Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ps4 or Xbox 720

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    720 at least that backwards compatibility for previous consoles xbox 360 and xbox games discs

while ps4 isnt backwards compatibility for previous consoles ps3, PS2 and ps1 games discs

Sony Clarifies that their PS4 wont be backwards compatibles ps3, ps2 and ps1.

News: PlayStation 4 Not Backwards Compatible With Retail or Digital Games.

that means you own ps3 or ps2 or ps1 games they wont work on ps4,

going have pay them again to work on ps4 and download them virtual to work on ps4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80i_6UnnsRg

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4010604/PS4-will-not-support-PS3-games

what i mean only ps4 games and bluray dvd or dvd or cd play only work ps4, if want play other playstations games going pay for them and download digital to work on ps4

Indeed, this is bad news. The first thing I plan on doing with my new super powerful PS4 is of course try to play a 20 year old PS1 game. The fact I won't be able to do this is shocking and very short sighted on Sony's part......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Grayson wrote: »
    Source? I hadn't heard anything about this and I can't find it with a quick google either.

Just read some articles were developers were saying they doubted either ps4 or xbox 720 would be, they were right about the ps4.

We'll know for definite pretty soon if it is or not when microsoft unveil the new xbox in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

On topic now, will wait for the prices to drop to what they are now for the ps3/xbox and as soon as both can prove their reliability.Have had 2 xboxs and 1 ps3 die on me and my second ps3 is acting the maggot on me now

i hope drop soon before 2 yrs later, because in 2yrs time the shops wont accept ps3 games as trade in offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

ilovesleep wrote: »

It was mentioned here in this thread that the ps3 is due for release later this year but I doubt we will get to see the new one before xmas and they'll push it in 2014, more than likely. Plenty of time.

Japan will get their PS4's for Christmas, us europeans will have to wait until March 2014.

While I think we will all be in a better position to judge which horse to back after E3 in June, my money is on PS4 for the big win! (unless microsoft really pull something special out of the bag)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

More than likely the Xbox 720 because of the backwards compatibility but it depends on the price tbh..

i f that case no way ps4 will it goal buy end the sony clam to 16 million, noway sony sell 16 million buy of end 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

i f that case no way ps4 will it goal buy end the sony clam to 16 million, noway sony sell 16 million buy of end 2013

I really don't mean any offence but, what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

ilovesleep wrote: »
    That's strange. My ps3 is 6 years+ old and never gave any trouble and is still going good.
    wouldnt mind they arent moved around or carted from house to house or anything.

EDIT: and its not THAT strange the xbox and PS forums have megathreads on RROD/red light :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

:confused:

:eek:

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Japan will get their PS4's for Christmas, us europeans will have to wait until March 2014.

While I think we will all be in a better position to judge which horse to back after E3 in June, my money is on PS4 for the big win! (unless microsoft really pull something special out of the bag)

According to Kotaku apparently for the first time ever that the UK may get it first, be interesting to see is that the case - the Japanese would not be happy....

ok news report sony said they reckon by end of 2013 they have sold 16 million ps4 consoles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

scwazrh wrote: »
    With the ps4 coming out this year why are Sony releasing such massive titles such as last of us and gta5 on ps3?if they released them on Ps4 surely more people would run out and buy it but with the games coming to ps3 there's no need to buy the new console for a while.It doesn't make sense to me ...
    They have to. It would be very bad for consumer good will to just abandon the PS3. Think back to the original xbox, and when the 360 came out. There was a lot of people either
    A) Annoyed the xbox was being abandoned.
    B) Sony fans using it as ammunition in the console wars.
    1ZRed wrote: »
    Xbox has no games and why the fuk would anyone pay €50 just to play online on the game you already own? PS4 is the way to go
    Nice trolling.
    I also read somewhere that the next Xbox will have to be connected to the internet at all times in order to work and play your games. You're also going to have to install all your games on the HDD, knowing Microsoft they'll charge through the roof for that special hard drive.

With everything I've heard the next Xbox is a weaker and unappealing console compared to the PS4.
    "The thing with quotes on the internet is you can never tell if they are authentic" - Thomas Jefferson.

