Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your video game regrets.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Cienciano wrote: »
    It probably does, but nothing that I'm interested in. And I hate the controller. Wii's fault? No. But do I regret buying it? Yes.

There are solutions, where supported:

wiiClassicController.jpg

12491.jpg

That's before I even mention the Wavebird.

The Wii is essentially the Holly Golightly of modern consoles. Make of that what you will........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I was disappointed at Nintendo failing to implement motion control as anything other than a gimmick having sold me a console on the back of the promising tech demo that was Wii Sports. (OK so Skyward Sword finally lived up to it but how many years did we have to wait for one title!)

I don't, however, regret getting a Wii. There have been enough quality titles to keep me going - Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Little King Story, Sakura Wars, Monster Hunter Tri, Xenoblade Chronicles, Last Story.... and there have been plenty of others I haven't played.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you there. Some one that actually does know games would know that the Wii has an amazing selection of titles, many of which are experiences you won't get on any other system. If you don't like the Wii its your own fault you haven't been buying the right games.

As for my regrets, mostly just not buying games that turned out to be rarities latter on. I left a copy of Rule of Rose on the shelf. Turns out it's now worth a pretty penny and it's one of my favourite games.

People regret buying the Wii not the games because the console is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    There are solutions, where supported:

wiiClassicController.jpg

12491.jpg

That's before I even mention the Wavebird.

The Wii is essentially the Holly Golightly of modern consoles. Make of that what you will........
    If you're going down that road, here's an even better solution:

ps32.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Funny that you mention that...

Around two years ago when I announced to my mates that I was finally going to get one I was greeted by a sea of warnings. "Don't get it", they shouted, "there are no games out for it, mine is gathering dust, you'll regret it!". Obviously, I found this quite peculiar so I asked some more folk and looked around on some other forums yet I kept seeing the same thing, the Wii has no games.

And then I asked them what games they owned. "Eh, WiiSports, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart and eh...".

Two years later and I still have the same conversation with folk on the subject. People seem to have just not bought any bloody games for it. Galaxy 2 was written off for being more of the same, dito for Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword, the existence of Donkey Kong Country Returns was disputed, Metroid 3/Trilogy was ignored because it was either unfamiliar or folk didn't like FPS games on the console, No More Heroes was dismissed for being "too weird looking and/or Japanese" and queries of Sin & Punishment where met with total bewilderment.

Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone. There are plenty of people who simply don't like motion controls in general, that's totally understandable. Then there are others for whom the Wii was the only console they owned, regret in this instance is equally understandable since they would have missed the high profile multi-platform titles released on the 360/PS3.

However, it does seem to apply to the majority of people I've come across so to say I'm baffled that people are dismissive of a video games console for which they haven't bought any games is putting it rather lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cienciano wrote: »
    If you're going down that road, here's an even better solution:

Here's an even better better solution: open your mind, game on all the consoles you can afford, and enjoy the wealth of great games available for the lot of them equally.

I'm still curious to hear what games all the Wii regretters actually played?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Right, you say great games on wii, but Majority still regret buying it.

Great games is a very vast term. A lot of people mentioned mario, zelda games, jrpg's.
    What if person don't enjoy those games? They bought it, tried it, now regret buying it. Like I said, just because you like those games, it does not make it a great console.

For example i could not give a flying feck about motion controls. 99% of the time you just want to take original design control and play with that, because it is 500% more efficient and more precise.
    Then I don't really care about mario games. I am older gamer and played mario games when they were new. I did gave them a chance, but they are just not my cup of tea. From what I see from 2 last mario games it's more of the same.
    Zelda - in my humble opinion it is the most over rated game and it gets more credit then it ever deserved. Did I gave it a chance? Yes, I played twilight princes and found it properly meh, ocorina of time? Pure meh and a waste of money.
    Jrpg's. There was a time when I loved ff7 and ff8. I loved jrpg's, but now I don't. So jrpg's are not in my list of great games.
    Now there are people who loved those games and fair fecking play to them. If they enjoy it, then I only wish more games like this for them. Have fun!
    So now I regret buying console, because I though I will play games I like, but I did not enjoyed those games offered to me. Is it my fault for not linking it? No. Is it nintendos fault for me regretting buying it? No. Different games for different people.
    I am pretty sure a lot of wii gamers won't like my library of games and my choice of platform. That is okay. I won't defend that platform, just because you dont like it.I can't force you to play games, you don't enjoy.

Making excuse: "you buy wrong games" does not cut it. Something that is right for you, is not right for someone else.

As much as I regret buying wii, I can't hide my attraction to wii u. Some of the stuff it offers is very practical and can add to gaming experience. Not just gimmick.

