Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need some advice. Haunting - I think.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mac.the.hat

There's nothing specifically wrong with ouija boards as such. They are really no different to other communication methods such as the glass and planchette which have been used for years and years. They came to notoriety thanks to films like The Exorcist. The main difficulty is with the person or persons using them. It's all too easy to come back from the pub full of beer with a load of chips under one arm, an ouija board under the other and then get into something that you can't control, just for a laugh. The easiest thing to do is to steer well clear of them unless you know precisely what you are at. I'm not aware of any paranormal investigation teams that use ouija boards and quite frankly, that doesn't surprise me. I'm not saying that there aren't any, just that I'm not aware of any.

To anybody who experiences unexplainable things happening in their homes or wherever, my advice is to contact a team who can both advise and help. These things do happen and for a variety of reasons. You don't have to suffer in silence. Some of the teams out there meet these things on a daily basis and there's nothing that you will say that will surprise them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ah that was one entertaining story. I really liked the way the writer finished it off nice and neatly by moving out and refusing to post here ever again or answer any questions about the house.

I was thoroughly entertained throughout. Mannix should really consider fiction writing as a career, although the smashed coffee table and nose bleeds were prob a bit much and took away some of the realism in the story. Aside from that it was very entertaining.

Good job mannix we were all gripped on your posts for the past few weeks, if you'd like to do a sequel on your sisters place we can call it paranormal activity 2. I'd look forward to reading it :)

Ok, we all have our own perspectives on these things. The fact is that these things do happen and we have little or no control over them when they do. We can but try to establish exactly what is going on and why. I really don't think you are being fair to the poster. Just because you don't believe in these things, does not mean that they do not happen and it certainly does not give you the right to make fun of the person who took the trouble to post and ask for help.

Somehow, I don't think you would dismiss it so quickly if these things were happening in your own house and I sincerely hope that they never do. It's not nice and remember that there are people out there who can and will help and even more importantly, they do not look for money to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭skepticalone

for anyone experiencing such activity i would reccomend contacting praofi.org who have experience in looking into such things from a scientific viewpoint.

I would recommend Wexford Paranormal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Ah that was one entertaining story. I really liked the way the writer finished it off nice and neatly by moving out and refusing to post here ever again or answer any questions about the house.

I was thoroughly entertained throughout. Mannix should really consider fiction writing as a career, although the smashed coffee table and nose bleeds were prob a bit much and took away some of the realism in the story. Aside from that it was very entertaining.

Good job mannix we were all gripped on your posts for the past few weeks, if you'd like to do a sequel on your sisters place we can call it paranormal activity 2. I'd look forward to reading it :)

I kind of agree. There are a few points in the story that don't quite click: the fluidity of the Irish property market, for one thing: is it really so easy to buy or sell a house that quickly these days? Not saying it's not possible, but is does put a question mark over the story for me.

Also, pictures. Not a one?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ok, we all have our own perspectives on these things. The fact is that these things do happen and we have little or no control over them when they do. We can but try to establish exactly what is going on and why. I really don't think you are being fair to the poster. Just because you don't believe in these things, does not mean that they do not happen and it certainly does not give you the right to make fun of the person who took the trouble to post and ask for help.

The thing is I do believe in these type of things, I just think the poster who haven't given us a shred of evidence is having a bit of fun with us. Think about it how easy would it have been to take a picture of the broken coffee table or the flour on the bed or the broken perfume bottle?

She offered no evidence and stopped posting and refused to answer questions out of the blue. It's all too dodge for me, while I accept the majority of posters on this forum (about 95%) are legit in what they experienced, there are a small percentage who get off on lying and making up stories for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

for anyone experiencing such activity i would reccomend contacting praofi.org who have experience in looking into such things from a scientific viewpoint.
    I would recommend Wexford Paranormal

No group can help someone who wishes to believe they have a ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

who ya gonna call??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

After reading this tread i find some things don't add up,as a earlier poster stated about the priest blessing the house, so i asked my relation who is a priest a few questions about this ,your local priest would only Carrie out a normal blessing of the house,he would not come a second time in a matter of day to preform a second blessing if the op stated to the priest that she tough she was still been haunted he would notify his superiors in Rome this would take time and is taken very serious by the church.There are appointed priest who do this.Also if the priest had prior knowledge from a former owner that something was wrong he would not have told you that,by know the priest has notified his superiors of this as the op is the second owner to ask the priest for the house to be blessed for same reasons.Also the church class this as a type of evil [devil] not a haunting so all quoted text are in Latin ,does not matter where you think your ghost is from

• Advertisement

agreed that this does not add up at all , and I cant imagine the priest adding fuel to the fire by telling the house owner that the previous occupants called out a priest previous. Surely the first port of call would have been to contact the last owner of the house to probe their reasons for selling up first seccond port of call would be a competent electrician to ascertain if there was dangerous wiring in the house , I agree that the language of any supposed entity does not matter a jot and would be taken seriously in Rome . The more I read here the more i dout the authenticity of the story , sounds to me like the original poster was having a laugh ,.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Great yarn, but plot full of holes. Even taking the small example of OP signing into boards to 'report' after such freaky ****t as table smashing and nosebleeds. They'd be running up the street already.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Great yarn, but plot full of holes. Even taking the small example of OP signing into boards to 'report' after such freaky ****t as table smashing and nosebleeds. They'd be running up the street already.

Agreed it was sloppy writing in many respect. Also I felt the author rushed the whole story, they should have left the story play out over a longer experience and build up more suspense.

Otherwise it was a good first attempt at a reality-fiction story.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

For me it was the title. To move from haunting "i think" to selling house in matter of two weeks was a bit too far imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

It was also mentioned that an audio recorder was being set up every night. Two days later OP reported loads of whispering during the night, but made no mention of any recordings (or lack there of).

Also the nosebleeds were a bit too 'Hammer House of Horror'. Twas a good read though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

Ah ya know thats theres still many that would still believe the post, and I'd be 99.9% sure thats its a hoax.

We'd all benefit if the OP 'fessed up and then closed "her account".

This was the first item that had me chuckling, but I tried to take it seriously....

"My cousin got a broken toe when the door flew open as he was walking past it.

His toes got stuck under the door as he walked by when it opened. We put that down to the wind."

The Priest getting involved was the end of it for me, but then again, Irish Priests eh!?

Mannix80,are ya still there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mannix80

I've calmed down a bit now. I was freaking out for a couple of days, but have got myself together now.
    Still not going back to the house though. Its definitely going up for sale.

I've read the rest of the posts since I was away and thanks again to all those who tried to help. I'm used to people not believing me anyway. Even my husband wouldnt believe me until last week.

I'll just answer a couple of the skeptics questions, even though i thought I would get some support from people here.

Things didnt get unbearable until after the priest came. After that they got worse. As I said he is a family friend, so of course he will help me out. He knows me since I was a baby. Hes even offered to try again, but I've had enough. I've also asked him to keep it secret and he has agreed to.

The medium has also offered to come back, but enough is enough.

We dont know the people who owned the house before or where they are now. We dont care anyway. They more than likely are not going to give us our money back. We got the house cheap and now we know the reason. We'll be selling it cheap too.

We didnt take photos of the coffee table or the bed as we were freaked and concentrating on getting out of the house with out sanity intact. I sat downstairs while my husband packed up what we needed and we left. What would photos prove anyway? that there was flour on the bed and a broken table. Skeptics arent going to believe that was anything paranormal about those photos either.

I said before that my phone only picks up the noise of us snoring or tossing in the bed. It never picked up the whispering noise.

If a mod can close this thread now I would be grateful. The posts that have been made recently are not helpful to me at all. If anyone wants anymore info about what happened or if I can help them with anything they can PM me and i'll try to answer them. But tbh this thread is finished for me after the posts of the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭carpediem

Wow! What a story!

The title caught my attention, the story freaked me out, and the ending left me skeptical. No video, no pictures, no recordings whatsoever. Although, I still don't think video or pictures would have completely convinced me.

It was creatively written though.

My personal take is that the OP may be an amateur writer and is testing the online reacation to her fabricated story. I could be wrong though as I'm no expert in paranormal activity, hauntings or ghosts.

Whether it is true or not, thanks for posting OP :-) It was a fun read.

Boo!

Mannix80, can you please supply one bit of evidence, eg: photo, name of priest, name of medium etc to add some weight to your claims. (I'm not asking for evidence of the paranormal).

A photo of the table, the curtains, the slamming door, the stain on the ceiling, or a photo of your cousins broken toe even. Thank you.

"We dont know the people who owned the house before or where they are now. We dont care anyway.

They more than likely are not going to give us our money back".......

ah come on Mannix80, what age are you? I doubt you could buy a glass of lager,let alone buy a house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Mannix80, can you please supply one bit of evidence, eg: photo, name of priest, name of medium etc to add some weight to your claims. (I'm not asking for evidence of the paranormal).

A photo of the table, the curtains, the slamming door, the stain on the ceiling, or a photo of your cousins broken toe even. Thank you.

She has a point though, no matter what photo she could post, folk will think it's faked.

It's a hair raising story Mannix. I was curious as to why you refused a medium's help here though saying you were afraid to, then you allowed one in with an Ouija board:confused:..even if there were no spirits in your home, there surely would be after messing about with one of those:eek:. Ps many, many many great spooky stories on here are suspected of being made up. Whether they are or not, they make great reading. Oh and welcome to Boards:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mannix80

posts like this are the reason im not going to answer anymore questions on this thread and would like it closed. I said i dont have photos, though i do have one of the the ceiling where the bottle hit it now that you mention it. Its just a photo of a mark on the ceiling. You wouldnt believe me even if I got it off my phone and uploaded it.

I'm hardly going to post peoples names here either.

So thats it for me. If anyone else wants to talk to me they can by PM. Hopefully my experience can help them. eg dont get priests or mediums into your house if strange things are happening. Just move out.

Ann22 - sent you a PM

Ann22 wrote: »
    She has a point though, no matter what photo she could post, folk will think it's faked.

Ann22, indeed, but my point is that not one bit of supporting evidence was offered, however thin it may have been. All of the requests were dodged and excuses made. Fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ukonline

-

Contact James Randi.

He's still offering 1 Million Dollars to anyone
    that can provide evidence of the paranormal.

-

ukonline wrote: »
    -

Contact James Randi.

He's still offering 1 Million Dollars to anyone
    that can provide evidence of the paranormal.

-

Ok, thanks for dat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Mannix80 wrote: »
    I've calmed down a bit now. I was freaking out for a couple of days, but have got myself together now.
    Still not going back to the house though. Its definitely going up for sale.

I've read the rest of the posts since I was away and thanks again to all those who tried to help. I'm used to people not believing me anyway. Even my husband wouldnt believe me until last week.

I'll just answer a couple of the skeptics questions, even though i thought I would get some support from people here.

Things didnt get unbearable until after the priest came. After that they got worse. As I said he is a family friend, so of course he will help me out. He knows me since I was a baby. Hes even offered to try again, but I've had enough. I've also asked him to keep it secret and he has agreed to.

The medium has also offered to come back, but enough is enough.

We dont know the people who owned the house before or where they are now. We dont care anyway. They more than likely are not going to give us our money back. We got the house cheap and now we know the reason. We'll be selling it cheap too.

We didnt take photos of the coffee table or the bed as we were freaked and concentrating on getting out of the house with out sanity intact. I sat downstairs while my husband packed up what we needed and we left. What would photos prove anyway? that there was flour on the bed and a broken table. Skeptics arent going to believe that was anything paranormal about those photos either.

I said before that my phone only picks up the noise of us snoring or tossing in the bed. It never picked up the whispering noise.

If a mod can close this thread now I would be grateful. The posts that have been made recently are not helpful to me at all. If anyone wants anymore info about what happened or if I can help them with anything they can PM me and i'll try to answer them. But tbh this thread is finished for me after the posts of the last few days.
    Well done lads..way to go with the sympathetic ear and understanding.i know where to come the next time i need help or advice..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 peil

maccored wrote: »
    Ripped off, or fell down? How can you be sure which?

Well if it went from the living room to the landing...

I think that if a person is genuinely in need of help , they should of course post here , there is no dout about that .This forum is a great place to get help and advice as long as you are genuine with your queries .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 peil

Ziphius wrote: »
    But Connect 4 has small parts. A choking hazard surely? ;)

I actually am looking for a serious answer.

There was an experiment conducted by a Victorian "scientist" (unfortunately I cannot find his name but Derren Brown made a video showing the experiment shouldn't be too hard to find) in which a shot glass was used as the pointer, and a stack of card discs were tied n top. As the shot glass moved, the slant of the card discs was the same as the direction of the shot glass' motion. If it had been the other way around, it would have shown the people/person's finger(s) were being pulled, rather than doing the pulling.

So in short, they're fake, at least when conducted in a controlled environment. I have no doubt though people will still say the spirits won't work when science is involved. I still wouldn't use it because I'm very superstitious and for some reason nervous of an Sí and the weird science people are always finding (unusual, I know).

• Advertisement

Maudi, ur kiddin surely? As far as I can read, paranormal boards.ie is the last place on this planet to seek a sympathetic ear.

(However I do acknowledge other planets might be more accommodating).

As a boards.ie member, we are allowed (I presume) to air an opinion based on the limited details presented/offered (?).

Therefore we use our knowledge and experience to make a decision based on that.

You remain open-minded presumably (?) but also make a general critical judgement on those calling "hoax".

I've have read back through similar threads and those posters calling "troll/fake/hoax" do not appear to pass general critical comment on either "pro" or "open-minded" posters (on similar threads).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement