Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband line speed halved last October? PLEASE HELP.

Options
  • 16-09-2012 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Can anyone in Eircom please help me with this? I am with UTV but it's essentially still Eircom lines and UTV have no control over that piece.

Up to October last year, I was getting 7616bps downstream and 684bps up. Some time in October this got halved. I am maxing out now at around 3Mbps, less than half what I had.

I escalated through UTV who eventually got an Eircom engineer to come out. He did his line test and everything was fine internally in my house but he verified that the line is now only capable of 3.4Mbps. He also verified that other houses in our estate have the same cap.

Why or how can Eircom do this? I still pay for a faster service but Eircom have slashed the throughput either at the switch or somewhere in between?

This is very frustrating and nobody appears to be interested in fixing it. It's been like this for almost a year now.....hardly progress?! I did write to ComReg also who said they would do what they can. Not sure where that is now.

To add insult to injury, I recently got a sales call from Eircom wanting me to switch back saying my line has been verified as being capable of 10Mb!!! If only.

Please advise. I can PM my number and address if anyone can look into it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Can anyone in Eircom please help me with this? I am with UTV but it's essentially still Eircom lines and UTV have no control over that piece.

Up to October last year, I was getting 7616bps downstream and 684bps up. Some time in October this got halved. I am maxing out now at around 3Mbps, less than half what I had.

I escalated through UTV who eventually got an Eircom engineer to come out. He did his line test and everything was fine internally in my house but he verified that the line is now only capable of 3.4Mbps. He also verified that other houses in our estate have the same cap.

Why or how can Eircom do this? I still pay for a faster service but Eircom have slashed the throughput either at the switch or somewhere in between?

This is very frustrating and nobody appears to be interested in fixing it. It's been like this for almost a year now.....hardly progress?! I did write to ComReg also who said they would do what they can. Not sure where that is now.

To add insult to injury, I recently got a sales call from Eircom wanting me to switch back saying my line has been verified as being capable of 10Mb!!! If only.

Please advise. I can PM my number and address if anyone can look into it.

Hi jellybean520,

I will of course look into this as best I can from here. I hope you understand I may be restricted in how far I can actually go since this is another providers line. If you PM me the number I'll see what we can dig up for you with regards the general speed in the area. Can maybe test some neighbouring eircom lines to give an indication.

Just to advise on speed drops in a particular area, this can be caused by many factors. For example, if any line or junction leading to the house/estate has been damaged or degraded it will reduce speed. Also, it could be any new cables installed in the duct causing interference with the ADSL signal. This is by no means a full list but I just wanted to give a couple of possible explanations to you. Send on the number and I'll hopefully be able to give some more solid info.

Regards

James

Advertisement