It's not a hate to Nintendo, it's just issue of buying a product, which has no use for buyer. That is my opinion on wii, though I can't say it for everyone out there. There are haters, fanboys or just people who don't like nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Here's an even better better solution: open your mind, game on all the consoles you can afford, and enjoy the wealth of great games available for the lot of them equally.

I'm still curious to hear what games all the Wii regretters actually played?
    As I said before, there's nothing wrong with the wii, it's just not for me. I much rather a normal controller. It's available for the wii, but you might as well have an xbox or ps3 if you're going to just use a normal controller. I'm not interested in games like Mario Galaxy. I can't remember the games I had for it, they're old at this stage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I fail to see how the Wii could be seen as a regret. It has a tremendous amount of fantastic titles.

My regret purchase lately was all the games at the Steam summer sale, only because I still have about 100 other games on Steam to play through first :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Good games are good games no matter what console they are on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

For all the people defending the Wii, if you could only game on 1 console this generation, how many of you are picking the Wii?

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, and I'm not saying that equates to it being worthy of regret, but surely very few people would have this as their only console?

Perhaps, for the people that did buy this before (or instead of) a 360 or PS3, they regret that decision. I don't think it's fair to bash them over the head with "You're doing it wrong" just because they regret the decision to get a Wii.

The Wii in my house isn't hooked up to the TV at the moment. I think Mario Galaxy is probably one of the most perfectly made games in history, and I in no way regret having a Wii in the house (not actually mine, belonging to the young'n), but it's 4th or 5th on a list of a number of gaming devices.

Still, not a regret for me, but I can see why it would be for some. It's easy to say "how can you regret it", when for many of us it's not a choice of "which console to get", it's a choice of "which console will I play on tonight"?

To add something non-Wii related, I regret little, but one that stands out was buying Tekken 4... Played TTT to death with friends, and bought 4 without thinking. I never really warmed to it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

What game did you like on the 32X?

Doom and Virtua Racing were great. The conversion of Doom I now know is terrible but at the time it was amazing. I had played zero tolerance before this so it was a big step up. I also had Mortal Kombat 2. I regret selling it along with the megadrive but I bought the megadrive again 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

My regret purchase lately was all the games at the Steam summer sale, only because I still have about 100 other games on Steam to play through first :rolleyes:

My regret is that I have only one life to play them all!

Also, its not so much a regret, but my short attention span has ment that I have bought all the hitman games a minimum of twice each!

a recent one was falling for they hype and buying red dead redemption. it was always not going to be my type of game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you don't like the Wii its your own fault you haven't been buying the right games.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say. Just because you like certain games on the console doesn't mean anyone else has too. It's like saying to someone "If you don't like McDonalds its your own fault you haven't been buying the right food". :rolleyes:

Most recent regret was allowing the girlfriend to buy me a Vita, memory card and Wipeout at launch. Finished Wipeout and have barely turned it on since. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For all the people defending the Wii, if you could only game on 1 console this generation, how many of you are picking the Wii?

No I wouldn't. But I'd rather have it complimenting a PS3 or 360 than having both a 360 and PS3. It's like the Gamecube last gen. The console might not be for you and you regret buying it but there's no point calling it crap or saying there's no games for it since that's just plain wrong. I don't like racing simulations but I wouldn't honestly tell people that Gran Turismo is terrible because I'd be wrong.

Anyway if all you wanted to do was play CoD and Fifa then it's your own fault you got a Wii without doing some research.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Seriously, lads, enough with the Wii is great/ Wii is ****e argument. It's getting really old. If someone doesn't like it, they don't like it. I have an original Xbox here, for which I have two games. Why? Because I don't like the console. You can list of a ton of fantastic titles for it, but that won't change my mind. I simply don't like it.

On the other hand, I have more games that sense when it comes to PS2. Why? Because I really like that console. Even though many of the same games were released on PS2 and Xbox, some of which were vastly superoir on Xbox, I'll still take the PS2 versions because I don't like the Xbox. It's not a crime.

The high horse, lads, get up off it, and let's not turn this onto another Wii love/hate thread. It's supposed to be about regrets. If someone regrets their purchase, then that's that. Regardless of what you think of the purchse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's easy to say "how can you regret it", when for many of us it's not a choice of "which console to get", it's a choice of "which console will I play on tonight"?

I think in recent years I've gone beyond console preferences and will simply play what catches me eye at any given moment (although it did start last gen, the only time I've been able to afford to pick up all three consoles). There have been times over the last few years when I haven't turned on my 360 or Wii for months, then others when my PS3 has gathered dust for weeks on end while I gorge on Skyward Sword. Indeed, I hadn't played a game on my 360 for months recently until I downloaded the (excellent) Mark of the Ninja at the weekend, and there were times when I would have easily listed that as my most played console.

So it's a very, very tough choice to just pick one, as this generation has only offered its full depth over all three consoles. I could say 360, but then I'd have missed the transcendence of Journey. I could say PS3, but then what of Sin & Punishment 2? I could say Wii, but what an affront that would be to Bayonetta!