Or...

Don't believe everything you read on the net. Did you know that rumour was going around about Sony with the PS4 before it started doing the rounds about MS with the 720? Well, it did, and it all started from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Il go with xbox unless my mates switch go ps4, i have always been ps1,2 and 3 but made the move to xbox last year and im happy with my choice.

Hopefully its good, im still looking forward to seeing more about the ps4 too.

I need a PS4. Because Black ops 2 keeps hanging on my PS3 and there isn't enough space to have the playstation, the xbox, and wii plugged in at the same time. The wii U has to go in my bedroom.

I wish that even one bit of this was a lie :o

Il go with xbox unless my mates switch go ps4, i have always been ps1,2 and 3 but made the move to xbox last year and im happy with my choice.

Hopefully its good, im still looking forward to seeing more about the ps4 too.
    We haven't seen anything on the nextbox yet. E3 will be interesting. I think the PS4 is making some good moves from what we've seen. I like the look of Watch Dogs, though that'll be available on current gen systems too, and The Witness. that will probably end up being a timed exclusive, though, so yeah, no killer apps for the PS4 yet. Though we don't even know what games the nextbox will have yet. If we don't see the nextbox in April, it'll be at E3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

I'm really looking forward to seeing the next gen offerings. However I've such a lot of games I've yet to get through on my 360 that I probably won't need either for about another 2 years.

Skyrim is the game of this gen for me and in my top list if all time, I've a cult like obsession with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

well if the xbox keeps going down the road its on now i wont buy one, i think microsoft have realized that spending money on facebook, netflix, movies and apps actually makes them more money than games do so thats where their putting their money, and well i have a pc for all that **** anyway, only reason id buy a "games" console is for (shocker) the games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Nice trolling.
    Gears of war and halo. I fail to see how that's trolling when that's all that comes out for it.
    "The thing with quotes on the internet is you can never tell if they are authentic" - Thomas Jefferson.

Or...

Don't believe everything you read on the net. Did you know that rumour was going around about Sony with the PS4 before it started doing the rounds about MS with the 720? Well, it did, and it all started from this.

There's no smoke without fire but I get your point. Everyone should wait to see what they next xbox will be like but all they seem to focus on is the odd game and that camera thing.

I'm only a "play for half an hour every once in a while" gamer and I like to play a variety of good games when I decide to, not just shooters. Sony has that and won't charge for your online, they've said they wouldn't. That's why I'm leaning on PS4 - whenever I might get one.

Gears of war and halo. I fail to see how that's trolling when that's all that comes out for it.
    Game lists tend to be fairly pointless affairs, but I've never been one to let something being pointless stop me from doing something.

For the sake of this discussion, I'll be talking console exclusives, and what is valuable to me. The reason game lists aren't great is any list I provide can be refuted with a simple "I'm not interested in them". These difficulties aside...

Metro 2033
    Alan Wake
    Tales of Vesperia
    Lost Odyssey
    Blue Dragon (I haven't quite got in to this one to be honest, but I plan on going back to it as I hear it gets better)
    Deadly Premonition (though that is going to be going to PS3 in a few months. Though there is something to be said for having access to it 3 years in advance. That said, I'll still be buying the PS3 version due to the improvements in the game.)
    Infinite Undiscovery (this game got some bad reviews, and it isn't for everyone, but it to me was a solid game.)

There are other games I could have brought up there, for instance Fable 2 and Fable 3, but when I mention them, they are not getting my endorsement. I'm not a fan of the franchise. Or driving games, as I suck at them, so... yeah...

The PS3 has, in my estimation,
    Heavy Rain
    Ni No Kuni
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Ico/Shado of the Collossus HD
    Valkyria Chronicles (maybe? I have it here to play, apparently great)
    Tales of Xillia upcoming which I expect will be great.

But yes, a lot of developers are now multiplatform where they hadn't been traditionally, for instance Bethesda and BioWare as I mention in my first post in the thread, I think.
    There's no smoke without fire but I get your point. Everyone should wait to see what they next xbox will be like but all they seem to focus on is the odd game and that camera thing.
    The games should dictate your gaming choices. I see a console as getting to a tipping point where the investment in the console is a sensible thing. All three consoles got to that point for me this gen. I predict the same will happen next gen. Just a matter of when.

