Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in skreen

Options
  • 16-09-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Been from the country its near impossible to get broadband here.
    Does anyone know of any providers that cover this area, we do have broadband with a certain provider but they are givin us awful problems.
    IE. we pay 20 euro per mth if we go over our quota for that mth by less than 1mb they charge a extra 30 euro..No talking to them, plus we have asked to be put onto a higher Gb tarriff but yet they say its not available in our area..

Any help please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Had been with O2 mobile BB until a year ago which was abisymal almost everywhere but next to useless at home in Skreen so avoid.

I'm now with 3 Network mobile BB which is much better although still suffers at times, being Ireland one has to expect it living in the country.
    100fold improvement over O2, incidentially due to their obnoxous customer service I'd have nothing to do with ever again, and better than Vodafone which was almost as bad.
    Did'nt try Meteor as they were not available at the time but their internet coverage is okay on the smartphone and their phonr coverage is best of the lot in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Have you tried Fastcom?
    If they can provide it would be a lot better than any dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Some areas are less accessible for Fastcom but they are worth talking to as outsid of the mobile BB they're the only other option in the area I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 duckie80

thanks for replies..

Its 3G were with fine the reception great no problems their, but its the extra charges they charge if you go over the 1mb which is very very hard to avoid here unfourtunally you cant have it both ways...

Fastcom was ment to get back to us all throughout last week and still no call back must not be to bothered with the extra custom ??, But they reckon their is no reception here but yet our next door neighbout ( litterly next door same hight level house/ aerial )

Thanks for replies i will continue to search and find out a better provider :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP your choices are very limited. I was with Fastcom for a couple of years but noticed their service deteriorated. I often spent hours tweaking PC & router settings when the connection was totally lost. Only to find out that the problem was at their end :mad:.

I switched to 3G last year and when I did the online coverage map check, my house was the only icon popping up on the screen. Speeds were initially excellent and much faster than Fastcoms. But there has been a rapid deterioration in the last 6 months. My Speedtest checks have gone from amongst the best last year, to now ranking amongst the slowest at times. When I now do the online coverage map check, there are a lot more house icons displayed on the screen. So it's clearly a contention issue, last year no one had 3G in my area and now a lot more people seemed to have switched.

Don't even think about ringing their customer service department, because you end up talking to someone out in India. It actually took 5 complaints from me and 6 months for them to figure out that I had an issue checking my online usage quota. Like you OP, I once went a few megabytes over my quota and was charged a fortune. It wasn't gonna happen again, but it seemed like they were doing their best to stop me from regularly checking my monthly quota.

So ironically after my experience with 3G, I am now thinking of switching back to Fastcom. I think they've carried out some infrastructure upgrades in the last 12 - 18 months and at least they give an unlimited quota. So I think I'll be doing it sooner rather than later tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement