Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Project

Options
  • 16-09-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭

Hi, we're a small (20ppl) twenty year old software company with a single product that we sell to commercial real estate developers. We have a pretty good reputation and we've been around long enough that competitors would need years of development to "catch up" to use, so we're pretty secure.

And this security I think has meant some astoundingly inefficient practices have developed in our production.

Right now I'm looking at introducing MS Project to track our development and I'm really looking for some opinions on the software. I've used it in the past (10+ years ago) and think its something that could really help us get some clarity. Right now we have this awful Spreadsheet schedule that seems to promote complete chaos every release.

SO I know this is a pretty broad question but can anyone tell me about how their experiences with it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭decus

InTheTrees wrote: »

And this security I think has meant some astoundingly inefficient practices have developed in our production.

Tool (MS Project) as such is OK, but it really depends what you want to improve.

To improve inefficient practices of software development organisation there are many places you could start, depending on what you see as a problem (i.e. development cycle, requirements management, testing, code quality, support, project management...).

Maybe it would be good idea to get external company to do some evaluation of your practices and then recommend you roadmap how to improve it.

Best regards,
    decus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Try openproj it's not a bad alternative to ms project. Ms project is quite expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Project is just the charting and data management functions of Excel mashed together with Outlook's scheduling and task management. I've never been very impressed with its ability. Its good at capturing tasks and assigning resources but it doesnt promote ways of thinking or highlight issues within a SDLC. It wont help you fix bad process.

Maybe a methodology or way of thinking such as SCRUM Agile is something you need, rather then MS Project.

Advertisement