Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Channel 4 - 26/09/12 | Drugs Live : The Ecstasy Trial!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

Sorry I'm lost in thought at the moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

This is gurn-a be good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Possible TV gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Funny if they make one of them eat a Snickers when they're flying out of their heads!!

Jumbo Jaw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Nutt#Government_positions

"As ACMD chairman Nutt repeatedly clashed with government ministers over issues of drug harm and classification.

In January 2009 he published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology an editorial ('Equasy – An overlooked addiction with implications for the current debate on drug harms') in which
    the risks associated with horse riding
    (1 serious adverse event every ~350 exposures)
    were compared to those of taking ecstasy
    (1 serious adverse event every ~10,000 exposures).

In February 2009 he was criticised by Home Secretary Jacqui Smith for stating in the paper that the drug ecstasy was statistically no more dangerous than an addiction to horse-riding.

Nutt was dismissed from his ACMD position by the Home Secretary, Alan Johnson.

Explaining his sacking of Nutt, Alan Johnson wrote in a letter to The Guardian, that
    "He was asked to go because he cannot be both a government adviser and a campaigner against government policy.

As for his comments about horse riding being more dangerous than ecstasy, which you quote with such reverence, it is of course a political rather than a scientific point.

Responding in The Times, Professor Nutt said:

"I gave a lecture on the assessment of drug harms and how these relate to the legislation controlling drugs.
    According to Alan Johnson, the Home Secretary, some contents of this lecture meant I had crossed the line from science to policy and so he sacked me.

I do not know which comments were beyond the line or, indeed, where the line was [...]"
    "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Nutt#Government_positions

"As ACMD chairman Nutt repeatedly clashed with government ministers over issues of drug harm and classification.

In January 2009 he published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology an editorial ('Equasy – An overlooked addiction with implications for the current debate on drug harms') in which
    the risks associated with horse riding
    (1 serious adverse event every ~350 exposures)
    were compared to those of taking ecstasy
    (1 serious adverse event every ~10,000 exposures).

In February 2009 he was criticised by Home Secretary Jacqui Smith for stating in the paper that the drug ecstasy was statistically no more dangerous than an addiction to horse-riding.

Nutt was dismissed from his ACMD position by the Home Secretary, Alan Johnson.

Explaining his sacking of Nutt, Alan Johnson wrote in a letter to The Guardian, that
    "He was asked to go because he cannot be both a government adviser and a campaigner against government policy.

As for his comments about horse riding being more dangerous than ecstasy, which you quote with such reverence, it is of course a political rather than a scientific point.

Responding in The Times, Professor Nutt said:

"I gave a lecture on the assessment of drug harms and how these relate to the legislation controlling drugs.
    According to Alan Johnson, the Home Secretary, some contents of this lecture meant I had crossed the line from science to policy and so he sacked me.

I do not know which comments were beyond the line or, indeed, where the line was [...]"
    "

Try one of the cubicles in the Commons' Gents' toilet.

He can't be an advisor and disagree with those he's advising? I'm surely misunderstanding something. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Is this one of those programmes where they want 'you, the television audience to join in'?

Imagine the host phoning homes around the country and everyone out o their tree.

Prefaced by the warning: And as usual ch4 doesn't condone drug use.... but if you want to join in knock yourself out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

He can't be an advisor and disagree with those he's advising? I'm surely misunderstanding something. :pac:

well, that's the point, they didn't like his advice so they sacked him.

it was still the best advice the government could get by government standards of education, but that's not really important is it!

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Enough mongs on tv as it is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Theres going to be loads of people who think they know more about drugs then everyone else after watching this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Looking a people high as kites on MDMA is very... unsettling.

Will be interesting to watch though, bunch of people chewing the mouths of themselves, dancing like mad and cuddling each other haha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Who needs C4 for this stuff when you have AH?....sure 74% of all posters are off their noggin on one substance or another!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

longshanks wrote: »
    Is this one of those programmes where they want 'you, the television audience to join in'?

Imagine the host phoning homes around the country and everyone out o their tree.

Prefaced by the warning: And as usual ch4 doesn't condone drug use.... but if you want to join in knock yourself out

I dunno how many homes they'd ring I'd be very surprised if the first caller didn't stay on the line for the night.

Holsten wrote: »
    Looking a people high as kites on MDMA is very... unsettling.

Will be interesting to watch though, bunch of people chewing the mouths of themselves, dancing like mad and cuddling each other haha.

and giving each other massages.. like some sort of sleazy hippies I had a pal who'd just melt into his armchair n mong, every few minutes he'd snap out of it n try pull himself together, in the bathroom and maybe button his pants and tie his belt while at it

used to get freaked out he was watching me.. can E make a gay of a man, I wondered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

longshanks wrote: »

#tags would have a whole new meaning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

"ground-breaking scientific study"

Not exactly. I see this experiment carried out every saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Blisterman wrote: »
    "ground-breaking scientific study"

Actually this could very well be the start of something amazing. If you take all the crap out of ecstasy, like the rat poison, ketamine, etc etc and reduce it to its purest form of MDMA I think there are definitely benefits to be had. They should have been studying it a very long time ago.

