Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing specialty wood locally for smoking

Options
  • 16-09-2012 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

After living away for quite a bit i developed a taste for smoked meat so i am in the process of building myself a nice sized smoker but need to find the wood suitable for smoking so just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere that sells blocks of like apple wood, maple , oak , hickory or anything along those lines around the city or county some help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lemon_Drop

Hi Sullie86
    I don't know if your having any luck getting the timber.

I don't know anything anything about smoking meat, but some of the woods you mention are also used for wood turning.
    So maybe someone that supplies that hobby would have what your looking for.

I know this might be a stupid question, but is the wood used to add to a fire to make smoke so as to cure the meat and add the flavor on the wood to the meat?

If that's the case. If you knew someone that does wood turning a place to start. They start will a log and but they time they are finished, 2/3 of it is waste.

Best of luck anyway.
    Sorry I could not be more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I've seen hickory wood bits for use in BBQ's in B&Q or Woodies can't remember which.

Also a quick search on ebay throws up quite a few options

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=wood+chips+for+smokers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Try little hill design they are based on the Tramore road and make chopping boards from lots of different hardwoods, Ultan 086 1712960

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

There are afew lads in the area now who do mirrors and chopping boards in different types of wood, one in Butlerstown and one near Portlaw, the might be able to help you out, dont have any numbers.

Advertisement