Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you afford savings each week/month?

• 16-09-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I find that after the bills, rent, food and car maintenance are paid, Im luck to have 50quid a month to put away savings, even when Im buying the cheapest food, only using the car when I really need it and wearing the same clothes for ages. Obviously everyone is different but do you find you have much left over to save at the end of the week or month? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I save at least €60 per week, it's taken out by standing order so I always transfer that. I usually throw another €25 or more into the savings account on top of that.

I'm a low paid worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Here's a helpful tip on saving money. Dont give to charity, let em all go to fcuk and stick your few euro in a jar for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I can afford savings at the moment but I have a niggling suspicion I'll be unemployed by christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I save everything I don't spend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yeah, about 25% goes towards savings/my next project.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Where To wrote: »
    I save everything I don't spend :)

That's what saving is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

That's what saving is.

not sure- but think that was the point..;)

yes I save about €150 per month for the famous "rainy day"

aka: holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Micko23

I cant save a penny and I've jut realised I give 120 to concern every year. Has to stop as unemployment is looming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Savings? Ooh, they're a little bit out of my price range at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

That's what saving is.
    Even when you then blow the lot on sexy beer and cold women?

Yay!! I is frugal :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I was saving 800 pm, now trying for 1200. However, I don't think I'll be able to do it for too long, due to rising energy costs, and other costs.

Thankfully, the int on my mortgage has fallen to 100 pm, so the repayments have also fallen, to about 700 pm. That helps me save.

But a tank of kero will cost me 900+ I think, so that will hit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Micko23

Geuze wrote: »
    I was saving 800 pm, now trying for 1200. However, I don't think I'll be able to do it for too long, due to rising energy costs, and other costs.

Thankfully, the int on my mortgage has fallen to 100 pm, so the repayments have also fallen, to about 700 pm. That helps me save.

Poor guy:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Geuze wrote: »

Oh woopie for you. Make a person depressed, why don't ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Just get some tips from the stingy person thread on how to save money;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭aristotle25

I used to save 3k per month in 2008/2009 but am down to saving about 1k per month at most now. Taxes, baby, uneconomical car (relatively), and just spending more mean I save less now a days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I save around 300 a month. That's short-term, though, I do find I need to have easy access to it, for things like vet bills and car repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

I save E200 per month. I earn less than 20K per year. I don't drink much which greatly facilitates saving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I don't save a penny, I'm a disaster. I only started contributing to my pension again recently though, which is costing me 320 a month. I can't afford anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I try to afford savings - but month by month, its getting much harder thanks to the increase of everything in price topped up with increased charges or new ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Nope, we basically live hand to mouth every week. I'd be lucky to be left with a tenner the day before payday.

Every time we think we're ahead, another bill pops through the door....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Considering Im working two jobs with one purely going towards childcare, not really. I try to save if i get extra hours or a bonus but every month something comes up and i end up dipping into it. Im currently trying to save for a car but I think the most its stayed at permanently is 50 euro so its gonna take some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

Myself and the girlfriend are saving for a wedding and have been for a while between the two of us we are managing to put away around 1200 per month, mind you I haven't seen the inside of a pub in a while, or the cinema or a restaraunt or anything else remotely fun

• I used to save 3k per month in 2008/2009 but am down to saving about 1k per month at most now. Taxes, baby, uneconomical car (relatively), and just spending more mean I save less now a days.

:eek: I don't earn 3k a month.

I try to save about £100 a month because that's all I can afford if I want to have any kind of a life. I could save £200-250 back in London if I worked loads of hours but never any more than that. My rent, bills, groceries and travel eat up most of my paycheck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

I'm around 900 a month on average. SO about 70% of my income. Im a very strange college student:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Nope, used to be very good at saving when I was younger, simply haven't been able to afford it the past couple of years.

I've gotten a new job recently though, slightly better paid than my old one, so will start putting a wee bit away each month.

I've no real interest in having major long-term savings, though (apart from having a couple of hundred put away for an emergency.) I amn't interested in buying property (I prefer the flexibility of renting), and if I really wanted a new car - which I won't anytime soon - I could get a loan.

I can't really imagine ever having thousands of euro in savings - I much prefer to save a bit, spend it on something nice, save a bit again. You can't take it with you, so you might as well enjoy it while you can. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i save around a 1000e a month, sometimes 800e. depending on bills and/or social life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Jaysus, this is depressing reading. I'm 32 and never mind savings, I can't even afford a pension...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Sleepy wrote: »
    Jaysus, this is depressing reading. I'm 32 and never mind savings, I can't even afford a pension...