I saw a documentary a few years back about a lad in the UK with parkinson's disease, on a bad day he couldn't even boil a kettle. He went to the reading festival one year and took an E and noticed his symptoms were subsiding. The documentary showed him one normal day not even able to walk, he popped a pill and 1 hour later he was in a gym doing somersaults!. So he manage to control Parkinson's but he had to
    take 1-2 Es per day. Very interesting though.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3015-ecstasy-has-dramatic-effect-on-parkinsons-symptoms.html

If the study and use of MDMA will improve the quality of some peoples lives like above, I am all for it.

Excellent. I hope they get them to perform certain tasks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yyeeeeeeewwww

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

This is groundbreaking TV at it's finest.

Well, it would be if it was 1980.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Hope to see lots of top quality gurning like this...................

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

Should be interesting. Does anybody remember when they did the live autopsy/postmortem on channel 4? That was pretty hardcore - I entered the living room and that creepy Gunther von Hagens guy had a testicle in his hand. I quickly left the living room again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

And thus, hip people will use this as some sort of scientific vindication to double drop a shìte batch.

Hopefully, comedy ensues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A camera crew in your face is just what you want when you are coming down:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Hope to see lots of top quality gurning like this...................

Jeezus, that's horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I have to say, when I first heard about this I was very skeptical that it would be a "groundbreaking scientific study"

However, the telegraph has a (surprisingly) informative article on it from earlier in the Summer
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9409147/Channel-4-to-screen-volunteers-taking-the-drug-Ecstasy.html

I'm really surprised that this sort of technology has never been used to observe the effects of MDMA on the brain before. Hopefully it will lead to a more logical and less emotional consideration of society's relationship with psychoactive substances, which I think is surely an inevitability anyway. This sort of research might even lead to a more adult reconsideration of exisiting legislation by policymakers, who knows.

Well done to C4 for going ahead with this.

Every possibility that one of the rats will freak out on the comedown - disturbing tv awaits ...... I have to watch this though.

wonder will they have pumping music on to keep the takers happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Is it an urban myth or is it true that pharmacists in Ireland used to prescribe MDMA to be people a few decades ago? My friend's mother is a pharmacist and said that it was actually fairly common through the 60s and 70s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Is it an urban myth or is it true that pharmacists in Ireland used to prescribe MDMA to be people a few decades ago? My friend's mother is a pharmacist and said that it was actually fairly common through the 60s and 70s

not sure about in ireland but it was a medication used to treat depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Real Life wrote: »
    not sure about in ireland but it was a medication used to treat depression.

It was used as an adjunct to psychotherapy in the US in the 60s and 70s.
    It was groundbreaking in that therapists could achieve with the patient in one sitting what would normally take 6 months of building trust, removing inhibitions etc.

The DEA had a knee-jerk reaction in 85 when they noticed people were using it for all night parties in Dallas Texas. The rest of the world under pressure followed suit.

Since then the MAPS organisation (Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies ) has been running clinical trials with the aim of reinstating MDMA as a prescription medicine for treating PTSD and other mental illness.

They are making much progress and have passed phase 2 clinical trials.
    It is highly likely that MDMA in the US will be legal for medical purposes within 5 years, definitely within 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

If something goes wrong it will be shown on 4 OD du dum tish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If there's no TUUUUNNNNEEEESSSS!!!!! then it's not scientific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Very surprised this is not on E4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

This is groundbreaking TV at it's finest.

Well, it would be if it was 1980.

Try 1950.

It's been done with LSD numerous times.

• Advertisement

Try 1950.

It's been done with LSD numerous times.

LSD would make better television

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I haven't been to a scientific study in ages.

Shryke wrote: »
    I haven't been to a scientific study in ages.

Scientific studies were better about 10 years ago though. Studies nowadays don't last as long, don't have the same effect and just aren't as fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Scientific studies were better about 10 years ago though. Studies nowadays don't last as long, don't have the same effect and just aren't as fun.

If you try hard enough you will find them, you can be lucky to come across them but they are more expensive to take part in. but well worth it in my opinion.

Real Life wrote: »
    If you try hard enough you will find them, you can be lucky to come across them but they are more expensive to take part in. but well worth it in my opinion.

Personally I feel I'm a bit old for scientific studies these days. I prefer a quicker non-scientific survey that doesn't take up as much of my time.

On special occasions I have been persuaded to take part in an impromptu study but it certainly isn't something I'd plan in advance.

• Advertisement

This is tonight. I'm expecting big things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Might watch it myself....

Better be what Im expecting..! If i dont see someone chewing the jaw off themselves im switching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I hope someone completely looses the plot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I hope someone completely looses the plot

I bet it will be really boring now :(

Bit a thumping music & a whistle should be provided

This on tonight?!! :D

chances are it's only gonna resemble a sanatogen ad or something. I want the true dangers of potential gayness revealed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

what it wont show is the nightmares involved with a comedown....Ibiza last week....phil mitchell pushed me out my bedroom window last night! howd that prick get in!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

df1985 wrote: »
    what it wont show is the nightmares involved with a comedown....Ibiza last week....phil mitchell pushed me out my bedroom window last night! howd that prick get in!?

Comedowns are for people who have no clue what they are doing tbh. Easily avoidable.

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Bit a thumping music & a whistle should be provided

Chewing gum and smokes also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement