Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your video game regrets.

Options
  • 16-09-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

So a lot of us here have probably had an interest in video games for a number of years now. I got my first console, a Mega Drive at Christmas 1992 I think. Over the years we must all have made some decisions that we later regretted. These are mine.

32X
    I remember seeing this for the first time on Gamesmaster and thought it was going to be amazing. I got it for Christmas and Doom was my launch game. I only ever got two other games for it, Virtua Racing Deluxe and Star Wars Arcade. It really was a terrible piece of hardware and I regret asking my mam to get it for me. I guess it must have been expensive back then.

3DS
    I got my 3DS at launch. I think it is the first console I've bought at launch and it will be the last. Thinking back I don't know why I got one as none of the launch games interested me. Then there was the massive price cut shortly after buying it. It was only with the release of Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land in Nov/Dec that game me something to play on it. Then there was an 8 month gap till the next game, NSMB2. I like the device but there just doesn't seem to be enough games that interest me on it.

Another regret I have is that I let my mam give away my Mega Drive, 32X and my games when I had stopped playing it. Also I'm sorry I ever traded in any games in the past for the pennies you get at places like Gamestop. I haven't traded in anything in years and feel better for it.

As for individual games I would mention Alien Trilogy on the PSOne. That game would make me nauseous after five minutes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

When I was about 16 or so, I realised that girls were actually starting to talk to me. This menat that the old Playstation suddenly became obsolete as I began chasing skirt as best I could. So I sold off my playstation, along with all the games I had acquired for it, because I felt I had no need for it any more. When I hit 18, the girl I was seeing at the time bought me one of those little baby PSOnes, because she noticed me taking an interest in my friend's one. I started remembering all the great games I used to play, and got heavier into gaming than I ever was before. Now, just over ten years later, I'm a big collector of games, but I'm still searching for copies of those old games I stupidly sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Nintendo Wii

Sold it 3 days after release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Ps3 waste of money when online was laggy as he'll on most games. Constant updating taking forever and the god dam game install then to top it off I got ylod back to xbox360 no regrets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Naughty Bear.

It was the first time in aaaaages that I had bought a game without looking up a review (should have set off alarm bells that there were no review by launch day). Played it for 4 hours and it was just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i started gaming back in the late 80's and my biggest regret is that i didnt keep those old systems and games

my first game was pitfall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhXMYw1lXY0

my fondest games were

Duck Hunt
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-daxzVxrQI

Captain Planet
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXVlsn-DM5k

Metroid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti1V0YMULGs

Wing Commander
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qjzQkalm10

Wing Commander 4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwl_JM03Az4

Starfox
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7TF5evojYA

Super Metroid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXVA_RDzxss

Doom
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_paAM9bhBNI

and of course
    Super mario world
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naD6mNeHIsE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Every single second I wasted pining for the release of Ultima IX: Ascension. I've yet to feel a similar level of disappointment in all my years of gaming. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I had a bunch of the GBA pokemon games, emerald, firered/leafgreen, ruby/sapphire, and gamestation was giving a fiver a cartridge, I sold all of them for a copy of metroid prime hunters :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Only one, the X box, I played Halo, Halo2, Doom 3 and a bit of Time Snipers but not much more than that. I had migrated over to the PC and wanted to engage in my console nostalgia. I don't regret the 32x or Saturn though, they provided priceless memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I don't regret the 32x or Saturn though, they provided priceless memories.

What game did you like on the 32X?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

No regrets in hardware purchases yet..

Plenty of games left me unfulfilled over the years though, usually the most hyped ones were the biggest letdowns, in particular, Aion and every other mmo i've bought that wasnt Wow. Command and Conquer 4 was probably the biggest regret i've ever had, lucky for me i was in the beta and made my decision for the first time in ten years i would not be buying a C&C game. Disgusted with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Oh, too human. £42.99 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Sega Saturn: sold my copies of Guardian Heroes. Also lent my neighbour the SS and several of my games, never got the games back :(

Gamecube: sold my copies of Ikaruga and Skies of Arcadia Legends. You can form an orderly queue over there to horse-whip me for doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

No regrets in hardware purchases yet..

Plenty of games left me unfulfilled over the years though, usually the most hyped ones were the biggest letdowns, in particular, Aion and every other mmo i've bought that wasnt Wow. Command and Conquer 4 was probably the biggest regret i've ever had, lucky for me i was in the beta and made my decision for the first time in ten years i would not be buying a C&C game. Disgusted with it.

Command and conquer hit its peak with red alert although i did enjoy C&C Generals aswell :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Sheesh, this thread's awfully depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Sega Saturn: sold my copies of Guardian Heroes. Also lent my neighbour the SS and several of my games, never got the games back :(

I did worse, selling a saturn plus 23 games (including Guardian Heroes & Shining The Holy Ark) for about €60 in a car boot sale

Dead Rising 2. Enjoyed the first one, and even got through case zero, but found DR2 to be lazy and just more of the same. Pretty stressful too, with all of those time limits and tough bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Traded the Orange Box and Ninja Gaiden 2 for cash when I was stuck, regretted it ever since...

Even though both can be got easily enough nowadays....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

The main two that come to mind are:

-Trading in my copies of the two Rainbow Six: Vegas games. Two of the best tactical shooters I've played.