Same as me self. I'm the most qualified I've ever been (degree) and I'm the poorest I've ever been. :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was saving about 300pm, but then i became single again so the bills doubled and mortgage had an extra 200pm added onto it. So now i'm saving leftovers for when i can't afford food before payday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

$750 NZD per fortnight after rent and mortgage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

after rent, food, drink and car costs i save about 2K a month pure profit for me to ****e about with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭trodsky

I save 600-800 a month. Missus pays Most of the bills though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I save about €40 a month by the time all the bills are paid.

I had to pay out a lot more than usual this year so I will try to start saving a bit more next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I had a large amount of savings which I put into a pension in 2006. Did the " right thing".
    Now the fund has lost over 25% of it's capital value since then & hasn't earned a penny for me. 6 years on, I'm 25+% less well off.

Of course the government isn't bailing my losses or future out ; after all, I'm just a taxpayer trying to save for my future.

And with all the new taxes; increased rates due, tax on home, tax on water, increased tax on car etc. It's hard to see how I will ever be able to save for a pension/my oldage/a future.

But hey; 50% of what I earn and work for goes to prop up a medieval beuraceacy that delivers little & is responsible or accountable for nothing.

While I struggle to pay my debts, & " do the right thing".

Of course no-one "in" or "working " for govt will ever highlight this as a critical issue that needs to be supported or prioritised because they essentially don't put any bar a token contribution into their " for a lifetime, government guaranteed, index linked,pensions".- which I pay for through my taxes; while I cannot afford my own.

Fair eh?
    Sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Saving is a thing of the past for me. I'm living off next week's money already. September is the worst month with the kids' school steadily sucking on my dry boobs - I used to think Santa was a gouger but this free education is a killer. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Only just recently started to save 200 a month, I recently finished paying back a loan so some cash freed up, for years though I couldn't even afford to pay attention :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm putting €200 a month into savings, the same into pension. Have a few grand in the bank which is going on a car I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

At the moment no, as my boyfriend is out of work so I barely have enough for us both :( I can't afford a bloody pension, never mind actually save anything...

Have savings and pension all right yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Firegaurd wrote: »
    Myself and the girlfriend are saving for a wedding and have been for a while between the two of us we are managing to put away around 1200 per month, mind you I haven't seen the inside of a pub in a while, or the cinema or a restaraunt or anything else remotely fun

Good practice for when you're married!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

A lot of well to do posters here. I never have any savings and at the end of the month when all my bills go out will not have enough to get a weeks shopping. Thank God for Pasta or I'd starve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Up until recently I was saving about €200-300 per month but moved apartment and the the rent is higher so can only manage about €150 now if I'm good.

Try to keep a minimum balance of €1000 for savings used for emergencies and holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Before I got married and bought a house, I was putting away €400 a month and I still had a stupid amount of money left over to play with.
    Now I can manage to hold back €500 the odd month where I don't have any insurance, repairs or other **** to do, but it'll slowly get eaten away over the following months as big one-off costs come in.
    The only reason I have a pension is because my work require all employees to have one at 30. It takes €90/month out of my salary and I begrudge every euro of it.

I kind of make a point of avoiding having big sums on my credit card, so when I see how little I have in my current account at times, I take solace in seeing a big fat zero beside my CC balance. I know people who have nothing in the current account and a massive number on the CC, and that would stress the crap out of me.

Doing pretty good recently. I invested a lot of money in becoming somewhat self sufficient. Growing my own herbs and veg, keeping hens for eggs and the like. I have also learned to cook much better than I did 5 years ago and save a lot of money on that over prepared meals and processed foods and the like.

Low power versions of everything in my house coupled with some serious insulation has kept energy bills down. The girlfriends are bringing in a better income than they were when one was in college and the other on maternity. I was supporting them both for awhile there.

So all in all investments have paid off and expenses much lower for us now than they were so savings are doing well. That coupled with the fact I have no vices except for throwing a once monthly extreme house party bash means I do not spend much on beer and the like - and we do not own a tele or DVD player etc - means most of my money is my own to keep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Reading some of these posts is telling me to restructure (i.e. start) my savings plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

The girlfriends are bringing in a better income than they were when one was in college and the other on maternity. .
    Woah rewind there, say what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Right now my goal is to save at least €1600 per month. In my old job I was lucky to save €400-500. I am very frugal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I generally try to save around 25% of my wages but it depends on how much work I've had that month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Saving is a thing of the past for me. I'm living off next week's money already. September is the worst month with the kids' school steadily sucking on my dry boobs - I used to think Santa was a gouger but this free education is a killer. :(

Sorry, don't mean to sound flippant about your situation, but this made me laugh out loud. :D Just the turn of phrase. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭enricoh

doh! i knew i was forgetting something - a pension! fat chance.
    was watching a program recently where they track down long lost relatives in wills n give em a hape of cash so maybe that'll come off!

• Advertisement
Advertisement