Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why did we all buy HD tvs?

• 16-09-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

Nothing is in HD!!! Given how long HD has been around I thought a few programs a week would be in HD but nope, nada. Unless you are a millionaire and can afford to have Sky HD.

For the rest of us, buying a HD tv was a complete fcuking waste of money.

Sick of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I have sky hd (am not a millionaire) and it's not worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

There's a shed load in HD!

BluRays are in HD. Most things properly streamed and downloaded from the net can be grabbed in HD! If you have a decent media centre you could theoretically watch everything in HD!

The question should be, why did YOU buy a HD tv if you didn't have Sky HD or any use for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

delad wrote: »
    Nothing is in HD!!!

Life is.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

girl2 wrote: »
    I have sky hd (am not a millionaire) and it's not worth the money.

so why don't you cancel it then?

MrStuffins wrote: »

The question should be, why did YOU buy a HD tv if you didn't have Sky HD or any use for it?

Because I assumed that tv companies would start to show more and more programs in HD. Hasn't happened though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Still no HD here and not likely to get one in the future either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

rte is in HD on saoirview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭PapaQuebec

Nothing is in HD!!! Given how long HD has been around I thought a few programs a week would be in HD but nope, nada. Unless you are a millionaire and can afford to have Sky HD.

Sick of it.

I download all my TV (naughty, but I'm rarely available to watch live) and play it back on a Media Player. I started getting the shows in HD a few months back and now wouldn't go back to SD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sick of it.

The BBC make some of the best documentaries in the world, all in HD and best of all completely free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

charlemont wrote: »
    Still no HD here and not likely to get one in the future either.

None here either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

RTE2,BBC2,ITV1.Are HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

dont know about we, but i certainly did not buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

so why don't you cancel it then?

Cos I'm tied into a contract right now an it won't be over for anothe good 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well I bought one mainly to play GTA IV since it looked terrible on a standard definition TV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

kneemos wrote: »
    RTE2,BBC2,ITV1.Are HD.

Didn't know that, must upgrade the Sky box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There is a bit of confusion over HD and this has been discussed at some length in AH and other sections of boards.ie

Short version: TV's that say they are showing HD are actually getting sometimes tv programmes what are in 720 resolution - not the full Blue-ray definition.
    Understandable then that some feel its not worth it - when in fact they are not getting sometimes the full possible resolution.

kneemos wrote: »
    RTE2,BBC2,ITV1.Are HD.

they're all sh1te

Because I assumed that tv companies would start to show more and more programs in HD. Hasn't happened though.

they do! All of the major TV stations have dedicated HD channels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why do people smoke? It's expensive and kills you. Now THATS a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Some of us have TVs for reasons other than watching TV channels

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Nothing is in HD 3D!!! Given how long HD 3D has been around I thought a few programs a week would be in HD 3D but nope, nada. Unless you are a millionaire and can afford to have Sky HD 3D.

For the rest of us, buying a HD 3D tv was a complete fcuking waste of money.

Sick of it.

fyp

they're all sh1te

So you don't want Sky in HD, and you don't want ITV, BBC or RTE in HD because they are sh1te.

Why do you have a TV at all?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    So you don't want Sky in HD, and you don't want ITV, BBC or RTE in HD because they are sh1te.

I don't want to pay the insane prices that sky charges, theres a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I expect some people are still bellyaching about betamax somewhere.

Get Freesat.

Just acquire it in a less than legal way. Go on, be a man.

While you're at it, take loadsa drugs and steal boats. All highly recommended.

Well if you knew you didn't want to pay for it and you knew ITV, RTE & BBC were "sh1te" then why did you get a HD tv?

I got mine for xbox and PS3 games. A lot of games now can be played in full 1080p.

Its only myself but watching a Blu-ray in FULL HD, for me is such a pleasure at times.

The TV stations are not taking full advantage of full HD - I think (could be wrong) some are yet not able to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Sick of it.

Well we have FTA (Free to Air) which is totally free after the initial outlay for the FTA sat box and the dish!

Currently we have RTE Two HD, BBC HD, BBC One HD, Channel 4 HD, NHK HD, and ITV1 HD - not bad for a free system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Games look absolutely terrible on SDTV. It's even worse when you try and connect a laptop. The vast majority of movies and TV shows out now are available in HD in some form or another and the difference is big enough to warrant buying the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Watch a lot of car shows from the youtube on mine, all HD (or 720p). Some lad in iffey valley selling UPC with what looked like 360p @ 25fps on all his fancy Hi-Def LED TVs. Ejitry of the highest order.

Biggins wrote: »
    Its only myself but watching a Blu-ray in FULL HD, for me is such a pleasure at times.

The TV stations are not taking full advantage of full HD - I think (could be wrong) some are yet not able to.

They wont for years, it takes up too much bandwidth and would mean they would have to remove other channels to make space, on sky via sat anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I blame Bertie Ahern, sure t'will be grand

Goose81 wrote: »
    They wont for years, it takes up too much bandwidth and would mean they would have to remove other channels to make space, on sky via sat anyway.

Cheers - I knew it was something in that line.
    Couldn't remember the details.

If its just for supposed HD TV viewing, people are just better off with cheaper HD Ready TV's which show a maximum on screen of the 720 resolution.

• Advertisement

They already can and do. RTE2 HD broadcasts in 1080i format

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT%C3%89_Two#RT.C3.89_Two_HD

Does RTE2 do it all the time?
    (I ask 'cos I really don't know. I don't watch RTE)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

mikom wrote: »
    Life is.

Not after a few scoops and durin the recovery....

Most sports and US TV series anyway. Some stuff is just upscaled to 1080 though

Outside broadcasts only, GAA, Champions league etc, nothing in HD from the studio as they're not ready yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

M cebee wrote: »
    rte is in HD on saoirview

Only RTE 2 and not all programs.

Sky also broadcast in 1080i afaik, which for all intensive purposes is the same quality as 720p to the eye, full 1080p resolution broadcasts which biggins is referring to are many years away as the average viewer will never notice the difference.

RTE also seem to use a crazy low bitrate as the quality is rubbish compared to sky hd, ITV hd and BBC hd broadcasts. Bitrate is just as important than the resolution used.

RTE also seem to use a crazy low bitrate as the quality is rubbish compared to sky hd, ITV hd and BBC hd broadcasts. Bitrate is just as important than the resolution used.

It's a much higher bitrate on satellite than on Saorview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The real question here is,has anyone tried to mount an old style telly above their fireplace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

"Full HD" 1080p is just the latest step in electronics companies taking your cash by deliberately drip-feeding new tech to the market. First it was ordinary plasmas, then hd ready, then lcd, then back to plasma, then 1080p, then led, then 3d.
    4k can already be bought for serious money-expect the mass-market versions to be released in the next 12 months. Apparently this will be indistinguishable from film so I may consider finally getting a projector then.

Sky also broadcast in 1080i afaik, which for all intensive purposes is the same quality as 720p to the eye, full 1080p resolution broadcasts are many years away as the average viewer will never notice the difference.

I'm with you there.. the bit rate on Saorview could be a lot better. On the rare few instances where bit rates have been good, I could definitely notice an improvement compared to 720 broadcasts.

To the best of my knowledge, most HD TVs sold are only capable of achieving 1080i, so it probably wouldn't be worth broadcasting progressive formats at the moment. And as you say, it's difficult to even tell the difference between the two for most part. I notice it during football games however, on 1080i teles the 'ball trail' is far more apparent than on a 1080p TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I only pirate HD media....I figure you might as well get the best quality.

But it's a shame that there isn't a better alternative.

zerks wrote: »
    The real question here is,has anyone tried to mount an old style telly above their fireplace?

Tried to mount the wife over the coffee table if that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I bought a 3d LED tv because I have all the HD channels on Sky, not a millionaire but a good TV with the HD is my treat to myself.
    There must be over 60 HD channels now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭The Idyll Race

Sick of it.

Screw $ky, get Saorview (RTE Two HD) and Freesat (BBC 1 HD and BBC HD, ITV1 HD, Channel 4 HD) and no messing. Simples.

• Advertisement
Advertisement