-Trading in my copy of Black Ops for Homefront. Wasn't a fan of Black Ops' multiplayer but the Nazi Zombies mode was fantastic, at least until the maps started to become over-complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I sold of a load of PS1 games, including the original GTA, GTA: London, Grudge Warriors, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, Wild 9, Overblood 2 and a whole bunch more.

£1 each.

One. Pound. Each.

WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING? :mad:

Made the same mistake with some PS2 games, including The Urbs: Sims in the City and a few others.

Selling games is the only thing I regret in my gaming history. I haven't traded in a game since I got the 360 in '08. I still have my copies of FIFA 10 and FIFA 11 for example, with no intention of selling them.

I never regret buying a bad game. I bought Alan Wake, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and Saints Row: The Third and wouldn't be mad about any of them, but at least I can have a discussion about the games with someone and know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Buying a Wii and a Kinect.

Most recently i guess would be buying Halo 3 and MW2. Probably loads more purchases i regret but these two stick out the most.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

My biggest regret is BF3.

Multiplayer only. Bought it on launch day and it only ever leaves the disc tray for whatever disappointing DVD is rented.

Love the game.

So my regret?

In that whole time I've never got into a jet.

Intimidating.

I got into a helicopter once and crashed it after 15 seconds.

Never again.

So much time with my passive aggressive javelin staring enviously at those beautiful jets flying through the air bringing death from above with such grace.

Maybe one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So let's start.

Wii - where was my brain.... Traded it in or phat ps3. Best thing that came out of that thing.

Spore - what a stinky pile of poo. Was deleted same day and 50eu I will never get back! :( Still got 2 installs though!!! Cool!!!

Buying duke nuken balls of steel edition - I am really embarrassed of this... I haven't even finished Allen ship part, which is prety much beginning of the game. 80eu for the damn thing!

3ds - on the fence here. I am just not using it. Wasted money. Even bigger wasted money, because I would prefer the 3ds XL now as its just more comfortable. Even so I am using my ps vita a lot more then 3ds. Regret buying it.

I regret watching info on Nintendo wii U - because I fecking want it now!!!! :(. I should learn at this stage that Nintendo is a wasted product on me, but ability to play console games in the palm of your hand, while misses watching tv is like a perfection for me. I don't care about wii u gimmick bull****. I would buy it purely as handheld for home. Well I guess more money wasted by me on Nintendo again. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

Sold red dead revolver....biggest mistake i ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

My biggest regret in gaming was getting rid of my Amiga and game collection to invest in a SNES.
    Not the purchase of the SNES mind you, just getting rid of an awesome gaming computer with many favourite games. I'll still never find a better version of Elite anywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Always amazed at the level of vitriol and misperceptions leveled at the Wii. Frankly if you didn't use the console you only have yourself to blame, and you've missed out. It is home to many of this generation's most adventurous, innovative, unusual, quirky and downright entertaining games.

Always amazed at the level of vitriol and misperceptions leveled at the Wii. Frankly if you didn't use the console you only have yourself to blame, and you've missed out. It is home to many of this generation's most adventurous, innovative, unusual, quirky and downright entertaining games.

It's a regret thread, not bashing thread. No need to defend it. Some products don't work for some people, that does not make they arebad, but that does not make they great too. It's a matter of needs and preferences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's a regret thread, not bashing thread. No need to defend it. Some products don't work for some people, that does not make they arebad, but that does not make they great too. It's a matter of needs and preferences.

I've just seen it pop up in a lot of threads recently - that the Wii was worthless, a failure of a console or - heaven forbid - a 'kiddies' console. Just felt like countering what I feel is a very unfair generalisation.

And hey - what is the benefit of a discussion forum where you can't discuss something :)

I've just seen it pop up in a lot of threads recently - that the Wii was worthless, a failure of a console or - heaven forbid - a 'kiddies' console. Just felt like countering what I feel is a very unfair generalisation?

And hey - what is the benefit of a discussion forum where you can't discuss something :)

Aye, I know what you mean. Wii does get a lot of bashing, but you can't blame people on forums not liking it. It has a few jewel games, but majority of stuff is not for gamers, who would be in gaming forums ( age group ).
    I personally was disappointed by it. I don't like motion controls and scart cable. I was never mario, zelda gamer, so not much games that apeal to me. So my regret was spending money on item I don't make any use off. It's like wasted on me, if that makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I dunno if this counts, but the number of conversations I've sucked the fun out of in response to someone jokingly dismissing the Wii. I tend to hi-jack4 affairs 'til everyone in a five mile radius has a conversational equivalent of 4 A4 sheets (both sides, of course) on why the Wii is a valid console, why it made sense business-wise and a series of games that don't rely on motion-controls to enjoy. My other-half stopped inviting me out for a while.....

Oh, and on an actual regret, not playing the Mother trilogy when I was younger. I can only imagine how much it would've blown my mind as young'un, considering its impact on me later in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I also regret not looking after the Commodore 64 we got for free when one of our neighbours moved house in the late 90's early 00's. Worked perfectly, with a bag full of games, joysticks and the tape deck.

Came home from college one weekend and got a craving to break it out and play it.

Found it in the garage, keyboard smashed. Devastating. Would nearly pay to buy another one right now. :(

Advertisement