With a new console generation, along with the inevitable sequelization, there will come new IPs. Look at how many new IPs there were this gen, for instance.
    I'm only a "play for half an hour every once in a while" gamer and I like to play a variety of good games when I decide to, not just shooters. Sony has that and won't charge for your online, they've said they wouldn't. That's why I'm leaning on PS4 - whenever I might get one.
    I'm largely a single player gamer, so the games that will impress me on the basis of their single player campaign/story is my first priority. In terms of the online, though, Xbox Live offers a great service for the cost.

Something Sony needs to do with the PS4 is cross game chat. If I'm playing a game, it would be cool to be able to be in a party chat with people playing other games. I'd often be in a party of 8 people and we'd nearly be playing 8 different games, or at least we could be which is a brilliant feature. They need to do something for split screen games and allowing two PSN IDs on at the same time. I tried doing split screen co-op with my brother on MW 2 spec ops one time I was at his place, and we could only have one person on at a time, so to get trophies we would have had to do it twice. Stupid.

tbh i cant understand the cost of xbox live anymore, not only do we pay €50 a year for it but the few times ive used my xbox lately ive been bombarded by damn ads on it, why am i paying for it if there are a **** ton of ads on it? i also owned a ps3 for a while and signed up for ps+ which in my opinion was a service with much more value to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I also read somewhere that the next Xbox will have to be connected to the internet at all times in order to work and play your games. You're also going to have to install all your games on the HDD, knowing Microsoft they'll charge through the roof for that special hard drive.

With everything I've heard the next Xbox is a weaker and unappealing console compared to the PS4.

Thats only a rumour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Knowing my previous history of consoles, i'll probably end up buying the ps4, xbox 720 and Wii-U.

But I don't see a big rush to buy them. Take the Wii-u, yeah it looks cool but the price is a bit much and there isn't alot of games on it yet (aka, i am waiting for it to be hacked :pac:)

Same goes for the ps4 and xbox 720. There has to be good games in order for me to buy the console (aka, i'll be waiting until they become hacked :pac:)

Knowing my previous history of consoles, i'll probably end up buying the ps4, xbox 720 and Wii-U.

But I don't see a big rush to buy them. Take the Wii-u, yeah it looks cool but the price is a bit much and there isn't alot of games on it yet (aka, i am waiting for it to be hacked :pac:)

Same goes for the ps4 and xbox 720. There has to be good games in order for me to buy the console (aka, i'll be waiting until they become hacked :pac:)
    Jim Duggan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Game lists tend to be fairly pointless affairs, but I've never been one to let something being pointless stop me from doing something.

For the sake of this discussion, I'll be talking console exclusives, and what is valuable to me. The reason game lists aren't great is any list I provide can be refuted with a simple "I'm not interested in them". These difficulties aside...

Metro 2033
    Alan Wake
    Tales of Vesperia
    Lost Odyssey
    Blue Dragon (I haven't quite got in to this one to be honest, but I plan on going back to it as I hear it gets better)
    Deadly Premonition (though that is going to be going to PS3 in a few months. Though there is something to be said for having access to it 3 years in advance. That said, I'll still be buying the PS3 version due to the improvements in the game.)
    Infinite Undiscovery (this game got some bad reviews, and it isn't for everyone, but it to me was a solid game.)

There are other games I could have brought up there, for instance Fable 2 and Fable 3, but when I mention them, they are not getting my endorsement. I'm not a fan of the franchise. Or driving games, as I suck at them, so... yeah...

The PS3 has, in my estimation,
    Heavy Rain
    Ni No Kuni
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Ico/Shado of the Collossus HD
    Valkyria Chronicles (maybe? I have it here to play, apparently great)
    Tales of Xillia upcoming which I expect will be great.

But yes, a lot of developers are now multiplatform where they hadn't been traditionally, for instance Bethesda and BioWare as I mention in my first post in the thread, I think.
    I don't like games lists either but it's a known fact the ps3 has more exclusives and varied ones. You left out uncharted. They are my favourite games and there's nothing like it on xbox.

