Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your video game regrets.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

If you picked up MGS4 without playing the previous games, you were more or less guaranteed to be dissapointed. As regards the cutscenes argument (too many cutscenes), they were skippable, so yeah.

I regret not being able to keep my old sega megadrive or master system. My folks sold my old consoles in order to better afford new ones. The last one they bought me was a ps1.

it took me my fifth playthrough to see mgs4 had problems

i enjoyed them all , even mgs2.

if even mgs4 even removed the cutscenes you have a 3 hour game that the final two acts has you shooting robots and frogs in swarms

mgs4 was less stealth than previous games and had the worst boss battles in the series , well joint with peace walkers boss battles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Honestly suprised MGS4 is getting so much flack. I thought MGS2 would have been the black sheep of the series

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Great games is a very vast term. A lot of people mentioned mario, zelda games, jrpg's.
    What if person don't enjoy those games? They bought it, tried it, now regret buying it.
    Which raises the question, why would you buy a Nintendo console if you didn't like Mario, Zelda, JRPGs and other similarly Nintendo-styled games? :)

As for the general point of regret, I'm in no way saying people shouldn't regret it, I'm merely trying to understand why they regret it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MGS2 at least had some ambition especially with the misleading advertising campaign, it was pretty much the only 'profound' thing Kojima ever did and got right. Despite having many of the same flaws as MGS4 at least it had a lot of fun game play and great bosses, something MGS4 fails to do most of the time. The story and cutscenes were too long and nonsense but even MGS4 managed the impossible by making them longer and even more boring.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    MGS2 at least had some ambition especially with the misleading advertising campaign, it was pretty much the only 'profound' thing Kojima ever did and got right. Despite having many of the same flaws as MGS4 at least it had a lot of fun game play and great bosses, something MGS4 fails to do most of the time. The story and cutscenes were too long and nonsense but even MGS4 managed the impossible by making them longer and even more boring.

Before this thread gets derailed too much, i'll just say i enjoyed mgs2, its my current game on the MGS HD Collection that im playing. And i found MGS4s plotline quite interesting and a nice cap to solid snakes story.

I regret not ambushing that last russian soldier in the area and mugging him for his dogtag :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Had a choice to buy either Super Street Fighter 2 or Vortex for the SNES....

Disgusted-oh-god-why-text.png

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    Which raises the question, why would you buy a Nintendo console if you didn't like Mario, Zelda, JRPGs and other similarly Nintendo-styled games? :)

As for the general point of regret, I'm in no way saying people shouldn't regret it, I'm merely trying to understand why they regret it.

because i am being open minded and give all gaming platforms a chance ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i found MGS4s plotline quite interesting and a nice cap to solid snakes story.

In summary: every plothole? Nanomachines did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

gizmo wrote: »

Because the ads told me to buy it :D

I bought it thinking hey this will be a fun little console, nothing amazing like a PS3 or Xbox but I have both of them for the big epic games etc.

I liked the idea of old fashioned arcade shooting games with the light gun like Duck Hunt, Terminator 2 or operation wolf and House of the dead.

I liked the idea that games would be interactive using this new motion controller that would allow you to swing swords and shoot arrows so you would feel like you are in the game.

I got it and found you can't play shooters because you can't actually re-align the controller so they point where you aim.

I then found you couldn't swing swords and fire arrows as the controllers don't work like that.

I found that after 20+ fun little quirky games I was getting bored of them after a day or two.

So I did regret spending well over a grand on something that didn't do what it promised and left me with a console that i am am not willing to invest any more time or money into on the off chance that one of those recent games that promise so much actually turns out to be a gem and not a crock of **** like the majority of Wii games.

I know people will say that there are amazing games on it but I now prefer to buy amazing games for my new PC instead.

Mercs on the Commodore 64.

What I hoped for:

What I got:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i wanna throw sonic 4 in here even though i still enjoyed it

physics in particular cause i dont understand how bad the physics were

hell even rogue the bat boobs had better physics than sonic 4

In summary: every plothole? Nanomachines did it.

Science did it, or the patriots, or the gun toting senior citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Mortal Kombat mythologies: Sub Zero on the N64... it was not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

My biggest regret was not buying Zelda Skyward Sword when someone posted it was 19 euro in argos. Left it for a while and by the time I decided to check it out, they were sold out everywhere. It's 50 euro everywhere else.

Only other thing I can think of that I regret is buying MW3, it was just far too similar and a step done from Black ops imo. Traded it in after a few weeks when I stopped playing it altogether.

MGS4 was probably the main reason why I bought a PS3 too but I didn't regret it and I can say I enjoyed it initially, but the more I think about it, the more I realise how weak it was.

I think Retro pointed out it's biggest problem, the boss fights. For a MGS game, they were just shocking. Completely unimaginative and boring really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Homefront, MW3 Elite Edition. Ever buying a Final Fantasy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Mortal Kombat mythologies: Sub Zero on the N64... it was not good.

That one is quite rare though, and worth quite a few quid, so I believe. In in MK news, I remember seeing the MK1 Plug and Play game in a shop a few years ago. I though "Sure, I'll get it tomorrow. Who else would possibly want it?" Turns out, someone else wanted it. I returned the next day, and there were none left. I remember feeling absolutely crushed with disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

deathrider wrote: »
    That one is quite rare though, and worth quite a few quid, so I believe. In in MK news, I remember seeing the MK1 Plug and Play game in a shop a few years ago. I though "Sure, I'll get it tomorrow. Who else would possibly want it?" Turns out, someone else wanted it. I returned the next day, and there were none left. I remember feeling absolutely crushed with disappointment.

Think i still have it somewhere, might dig it out and flog it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ps3+gt5+logitech GT wheel.

fml.

the only ps3 game i have.

ps3 is used for netflix these days

Every xbox i bought. I get the inevitable 3 red lights and i start cursing myself that i gave them more money.

tok9 wrote: »
    I think Retro pointed out it's biggest problem, the boss fights. For a MGS game, they were just shocking. Completely unimaginative and boring really.

I'll grant you that the boss fights in MGS3 were head and shoulders above the ones in 4. The only two i found where i had to use my head were the ones in Act 4 in the snowfield, and act 5 in the computer room.
    Compare that with the tense sniper battle with The End, the dark hallway fight with the fury, and the last end fight with the boss.

• Advertisement

Think i still have it somewhere, might dig it out and flog it.

I believe Rage were selling the PS1 version for just under 50quid, so if your's is in good nick, you may be able to salvage a pretty penny for it.

I believe Rage were selling the PS1 version for just under 50quid, so if your's is in good nick, you may be able to salvage a pretty penny for it.

Rage overprice everything and stick 'rare' stickers on pretty common stuff. You can pick it up for about 5-10 euro on ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I'm curious as to what games on the Wii people did play before regretting their purchase?

I could certainly never regret owning a console that boasted Skyward Sword (in the past year I've sunk far more time into it and Ocarina of Time 3D than most of the other games I got combined) but I'm a bit, let's say agnostic about the purported back catalogue of under-appreciated gems on Wii.

Mario Galaxy was a great franchise, however, the motion controls added nothing, and at times actually detracted from the games; I came to loathe the underwater levels because of that damn "shake to go faster" nonsense, and the (mercifully-rare) flying sections were just dreadful (incidentally, both things SS did so much better). The most acclaimed games on the system, yet they would, IMO, have been even better played with a regular controller.

The likes of Zelda: TP, Pikmin,Resi 4, and Okami are all good games, but they're just reheated GameCube titles (two of those appeared on the PS2 aswell), while MP3 was an extension of a GC franchise. And I'd argue that the last Great Wii Hope, Xenoblade Chronicles, is merely a decent game, what with it's dull characters, literally uninvolving combat, total mess of a menu system, and endless identikit sidequests.

Apart from those, the best games I can think of off the top of my head feature more arcade-like gameplay. Nothing at all wrong with that, of course - at this stage I almost prefer arcade-style, bitesize gameplay to the more long-winded stuff (Zelda excepted). But I think it's fair to say that there are some serious limitations to the selection of titles available for it, particularly if you want to play mostly games which are more ambitious (for want of a better term), like Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, Just Cause 2, etc.

Rage overprice everything and stick 'rare' stickers on pretty common stuff. You can pick it up for about 5-10 euro on ebay.

I've been a big MK head since the original, but I'd never actually seen a copy of Subby Mythologies until I spotted it Rage a while back.

I've been a big MK head since the original, but I'd never actually seen a copy of Subby Mythologies until I spotted it Rage a while back.

You're in Ireland, hardly a hot bed of retro game shops and collecting. I've been into old games for years and can tell you it's far from rare.

I seen loads when it was released. Also just because it's rare doesn't mean it's worth anything. Ebay darling Radiant Silvergun isn't rare at all but there's a huge demand for the game that drives the price up. Same with FFVII, one of the best selling games ever but again the price is driven up by silly people thinking it's worth more than it really is.

Something like MK Mythologies might not be as common (hypothetically, it's actually quite common) but nobody wants it so it's worth nothing which would explain why there's loads of copies of it for next to nothing on ebay at the moment.

RAGE really aren't any barometer of price or rarity and I don't buy anything in there anymore since it's been a long time since they haven't had anything of worth in there that wasn't massively overpriced.

You're in Ireland, hardly a hot bed of retro game shops and collecting. I've been into old games for years and can tell you it's far from rare.

I seen loads when it was released. Also just because it's rare doesn't mean it's worth anything. Ebay darling Radiant Silvergun isn't rare at all but there's a huge demand for the game that drives the price up. Same with FFVII, one of the best selling games ever but again the price is driven up by silly people thinking it's worth more than it really is.

Something like MK Mythologies might not be as common (hypothetically, it's actually quite common) but nobody wants it so it's worth nothing which would explain why there's loads of copies of it for next to nothing on ebay at the moment.

RAGE really aren't any barometer of price or rarity and I don't buy anything in there anymore since it's been a long time since they haven't had anything of worth in there that wasn't massively overpriced.

I can understand that. Oddly though, I never saw a copy of it when it was doing the rounds back in the PS1 days either. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to buy it from Rage, but I wasn't willing to cough up 50quid for it. For some strange reason though, I don't buy games online, so I kinda have to wait until I simply find a shop with it at a reasonable price.

It is a pity there are not more retro games shops scattered around.

I can understand that. Oddly though, I never saw a copy of it when it was doing the rounds back in the PS1 days either. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to buy it from Rage, but I wasn't willing to cough up 50quid for it. For some strange reason though, I don't buy games online, so I kinda have to wait until I simply find a shop with it at a reasonable price.

It is a pity there are not more retro games shops scattered around.

PAL PS1 version is harder to find but the NTSC version is very common and if you are buying old games you should be buying NTSC anyway. There's unfortunately not much of a market for retro games shops here and the ones that are around really overprice what they have. Seems to be the same everywhere though, during a recent visit to NYC my favourite retro stores from 10 years before were all Gamestops and the ones that were around were quite overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The wii.... Even tho i bought it for my sisters Christmas gift... i still regret buying it !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Magill wrote: »
    The wii.... Even tho i bought it for my sisters Christmas gift... i still regret buying it !

I know I posted previous but I did not regret the time I had with Wii, lucky I sold it when I did for decent money, stupidly I used the cash to buy a Ps3, and that hands down is probably my worst gaming purchase...

Like others I bought it for MGS4, but all my mates and I have Xbox 360s, so there was no point in buying it for the online aspect, but the best thing that came from it was Uncharted, my fave PS3 game...

I loved all of them, so that kind of gave me reason to play it every now and again, and the 10 or so Blurays I own, and er Wipeout of course!

Looking forward to UC4....

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Never playing Shenmue even though I had a Dreamcast :(

But I'm going to buy Shenmue 2 this week :D

Advertisement