Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you afford savings each week/month?

2»

Comments

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Woah rewind there, say what?

I was covering their expenses for awhile while they were at college and maternity. The former is a law student and has just this year started into a thesis and all that. Thankfully now that includes also lecturing which pays some so she is finally making some decent dosh. Better than working behind the counter at Esso anyway.

The latter is freelance but worked died off when we started to work on being parents and had our daughter. Now that she is old enough to be minded by grand parents and creches and the like mommy has been doing more and more projects and taking in the money.

Three incomes are better than one and I certainly have felt a bit of pressure lift now they are earning their own again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

At the moment I'm trying to live as frugally as possible and will save what I can at the end of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

crusher000 wrote: »
    A lot of well to do posters here. I never have any savings and at the end of the month when all my bills go out will not have enough to get a weeks shopping. Thank God for Pasta or I'd starve.

Yeah, I mean, I earn pittance. The only way I can afford to put by E200 a month is because I don't drive, don't smoke,don't drink much, have no dependents, and have low rent. If I had any of these, I'd be screwed. Some of the savings on this thread have me doing this
    > :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Will need to have a look at how much I'm saving but not much - maybe €150ish. Congrats to those on here who can do, especially those who make the required sacrifices which most of us aren't prepared to forsake.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Woah rewind there, say what?

Oh yes, this poster brings up his two girlfriends A LOT. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Afford savings? I'm eating into them now. Stupid food costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Save about 400 a month, plus another 200 goes into a holiday fund which covers, well, holidays. Spent most of my twenties spending everything I got, but decided a couple of years ago to change habits and clear my debts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I save every week. The amount varies from week to week because as a full-time student, I often have an expense one week that I won't the next, for example needing to buy a book or two or whatever.

I always have a few hundred for emergencies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Quorum wrote: »

Well you would wouldn't you? I know I would anyway :p

But actually doing a quick look over his post history it is not AS often as you might think. And even then it is often just a side mention in an other wise good point or good post.

Maybe you just notice it a lot :P

Back on topic however I was saving quite well until recently. Now I am noticing that despite having a good saving built up... for the last 8 months I have ended each month with exactly the same amount as the month before. So for whatever reason I am now not saving at all in other words. I have not yet worked out why this might be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm fucking minted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Spent most of my twenties spending everything I got, but decided a couple of years ago to change habits and clear my debts.

QFT. It kills me to think how much I spent in my first few years of work after years of being broke in college. Finally copped on about two years ago and opened a savings account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I don't save money as such, just tend to have money left over at the end of each month.

Unless I've been away. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Spent most of my twenties spending everything I got, but decided a couple of years ago to change habits and clear my debts.
    Exact same, but I managed to run up a fairly spectacular level of personal debt during my early twenties and it took a couple of years longer than it should have to adjust to living on my salary when I was supporting my fiancée and our kids.

I'm at the "paying back the debt" phase of getting my finances sorted. Managing to throw about €550 a month against my debts and hope to increase that next year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I save a fair amount every month and have done so for over 10 years. While not exactly rich (not a millionaire etc.) I do have enough now to fit the description of A Man With Savings. This means that I have a certain amount of financial independence and don't have to lick the arse of my bank manager, boss etc.

I am in my thirties so probably older than most here. I don't have any children. I realise that it would be much harder to save if I had children and/or a big mortgage or if I was a student or just starting off in my career on low pay.

However I also don't drink or smoke - these are big factors in many people's inability to save. It's not much of an exaggeration to say that drinking makes people both stupid and poor. I notice a lot of immature posts on here about being drunk, getting drunk, being hungover etc.. Some will grow out of this when they reach 30, 35, 40, some never really grow out of it and will continue to hand their money over to wealthy publicans and niteclub owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Not sure exactly how much but a bit!

• Advertisement

Quorum wrote: »
    Well you would wouldn't you? I know I would anyway :p

But actually doing a quick look over his post history it is not AS often as you might think. And even then it is often just a side mention in an other wise good point or good post.

Maybe you just notice it a lot :P

Back on topic however I was saving quite well until recently. Now I am noticing that despite having a good saving built up... for the last 8 months I have ended each month with exactly the same amount as the month before. So for whatever reason I am now not saving at all in other words. I have not yet worked out why this might be.

Yeah i used to be the same, it's really just "you notice it a lot" since it's not so run of the mill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I was covering their expenses for awhile while they were at college and maternity. The former is a law student and has just this year started into a thesis and all that. Thankfully now that includes also lecturing which pays some so she is finally making some decent dosh. Better than working behind the counter at Esso anyway.

The latter is freelance but worked died off when we started to work on being parents and had our daughter. Now that she is old enough to be minded by grand parents and creches and the like mommy has been doing more and more projects and taking in the money.

Three incomes are better than one and I certainly have felt a bit of pressure lift now they are earning their own again.

I think we're looking more for details on why you have two girlfriends rather than the details on their income.

I think we're looking more for details on why you have two girlfriends rather than the details on their income.

Mormon? Charlie Sheen? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Put away 300 euro a month which goes towards holidays, big purchases and what not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

I started saving €15 a week with the CU over a year ago and add €25 a month to that when I get paid, I work in retail, 8 hours a week, its the first thing I do when I get paid, just pretend you haven't got it. If I hadn't started savings I definitely wouldn't have the amount I have now, it just goes! No matter how small the amount, it all adds up over time, you will wonder why you didn't this time next year! and the cu is great, go in with a fiver and they wouldn't bat an eyelid, go to a bank with less than €250 a month and you might as well not bother at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

loadsamoney2.jpg lots of Loadsamoneys on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

While I do save, I am not sure where I am saving it is the best place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I usually save my dole and live off my wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

You ask me this, while standing on my crystal paved driveway? Get the hell off my property before I get my gun :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I save €20 a week. I know it's gonna be blown on a hen party next month and it's killing me, I really needed it for other more important things. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 plumbball

150 a week. Not a lot really, I would like to be in a position to be able to save 250 a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Zilch!!! I'm a PS worker in London. Rent, council tax, uni loans and travel to work etc mean there ain't much left to spend each month.

There is no particular reason why. It just sort of evolved that way and has been that way for 7 or so years now in all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

There is no particular reason why. It just sort of evolved that way and has been that way for 7 or so years now in all.

fair play, double the pleasure, and 5 days in every month, double the hell. (i'm sure they've synced up by now)

fair play, double the pleasure, and 5 days in every month, double the hell. (i'm sure they've synced up by now)

It has never seemed to be an issue. Guess some people find it worse than others. Odd topic for a thread on finances though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

plumbball wrote: »
    150 a week. Not a lot really, I would like to be in a position to be able to save 250 a week.

Wouldn't we all

• Registered Users Posts: 12 danny8

I get Paid monthly & all my bills come out around the same time i try & save €300-500 a month but some months it doesn't happen.

Anyone that has a direct debt with a charity needs their head checked. If you have a few euros left after all bills etc then by all means put some money in the poor box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Savings? I'm living on beans as it is! My parents were great for making us save money when we were kids; half the confirmation money, birthday money etc always went to the bank, and my dad would do a clear out of the piggy banks every few months. So I somehow ended up with 3,000 saved by the time I left school. It got used up on my year studying abroad and my Masters though, I doubt I've even 200 left in that account, but hey it helped me through my education, what more could you want?
    I get bursts of savings from the short periods that I've worked that get me through the following costs - during summers that I worked through college I usually managed to save a bit, but that'd go to college costs then in the September. Currently doing an unpaid internship and surviving on what little comes and goes through my account. Hope to have some kind of money coming in from January however. I plan to save about 20% of my income when I get to that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I started saving €15 a week with the CU over a year ago and add €25 a month to that when I get paid, I work in retail, 8 hours a week, its the first thing I do when I get paid, just pretend you haven't got it. If I hadn't started savings I definitely wouldn't have the amount I have now, it just goes! No matter how small the amount, it all adds up over time, you will wonder why you didn't this time next year!

I do the same, my work lets us put aside x amount from our wages each week before it hits our account. It's not earning interest ofc, but if you never had it to begin with, you don't miss it. Then when we need it, we can take it all in one go, and it's already been taxed so we don't lose a big chunk of it to PRSI.

I'm a student so I can only work weekends (work is at home, college is in Dublin so I can't do weekdays). I make around 120 a week, 25 of which goes straight into savings. This time next year I'll be paying my college fees with those savings, supplemented with what I earn next summer. My parents help me with rent though, there's no chance I'd be able to afford it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I try and save at least €500 a month. Used to be twice that but since the downturn I've had to take a pay cut.

Yes - I have a decent salary, don't have children, don't have a car and don't have a mortgage.

I am facing redundancy with a statutory only payout though so I will eat into some of that at some point and mightn't be able to sustain the rate I save at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I try so hard to save. I am actually good with money. But I work anywhere from 2 days up so it is hard to know what I will be earning. Also I have rent and a loan to pay back.

Slowly I am saving though. Mainly because my OH gets paid monthly so I loan him money every month. I treat that as my savings when I finally get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Those of you who save quite large amounts per month, do you dip into them during the year for planned things e.g. holidays / Christmas shopping / birthdays? are you saving for something specific like a new car or house deposit or is it simply saving for a rainy day / the financial freedom of having savings in the bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

shalalala wrote: »
    Slowly I am saving though. Mainly because my OH gets paid monthly so I loan him money every month. I treat that as my savings when I finally get it back.

Your OH needs to control his spending better. Being paid monthly isn't exactly a huge challenge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement