Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Outside School?

Options
  • 16-09-2012 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Well Lads!
    I am considering doing French outside of school just to get the ordinary D3 required for a lot of the courses i have an interest in post leaving Cert? I was just wondering does anyone have past experience of Doing this And is it Hard to teach yourself to a level where you can sit the leaving and have a decent chance of getting a good grade! I am currently doing Higher French in school but i wouldn't be that strong at it and my teacher is fairly bad so i was thinking of doing Ag science or accounting Instead to bring my points up. Anyways the main point is Do ye think it is plausible to teach yourself French and probably grinds in 6th year to pass it in the LC. btw I'm in 5th year.
    Any Comments help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

keeper1995 wrote: »
    Well Lads!
    I am considering doing French outside of school just to get the ordinary D3 required for a lot of the courses i have an interest in post leaving Cert? I was just wondering does anyone have past experience of Doing this And is it Hard to teach yourself to a level where you can sit the leaving and have a decent chance of getting a good grade! I am currently doing Higher French in school but i wouldn't be that strong at it and my teacher is fairly bad so i was thinking of doing Ag science or accounting Instead to bring my points up. Anyways the main point is Do ye think it is plausible to teach yourself French and probably grinds in 6th year to pass it in the LC. btw I'm in 5th year.
    Any Comments help :)
    Well there's nothing saying you can't, but with the oral and the difference between JC and LC French is it something you can really do?

Maybe learn Russian or Japanese? They're only supposed to be started at LC and most people learn them by themselves anyways! I think there's an oral in Japanese, not sure about Russian! Check it out!

http://www.curriculumonline.ie/en/Post-Primary_Curriculum/Senior_Cycle_Curriculum/Leaving_Certificate_Established/Japanese/

http://www.curriculumonline.ie/en/Post-Primary_Curriculum/Senior_Cycle_Curriculum/Leaving_Certificate_Established/Russian/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes there is an oral in Russian.

Will your school just let you switch out of one subject into another? How do they manage that, numbers-wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 keeper1995

I only got a D in higher in the J.C but i didn't really study at all for it. Russian and Japanese are something to consider but i think the Different Alphabets might be something to get around considering i would only be getting a grind once a week and yeah my school have no problem with me swapping theres room in both the Ag science and accounting classes i just have to make my decision about French by Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Last year I took up ordinary French 3 weeks before my oral exam in 6th year with no outside help, I just taught myself and went from the little knowledge I still had from JC and came out with a C1. It's entirely possible if you start now so don't worry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sophiiieee

i did french for the junior cert but was never much good at it so i gave it up but then i needed it for my course and i took it up at the start of 6th year outside school, i got a few grinds in it but it is definatly manageable i only wanted a d3 as well and ended up getting a b2, it is no harder than junior cert higher level, there is a massive difference between higher and ordinary leaving cert french

• Advertisement
Advertisement