Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish vs UK tayto taste

Options
  • 16-09-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Im about to order some taytos and club orange for my brother in thailand but the place Im ordering from is in the UK so I just wanted to make sure that they taste the same. Anyone have any input on this. The packaging is different but is that the only difference?

cheese-and-onion_lrg.jpg

vs

3027605-Tayto_Dublin.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I think it's a fairly different taste. I prefer the UK ones but thats just me :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Look at his name and he's posting pictures.

Look at your your name and you're posting opinions.

Ah lads ye're fecken gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

There is a big difference.
    Tayto Northern Ireland are a completely different company than Tayto in the Republic.
    I've tasted the Northern Ireland ones; personally I prefer our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

North and south Tayto ate completely different. If he is used to the red and blue bag then I'd get them for him.

I much prefer the south tayto, with the exception of the NI spring onion flavour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blindasfcuk

Richard wrote: »

Cheers for that after all my searching to find them for sale online i never thought to check a feckin tayto website!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Cheers for that after all my searching to find them for sale online i never thought to check a feckin tayto website!

That's fine - maybe you take after your username! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blindasfcuk

I wouldnt have choosen it if I didnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Different as said, they are trademarked in each country, interestingly because of this you can not order Irish taytos to the UK (from their site anyway), but you probably can have them sent to Thailand.

There is similar trademark trouble with batchelors/mcdonnells supernoodles, they are made be a UK company called batchelors, which is not the same as the Irish baked bean people. So they have to be sold under mcdonnells here.

Some user here is a shopkeeper and bought boxes cheap in the UK and got letters from batchelors (beans) telling him he had to stop selling them.

And bulmers is registered in the UK, so thats why Irish bulmers is called magners abroad.

if somebody was on the ball they might have trademarked stuff here years ago, of stuff not sold here yet, in the hope they would get paid off, like making Irish Oreo bars or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 barrybollock

I emailed Tayto the other day to try and get a box sent over to London but no joy, anyone know of any UK distributors? I know they're sold on ebay but there's a bit of an hefty markup on them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement