Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moved house

• 16-09-2012 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hey,

Just moved to the outskirts of a small village, quite enough area but not remote or anything like that.

My oldest is 13, Any tips on helping him make new friends, he's in nearby football team but no one on team from this village.

He's been out a few times cycling around but not had any luck! Been trying to "encourage" him to keep tryin but as time goes by he's spending more time in and less out.....

Any suggestions apeciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

What about his school friends? If if they don't live nearby you could invite them around some evening or at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Did he change schools or start afresh into first year? I know my patents moved us to the 'country' when I was 14; siblings aged 12, and 7 at the time; they settled fine but I found it terribly hard. Patents kept up contact with school friends which helped a lot though, meant they were on the road more but it was the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

going to have a similar situation in the coming months myself. living in dublin at present but relocating to the country soon enough. just sick of the area and dublin in general with anti social behaviour etc. we have four kids from 14 to 3 and was wondering did anyone else have this experience and how did it go with the kids etc. also while i have had relative experience of country life as far as spending summers when younger her indoors has never experienced it whatsoever, we picked a particular area because she has a sister who moved there a few years ago and thought it might make the transition a bit easier.

there are choices in this area for houses, we did see a lovely detached house on an acre but were worried about isolating the kids from meeting new friends there is also a nice looking small housing estate with evidence of plenty of kids living there. so if anyone that has made that choice also has any advice to offer?

we just feel overall that we would be giving the kids a better life moving away from where we are and hope this is the case, the place itself is a nice medium sized village where the pace of life looks relaxed. the other problem on the horizon is the primary school for two of the younger ones is full at have been placed on a waiting list but chances seem to be slim, the other option is a school several miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭eoin95

Purely my opinion.... Go for a house in the estate. Unless the other house is within a few mins walk from the estate or other populated place. 14 year old will find new friends but if in an isolated house it will be much harder. We were in a similar house and thought the kid would find mates but in the middle of no where he didn't really get the chance. Since moved back to an estate and are much happier all round!

I think if you as a child are born into an isolated area as you grow up you make friends but a 14 year old will sooner sit on a computer than make the effort!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Personally, I would choose to live in an isolated area, but I would not like to be moved into one if I had grown up with neighbours around me. So I think for your kids, a housing estate would probably be the best option. However, I grew up in the countryside, in a bungalow. Then when I was 13 I went to school in Kilkenny, so my parents were on the road a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

We had a similar move a few months ago and our 14 year old found it difficult at first. However, we encouraged him to bring home some friends after school on Fridays and (although I was driving around Friday nights dropping off), it really helped.
    He gets so much homework during the week, it didn't really matter.

Good luck! Hope it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

it sounds like the estate house could be the better option, unfortunately the house now may not be suitable which reverts us back to the isolated house. that is unless something comes up in the near future. i suppose my personal choice was the isolated house but i do have to think of the kids. have already told her indoors we'll have to add to the brood so they can keep each other company;). its not as if we're moving this week so maybe something else might pop up in the meantime.

Advertisement