Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your video game regrets.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Gamecube: sold my copies of Ikaruga and Skies of Arcadia Legends. You can form an orderly queue over there to horse-whip me for doing that.

You have suffered enough already...but why are you people nowhere to be found when I'm looking for a copy of these things!;)

Don't regret any hardware purchases, but then I haven't owned that many consoles (post NES I was mostly into PCs, only migrated back to consoles this gen.) Though I reckon so long as it's not an N-Gage or Gizmondo or something, then every "proper" format is worth owning just for the sake of collecting. Don't regret choosing the Dreamcast over the PS2, or GameGear over the Gameboy! Hell the VirtualBoy, surely the worst format ever made by a major games company, is a real collector's item these days.

Actual regret: buying The Sims, and discovering it was an affront to everything I believed in as a gamer (at the time I didn't actually realise I believed in anything as a gamer:p).

A more minor one: buying a smartphone, then discovering that the various emulators for Android supported the Sony Xperia Play controls. That would have made for a neat portable, but I'm not getting a new phone just for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

My biggest regret was selling 13 games for the special edition for killzone 3

One of the biggest cash in titles i ever experienced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I don't regret buying a Wii at all and I don't even get to use it any more because it's 40 miles away in Kilkenny. It's great for having a laugh when I'm home with Mario Kart and it makes a nice little media centre with the Homebrew Channel.

I do regret buying my Xbox 360. I only got it because I had about €200 in One4All vouchers that were about to expire. I could nearly count on one hand the amount of times I've used it. I also regret buying Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 1 with it but only because they're so much better on PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I gave away a Sega Master System. That one still hurts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

TPD wrote: »
    I gave away a Sega Master System. That one still hurts.

I had the one with alex kidd in miracle world pre loaded on it. So you turn it on with no cartridge and alex kidd started playing. Still works too.

• Advertisement

I had the one with alex kidd in miracle world pre loaded on it. So you turn it on with no cartridge and alex kidd started playing. Still works too.

alex kidd classic

rock paper sissors boss battle :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

kinect.need i say more?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

alex kidd classic

Never cleared it.

So I just googled it.
    However, the game did have an undocumented "continue" feature, where the player could continue the game with three lives from the beginning of the level where Alex had died, by holding the up button and pressing the 2 button eight times during the GAME OVER screen. This feature would cost the player 400 Baums (the in-game currency).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Kidd_in_Miracle_World

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Aye, I know what you mean. Wii does get a lot of bashing, but you can't blame people on forums not liking it. It has a few jewel games, but majority of stuff is not for gamers, who would be in gaming forums ( age group ).

Have to disagree with you there. Some one that actually does know games would know that the Wii has an amazing selection of titles, many of which are experiences you won't get on any other system. If you don't like the Wii its your own fault you haven't been buying the right games.

As for my regrets, mostly just not buying games that turned out to be rarities latter on. I left a copy of Rule of Rose on the shelf. Turns out it's now worth a pretty penny and it's one of my favourite games.

Never cleared it.

So I just googled it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Kidd_in_Miracle_World

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

never played the master system version but the sega heritage port on psn couple months ago

i would of shot my ballz off playing through rock paper scissors moments as they are random segments

great platformer though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

deathrider wrote: »
    When I was about 16 or so, I realised that girls were actually starting to talk to me. This menat that the old Playstation suddenly became obsolete as I began chasing skirt as best I could. So I sold off my playstation, along with all the games I had acquired for it, because I felt I had no need for it any more. When I hit 18, the girl I was seeing at the time bought me one of those little baby PSOnes, because she noticed me taking an interest in my friend's one. I started remembering all the great games I used to play, and got heavier into gaming than I ever was before. Now, just over ten years later, I'm a big collector of games, but I'm still searching for copies of those old games I stupidly sold.

did you marry this girl?! im guessing not with the 'at the time' but that was a cool thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    did you marry this girl?! im guessing not with the 'at the time' but that was a cool thing to do

Not, sure didn't. Almost married that Playstation though, lol. Yeah, it was a sweet move on her behalf, and if that never happened, I probably wouldn't have fallen back in love with video games the way I did. Which would mean I wouldn't be the big gamer I am today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I still have that Master System, doesn't work though. Still not getting rid of it.
    alex kidd classic

janken_match.png

Janken! I was 5 or 6, I hadn't a clue what was going on during those parts of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I paid money for D&D Online. Not just a lousy game, but a disgraceful abuse of the Eberron setting, which was the best thing to come out of WOTC in many, many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Actually that reminds me: I was in a shop in Dublin years ago that sold SNES games (but it was around Playstation era) and they had a boxed copy of Super Metroid. I passed it up for Illusion of Time. Which is not a bad game by any means, but still. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Same, don't think I ever actually owned any games for it. Did borrow Sonic and Tails Chaos and an Aladdin game almost constantly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Wii - Monster Hunter 3
    When it came out I thought the concept was amazing.
    Turned out to just be repetative crap.

Xbox - New Vegas
    F3 was one of my favourite games, so I thought NV would keep the experience going. I just had none of the same feel to it. Walking for miles through a desert isn't as interesting as the city.

NES - Zelda II
    When I was a kid Zelda was my favourite game. In Zelda II they just changed the whole thing around completely. Could never get that far into it.

PC - Supreme Commander 2
    My god this was crap compared to the original!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you there. Some one that actually does know games would know that the Wii has an amazing selection of titles, many of which are experiences you won't get on any other system. If you don't like the Wii its your own fault you haven't been buying the right games.

As for my regrets, mostly just not buying games that turned out to be rarities latter on. I left a copy of Rule of Rose on the shelf. Turns out it's now worth a pretty penny and it's one of my favourite games.

Just because YOU like some games on wii, does not make it a great console. There are few good games and there is a sea of shiet and puke on it too.
    I don't blame people buying wii and being disappointed by it. Other gaming platforms of same age have a lot more good games, then wii. So just because they don't enjoy those games, it's their fault for regretting buying wii?

There are people who like wii, and people who don't. Easy. Same way someone mentioned here buying Xbox 360. They have right to regret that for their own reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

My biggest regret was selling my SNES when I was younger. Still not sure why I did considering I kept onto my other consoles from that time and before. Shameful to say it was also the last Nintendo device I had bought.

Also regret leaving my PS3 in another country. Decided that it was too heavy to ship/carry so just sold it cheaply to a mate. It was around the time Uncharted 3 was released so gutted I never got to play that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was thinking I didn't have any till I was reminded of the Wii! At least it didn't cost too much and I went halfs on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

I regret the 60+ games in my steam library staring back at me saying 0 minutes played!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just because YOU like some games on wii, does not make it a great console. There are few good games and there is a sea of shiet and puke on it too.
    I don't blame people buying wii and being disappointed by it. Other gaming platforms of same age have a lot more good games, then wii. So just because they don't enjoy those games, it's their fault for regretting buying wii?

Firstly. nobody is forcing you to play the crap games. Every console has a sea of crap games, it's your fault if you buy them. The PS2 has more crap on it than the Wii, doesn't make it a bad console.

As for there only being games I like, I can guarantee I can list off a load of excellent Wii games that are amazing and there will be loads in it that you would like if you gave them a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The wii is great, thats tons of great games on there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Getting the WiiLoader (disc that lets you play import games on the Wii).

I had the original Freeloader for the Gamecube and enjoyed importing tons of games like F-Zero and RE4 way before they reached these shores as well as loads of anime based games I never would've gotten to play so getting the WiiLoader was an obvious choice.

It worked a charm and I got Naruto Shippuden GNT3 and an excellent Gundam game. Then I got an EU game that forced a system update - bam - no more WiiLoader compatibility! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

cloud493 wrote: »
    The wii is great, thats tons of great games on there!
    It probably does, but nothing that I'm interested in. And I hate the controller. Wii's fault? No. But do I regret buying it? Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

My biggest regret is BF3.

Multiplayer only. Bought it on launch day and it only ever leaves the disc tray for whatever disappointing DVD is rented.

Love the game.

So my regret?

In that whole time I've never got into a jet.

Intimidating.

I got into a helicopter once and crashed it after 15 seconds.

Never again.

So much time with my passive aggressive javelin staring enviously at those beautiful jets flying through the air bringing death from above with such grace.

Maybe one day.

I'm sure this won't help the regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

My biggest regret has to be Duke nukem forever.......... man talk about having your childhood rapped!:mad: second would be alone in the dark on the wii , only cosole game i have ever played where I nearly threw the controler at the console while inveting new curse words that if uttered would cause baby seals to club themselves!!!

Recently picked up mass effect 3 for the Pc only to find the game would not install from the DVDS but would only download all 10 gigs from the internet , dont know whats the point of supplying disks if the game wont use them :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm curious as to what games on the Wii people did play before regretting their purchase? It's easy to be cynical about the Wii's popularity, and a large percentage of the playerset embracing the shallowest games the system has to offer (although the shovelware:greats ratio is not necessarily any better or worse than it is on Xbox, PS3 or PC) but I can't imagine any self-proclaimed gamer spending a few hours with Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 and not being completely wooed by what are amongst the strongest recent candidates to deserve the 'perfect' label (and this opinion being extremely close to undisputed). Sure, there's always a significant level of subjectivity, but sometimes greatness becomes much, much harder to dispute.

Every medium has its fair share of rubbish, which due to society's general unconscious rejection of quality tends to attract unwarranted levels of popularity. But there's always something in there for everyone, even if you have to dig a little at times.

Except the CDi. That can go to hell :P

Except the CDi. That can go to hell :P

As much as I defend it, that is a pretty big regret. At least I learned how to solder from resurrecting that piece of ****!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Definitely trading in my games. I probably wouldn't have played as many as I did as a child because of trading in 10 games for 2 but looking back now, I had some great games that will be near impossible to find now.

Advertisement