to help promote their fundraising events. I'm talking about events that are raising for large scale charities that have 20,000 plus people on their Facebook page. In that regard, I just ask them to cover my expenses ie petrol, electricity for editing ect and a small amount to cover gear (I bought it all and am paying back the loan). No more than a €100. This is for 6 or 7 hours work. I'm happy with it because I'm not making a loss and I am getting a large amount of exposure for my video business which is brand new.

But then I keep my fees extremely low anyway, because I don't think I have the right to charge an large amount of money to individuals. I have a very cheap package (€70 - €100) for a basic promotional video for new small businesses like sole traders and partnerships. Having low fees helps out new business owners and then we both benefit from it. I have a new video to add to my website, a small bit of profit to add to my accounts and they have a new promotional video to help their business succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

I work in a disability service as a multimedia designer which includes videos. But I get paid a salary so its not charity work. But I make music vids for free for my friend. Hes got zero budget but I did it for the experience Ive gained and the laugh and fun weve had making them. Plus his music is world class - seriously amazing(I thinki of other videographers would kill to have such quality source material) Hes always tried to pay me back in kind which is cool of him. But if someone else asks me to do something for free, I think Im past the stage of just doin it for the experience. Plus the point made earlier about people havin a budget for caterers and a whole ream of other things they are willing to pay for but not you is very valid.

Heres my latest video shot down the harbour bar in Bray. - http://youtu.be/ciR2BhKj7I4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

I work in a disability service as a multimedia designer which includes videos. But I get paid a salary so its not charity work. But I make music vids for free for my friend. Hes got zero budget but I did it for the experience Ive gained and the laugh and fun weve had making them. Plus his music is world class - seriously amazing(I thinki of other videographers would kill to have such quality source material) Hes always tried to pay me back in kind which is cool of him. But if someone else asks me to do something for free, I think Im past the stage of just doin it for the experience. Plus the point made earlier about people havin a budget for caterers and a whole ream of other things they are willing to pay for but not you is very valid.

Heres my latest video shot down the harbour bar in Bray. - http://youtu.be/ciR2BhKj7I4

So you work for a charity and get paid, then why cant other charities just be like so yeah heres 50 quid for your troubles even! If someones going to do a project they need a budget if you don't spend it you wont make it, simple as that really.

• Advertisement

So you work for a charity and get paid, then why cant other charities just be like so yeah heres 50 quid for your troubles even! If someones going to do a project they need a budget if you don't spend it you wont make it, simple as that really.

You do understand the concept of charity dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Yes i do, but i don't think that people should expect stuff for free when their getting paid

Most people working for charities arent getting paid. Obviously theres exceptions with the larger ones like Amnesty Int etc.

These arent the ones who tend to use local forums to ask for a bit of help with a poster or video. The whole idea is people volunteer their time and services to help those who cant help themselves.

Its absolutely not in any way the same thing as a company who are running to turn a profit looking for a freebie.

Advertisement