Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Internship Visa

Options
  • 16-09-2012 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here actually gone to the States on one of these, and if so, how did they go about it? Any problems or any feedback whatsoever?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I've been on a couple. The main advice for this visa I can give is to try your best to secure employment before going on the visa.If you get out here with no job and the clock is ticking, it can be difficult to get anything. I would also consider the time of year you go. At the beginning of summer, a lot of US students will be heading home so will likely be applying for summer jobs. You'll also get the mix of foreign students coming over on the summer visas. At the end of the summer, everyone will be heading to college and coming back from vacation so will also be looking for jobs. I would recommend going around November or February if possible.

Also, have a look for Irish communities in the city you want to go to. They can be helpful when looking for jobs or accommodation, or even just meeting some people and getting to know the area (it can be scary when you arrive on your own).

Advertisement