Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a second dog?

• 16-09-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Howaye? Im thinking of getting a second dog, which I know alot of you will agree with to keep my own dog company when im not there. Im starting a masters at the end of this month so will be putting in alot of hours in classes, as well as part time work at the weekends.

At the moment im living in a big house, with a very very generous garden! Perfect for my dog as shes indoors/outdoors all the time, when im not here the conservatory door is wide open for her.

My questions are though, she seems to get on much better with male dogs, because shes a hooligan when shes playing I think. She pisses off my friends dog until he chases her (playing of course), will pin him to the ground ( a 38kg retriever, her being an 18 kg boxer/staff X) and generally rough play to no end. She even finds craic in running and jumping straight into the chest of an italian mastiff we see sometimes.

So im looking for a male dog who will be as enthusiastic to playu rough as her. Im keeping my eye on the Cork DAWG and Mallow animal rescue facebook pages and seeing a couple bull breeds or staffs im interested in! How do i guage if a foster or rescue dog is gonna be a good match for her, when i first got her she was very shy and timid, i dont want to inflict her on a forever shy dog with her driving him mad non stop!

Im assuming someone has experience of this, any help would be appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

You've described your current dog down to a tee. A lovable, playful but boisterous female who you've clearly put a lot of time and energy into getting to know.

While i understand that you might think getting a second dog is the perfect solution, major red flags went up when you stated this:
    Im starting a masters at the end of this month so will be putting in alot of hours in classes, as well as part time work at the weekends.

You may think that introducing a second dog to your life is the answer but do you not think this dog also deserves the time and effort that you put into your current one? This shouldnt be a "fixer" dog, one that makes up for the fact that you're going to be absent for a HUGE amount of time.
    wrote:
    At the moment im living in a big house, with a very very generous garden!
    This is all very well and good, but will either or both dogs get access when you're not there?

IMHO, while i understand your intentions i would focus your time in getting your current dog adequately minded for the time you're not there and not use a second dog as a substitute entertainer. Sorry for being harsh, but you're expecting both dogs to just create a great relationship together (that may or may not happen) while you're absent for massive chunks of the week.

I would concentrate my time on making your current dog your priority (scheduling early walks, doggy daycare, walkers etc) with the time limits you have and introducing a second one when you have the time to commit to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Blondes have more fun

I agree with Annie, a lot of new expense with another dog. Why don't u use walker or doggie day care? Don't no wher u r but one in sandy ford is good and very good one in Bray, Yuppie Puppie. Think about 15 euros a day. I use one, only needed twice week as they r very Very tired at the end of day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you do go for a second dog, why not foster a one to judge compatability.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Briskit

I would agree with almost eveything posted here previously...

Two dogs is a handful... emotionally, physically and time wise... it's absolutely gas as well for companionship and entertainment.

In this shitty Irish climate that we're used to... they force you to get out and about everyday.. so I like that... but it can be costly and awkward to get them minded if you go away, compared to just one.

If you were set on it, I think the fostering idea mentioned above is a good idea... as "Doggy Dynamics" vary hugely, and you're sprightly girl would probably be too much for a lot of dogs... the fostering will give u a good tast of what's to come, plus a chance to establish compatibilty.

I love my two dogs to bits... but I have to say, they'd wear you out sometimes... our family shares dogs at different times, and we cover for each other on hols etc... I would recommend this if you want to have a few animals, as it lowers costs and keeps the dogs from being traumatised when you're away, if they're at home or somewhere familiar with familiar folks.

Good luck with your decision.

Briskit.

Advertisement