I really don't think any console is better or worse than its competitors. All have flaws, all have weaknesses and complement and conflict each other in welcome ways. And in the hypothetical question you pose, I genuinely cannot bring myself to choose one.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

A bought a PS3 for Metal Gear Solid 4.

updown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I also had Mortal Kombat 2.

I remember seeing screenshots of this in a magazine at the time. It was probably Computer & Video Games. I thought it looked amazing. Much more colourful than the Mega Drive version and better even than the SNES version. The problem was I already had MK2 on the Mega Drive so I didn't buy it again.

I wonder if the sound quality was as offensive in the 32X version as it was on the Mega Drive.

Azza wrote: »
    A bought a PS3 for Metal Gear Solid 4.

updown.gif

For me it was disappointment, not regret. If that even makes any sense :(

• Advertisement

I regret MGS4 as well. I didn't even pay for it either, I regret sinking any amount of time into it.

Actually the PS3 is a big regret as well, well more the timing of it. I got it in the US about 9 months after launch and spent $500 on it. Thought it would be better to get it then since it was cheaper. However there was no games on it worth playing that I couldn't play on the 360 and was superior on the 360. For a long time the only time I turned it on was when I got Uncharted and then Valkyria Chronicles.

It's gotten a lot better now and I prefer it to the 360 but I should have waited until there were more games and bigger price drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

My main gripe with the wii is that any decent games, no matter how old, are still near their release price in any shops I look. The nintendo store is a rip off too

My main gripe with the wii is that any decent games, no matter how old, are still near their release price in any shops I look. The nintendo store is a rip off too

It's really just a problem with Nintendo games. Unless a nintendo game fails spectacularly Nintendo won't work out a credit deal with stores to sell the unsold stock on the cheap. It's why the only nintendo game you usually see cheap is Other M since it was a big failure while their popular games are overpriced even years after launch. Third party stuff tends to be cheap at least Very annoying though, it's the same with DS games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

in my eyes what i have seen is wii was a continuing of when console gaming was for me with the like of ps2 and ps3 , 360 started to look more and more like lower end pc with bad pc ports.

the fact the wii had no dlc nor patches so developers couldnt ship games with probems with no worries cause they could patch it later while still maintaining their release date was good for me

i picked up the wii in 08 so my whole family could play games together and i never knew bout the amount of quality games on the wii till 2010. games like:

Sin and punishment
    galaxy games
    twilight princess ( my first zelda game )
    super smash bros brawl ( only picked it up for sonic and solid snake )
    zack and wiki
    pandora tower
    the last story
    xenoblade
    fragile dreams
    sonic colours
    house of the dead overkill
    Mad World

i could go on and on but i think i made my point.
    there was true variety with the wii console , it was not just a market over saturated with shooters like the ps3 and 360.

i was never really a nintendo fan but i am glad i picked up the wii , it for me had some of the most rememorable moments in gaming for me this gen of console and although there were games i had equal fun with on my ps3 like
    yakuza
    catherine
    valkyria chronicles
    dead space
    sonic generations
    house of the dead 4

there was not a whole lot that really did capture the spirit that was once had back then

thats my opinion anyways , i think the bash the wii gets over the top at times , sure it has alot of shovelware but 360 and ps3 and theres aswell.

the thing i can never wrap my head around is i have friends who said wii games are all kiddy

really ?

i think hotd overkill and madworld says otherwise:pac:

I still don't get why people got their nickers in a twist, due to people regretting buying wii?

As I said before its not a bash thread, but a regret thread.
    So far it looks like defenders of wii make us look like bashers more, then we do it ourselfs! :D
    If a person regret buying it, it does not make it a basher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

If you picked up MGS4 without playing the previous games, you were more or less guaranteed to be dissapointed. As regards the cutscenes argument (too many cutscenes), they were skippable, so yeah.

I regret not being able to keep my old sega megadrive or master system. My folks sold my old consoles in order to better afford new ones. The last one they bought me was a ps1.

I still don't get why people got their nickers in a twist, due to people regretting buying wii?

Not about people regretting it, people calling the console crap and saying it has no good games.

If you picked up MGS4 without playing the previous games, you were more or less guaranteed to be dissapointed. As regards the cutscenes argument (too many cutscenes), they were skippable, so yeah.

I had played them all and am a big MGS4 fan. Still thought it was a very poor game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Sorry, I gotta call bullsh*t on that argument! Just because they were skippable, don't excuse the fact that they were way too long. If the game gave you a summary of each cutscene, so you didn't miss out on plot points, you might have an argument there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I played all the previous games and was a big fan of MGS and MGS 3, thats what made it all the more dissapointing.

Advertisement