Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motocross on the beach an annoyance?

Options
  • 16-09-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I took the wife, kids and dog down to a small, enclosed cove near where we live today for a ramble.
    This cove is kind of off the beaten track and not too many people are aware of it, so there's hardly ever anyone around.

A few minutes after we got to the beach, two riders on motocross bikes drove down onto it and proceeded to use it as a race track, wheelies, skids, the lot, the noise was deafening.
    The kids were scared, the dog went buck fcuking mental and we had to turn around and leave.

They could see the disturbance they were causing, but didn't seem to give a sh1t.
    They were yelling to each other in a foreign language and I really didn't see the point in trying to engage them in a diplomatic debate!

The beach bye laws state that no motor vehicles drive, propel or park any motor car, or other mechanically propelled vehicle (including quads) or motor cycle on the beach, dunes or salt-marshes (other than in an area designated
    for these purposes) save with the permission in writing of the
    Council and subject to the terms and conditions of such
    permission. Drive in a threatening manner as to cause
    annoyance/ disturbance or to show disregard to other users of
    the beach, dunes or salt-marshes.

So, who to complain to, the council? the guards? the A-Team? or just stop using the "valuable recreational facilities available to residents in Fingal"

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Not much point complaining now I'd imagine. Calling the guards at the time would give them some hope of catching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

True!

Can't see it being a priority call though.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Can't see them being able to catch them either, but at least report it, or try and take photos if you see them again. Give them something to work on.

Yeah, p1ssed off that I left the phone on charge at home. Just V annoyed at their disregard for our safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Deffo call the cops & at least they will record it in the 'day book'. If you have a need to call them again about these loonies on the beach mention that they are 'a danger to public safety' or the like & you might find that they get there pretty quick.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Deffo report it. Thats completely unacceptable and dangerous. Someone could get hurt if its not stamped out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

This falls under my general guideline of "report everything". Sure, the Gardai won't catch them this time, but they won't even know it's happening unless we do.

Guards might have had a chance to act upon it, had I called it in.
    Oh no wait, we no longer have a station in Rush! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dobie

They're on the beach most days normally around 7 in the evening. Orange bike and a green one, both are driven down kilbush lane, no tax or insurance, and go full speed up the beach to Lady's Cove and spend about an hour rallying around regardless of other people on the Beach. I call the Gardai every time I see them but I've yet to see a car arrive.

Dobie wrote: »
    Orange bike and a green one

Sounds like them allright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Guards might have had a chance to act upon it, had I called it in.
    Oh no wait, we no longer have a station in Rush! :(

Agree 100% with Sulla Felix report everything. Every time this happens you need to call the incident in and if your wife has has a mobile get her to call it in also.
    Dobie wrote: »
    They're on the beach most days normally around 7 in the evening. Orange bike and a green one, both are driven down kilbush lane, no tax or insurance, and go full speed up the beach to Lady's Cove and spend about an hour rallying around regardless of other people on the Beach. I call the Gardai every time I see them but I've yet to see a car arrive.

Sounds familiar ok. Oh and the last time I saw them no helmets either.

While we now have no Garda station we as a community dont complain enough anyway about this type of carry-on or anti-social behaviour. in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Originally Posted by Dobie:
    Orange bike and a green one

That would be a ktm and a Kawasaki ... Brraaaaapppppp!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

Was driving on lusk ring road yesterday towards rush, Garda traffic corps had a checkpoint set up, checking tax etc. Anyway in the field right beside them was a kid on a dirtbike roaring up and down the field. The noise was incredible.

Anyway the Garda was more interested in peoplesy tax discs than anything else so you are probably wasting your time ringing them.

I race mx bikes myself guys.
    Live in lusk area also.
    I know a lot of the guys who go out on there bikes.
    I for one think its a good thing they have a hobby.
    A bit of noise never hurt anyone, I'm sure plenty of peeps here complaining had some fun when they were younger :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That's fair enough to burn around & enjoy yourselves on private land, but not on a public beach.

blahblah06 wrote: »
    I race mx bikes myself guys.
    Live in lusk area also.
    I know a lot of the guys who go out on there bikes.
    I for one think its a good thing they have a hobby.
    A bit of noise never hurt anyone, I'm sure plenty of peeps here complaining had some fun when they were younger :-)

No one will argue with that. But as has been said going up and down the beach where there kids is not on and its Illegal. There are plenty of lads going around fields and no one complains. It aint an anti-bike thing.

Ye the beach thing I don't agree on and would doubt Irish lads use the beach as most of us compete in all ireland championships.
    The thing is a lot of places in lusk rush skerries are bikers and have land for tracks but a lot of people complain for example the land at the roundabout at lusk village skerries road is privately owned at yet people still complain about it.

I understand what you mean, regarding driving on private property.
    But there still might be an issue of "noise pollution" for nearby residents.

That said, if they're driving on private tracks and not bothering anyone, then I have absolutely no problem with it and think that it is a great hobby to have.
    You learn responsibility, awareness and maybe some mechanical skills too (hopefully ;) )

As said already, the beach, or any other public area is not the place for it (that's not directed at you by the way)

That's the thing thought it will always bother someone wether it be on the beach or private property so I can see why some of the lads end up riding on the beach when no matter were they ride they get given out to

I understand that, but noise pollution and riding in public is still illegal!

Not having a dig at you, but as I have seen, some riders are a menace and probably give a bad rep to the responsible lads!

• Advertisement

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Ye the beach thing I don't agree on and would doubt Irish lads use the beach as most of us compete in all ireland championships.
    The thing is a lot of places in lusk rush skerries are bikers and have land for tracks but a lot of people complain for example the land at the roundabout at lusk village skerries road is privately owned at yet people still complain about it.

No matter where you do it people will complain but most dont mind. I thnk the lads who do it on the beach will just get everyone of you lads a bad name. Its a pity there is not some sort of proper track or circuit where you lads can do your thing.

LeoB wrote: »
    No matter where you do it people will complain but most dont mind. I thnk the lads who do it on the beach will just get everyone of you lads a bad name. Its a pity there is not some sort of proper track or circuit where you lads can do your thing.
    I know riding in public is illegal but I did say even wen using private land there's still people giving out

There is but they only open on Sundays and most of the gob ****es using the beach dont have a race licence or won't pay to use the track.

Advertisement