But honestly how many exclusives came out or are coming out this year, or even last year for xbox? Not very many at all, with big gaps in between.
    I'm largely a single player gamer, so the games that will impress me on the basis of their single player campaign/story is my first priority. In terms of the online, though, Xbox Live offers a great service for the cost.

Something Sony needs to do with the PS4 is cross game chat. If I'm playing a game, it would be cool to be able to be in a party chat with people playing other games. I'd often be in a party of 8 people and we'd nearly be playing 8 different games, or at least we could be which is a brilliant feature. They need to do something for split screen games and allowing two PSN IDs on at the same time. I tried doing split screen co-op with my brother on MW 2 spec ops one time I was at his place, and we could only have one person on at a time, so to get trophies we would have had to do it twice. Stupid.
    €50 a year is worth it for cross game chat? Personally I don't play online very often but when I do I don't see the point of talking to someone playing a different game to me, but I see how it could be handy. It'll be in the PS4 for free, that's a safe bet.

You can sign into psn with multiple accounts. You can do it on uncharted and motorstorm in splitscreen. I don't know about all games though.

I payed €35 for a years sub to ps+ and I've tripled my money back and I've a heap of games like mass effect 3 and infamous 2 downloaded. It's great value altogether.

Yeah, the price of the Wii U is absurd. I can't believe people didn't make a bigger fuss out of the cost of that thing, or I guess they did with the lack of sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but logo has been leaked & it fits with the Flat UI approach Msoft has been taking

Xbox-720-logo-leaked-fits-into-the-metro-tiles-system-950x545.jpg

miralize wrote: »
    Dunno if this has been posted yet, but logo has been leaked & it fits with the Flat UI approach Msoft has been taking

Xbox-720-logo-leaked-fits-into-the-metro-tiles-system-950x545.jpg

The main part of the logo looks like a Air Hockey stick thingy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭shinkansen

Just out of interest what is your opinions on the next gen of consoles?Which do you think will do better in sales? Are they coming out to soon( supposedly will be out by Christmas next year )?who will get better exclusives ? And the price?
    In my opinion I think if more developers were making the most of the systems (gta gow uncharted halo ) then there wouldn't be much of a push to upgrade

PCs spank Consoles.

my laptop has a relatively old GPU (560m) but its still better than any modern console with its i7 cpu, New GPUs like the titan from nvidia spank the PS4 before its even out.

I think that hard core gamers will desert 'next gen' consoles before they are even out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

Yeah I think I'll go for the Steam Box....

goodbye accumulated PS3 trophies :( 1725!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I've been playing Bioshock Infinite, BF3 and Fifa all on my laptop over the weekend for the first time, it looks so much better and I dont have to sacrifice my controller either. Best of both worlds really

• Advertisement

I don't like games lists either but it's a known fact the ps3 has more exclusives and varied ones. You left out uncharted. They are my favourite games and there's nothing like it on xbox.
    I only played the first Uncharted demo and was put off by the sixaxis type motion control, to be honest. I didn't have a PS3 at the time, either, and have had limited free time for gaming lately so stuck with the ones I really wanted to play, i.e Ni No Kuni, Graces F, Heavy Rain. Ones I hadn't played before and had wanted to for quite some time. I guess I'll get the 3 Uncharteds at some point as I'll get them for cheap when I have the time for proper gaming sessions.

Honestly, there are lots of games even from this gen that will be able to keep me going till likely a good amount of time beyond release of PS4/720. And then I'll have to find the time to catch up on those games... I can see something of a cycle coming.
    But honestly how many exclusives came out or are coming out this year, or even last year for xbox? Not very many at all, with big gaps in between.
    Lately, it's true there haven't been that many exclusive games, certainly not exclusive games I personally have been interested in. Like Forza Horizon, got great reviews, but driving games, I suck at them, so I pass on them. Though as I've said, the way I look at consoles is the tipping point: Suddenly there are enough games that you will not get anywhere else that motivates you to get the system.

Some of the games that motivated me to the 360 are no longer exclusive, but the ones that aren't, to take 3 of my list, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey and Metro 2033, are games this generation would be diminished big time to me by their absence. I intentionally didn't bother discussing the Halo games or Gears games as you've already posted as if you don't care for them. Maybe this isn't the case, but you simply don't think a console should survive on the strength of them alone. Well, if this is the case, to me that isn't the case.
    €50 a year is worth it for cross game chat? Personally I don't play online very often but when I do I don't see the point of talking to someone playing a different game to me, but I see how it could be handy. It'll be in the PS4 for free, that's a safe bet.
    It's just better integrated multiplayer in general, for getting people together and into a game and sending invites. The PS4 may very well up its game for the PS4. It has upped its game, seemingly a lot from the PS3 to the PS4 from what we've seen so far.
    You can sign into psn with multiple accounts. You can do it on uncharted and motorstorm in splitscreen. I don't know about all games though.
    Maybe it was done via patch or there is some game specifics like you say.
    I payed €35 for a years sub to ps+ and I've tripled my money back and I've a heap of games like mass effect 3 and infamous 2 downloaded. It's great value altogether.
    Where I'm living now I haven't been able to get my 360 or PS3 online so I haven't been able to get PS+ as I only got the PS3 while living where I am now. I hear great things about it. And it looks like it'll be continuing with the PS4. I remembered reading something before, and yes, internet, grain of salt, but better to see what the rumours are in the case they turn out to be true, rather than expecting them to be true: The report part is the important part of the link title (important in treat with suspicion, I mean.)

Anyway, that's me for the night.

I dont get the joke :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Atari Jaguar
    Just read some articles were developers were saying they doubted either ps4 or xbox 720 would be, they were right about the ps4.

We'll know for definite pretty soon if it is or not when microsoft unveil the new xbox in the next few weeks.

I've read that kind of stuff. But Microsoft have said pretty much nothing at all about the nextbox. I'd just thought you'd read something definite.

I'm just wondering if they'll be out here in time for Xmas. last time both were released pre Christmas in other markets.

And of course with both (but definitely with sony) the euro price will be higher than the other two. Sony really hates Europe.

i would actually be surprised if ms's nextbox wasnt completely kinected to fcuk

i would actually be surprised if ms's nextbox wasnt completely kinected to fcuk

Found out something during the week. It seems that the best selling xbox 360 isnt any Halo, Call of Duty or any Gears of War game. It's actually Kinect Adventures - which is messed up. No way would I have guessed that.

So the next xbox is definitely going to be kinect orientated.

Found out something during the week. It seems that the best selling xbox 360 isnt any Halo, Call of Duty or Gears of War game. It's actually Kinect Adventures - which is messed up. No way would I have guessed that.

yup, dance central is also a great selling game, thing is if ms does go further down the casual route with kinect and social apps etc. i can see them failing horribly.

the casual crowd is very fickle and with the emergence of tablets and good phones i cant see them flocking to kinect again (kind of like how there was a massive wii crowd but they didnt all jump onto the wii u)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I would not go near a the new xbox anyway, have always been a playstation fanboy, but they are really shooting themselves in the foot if this is true
    If the alleged screenshots from Microsoft’s Xbox Development Kit are to be believed, the next Xbox console (reportedly titled Durango) will not have any support for used games. Through mandatory game installs and constant internet connectivity, the new console may finally end the pre-owned software market.

The Xbox Development Kit is a software program used by developers to create games for Microsoft consoles. According to the instructions provided with Durango’s alleged kit, when a player inserts a disk (reportedly Blu-Ray) into the upcoming system, the product will be installed on and played from the internal hard drive; the inserted disk will not be used in playback.

While this may simply mean that physical disks will no longer be used repeatedly, a trend that is somewhat already present in gaming and even software such as Microsoft Office, the more troublesome element is the requirement for constant internet connection.

While the screenshots don’t clarify what purpose this connectivity curtails, it is somewhat disturbing because continuous internet connections are often a precursor to digital rights management (DRM), a term applied to a variety of techniques through which sellers control what can and cannot be done with software after purchase.

While such a measure has been unpopular amongst and troublesome for gamers, the recent SimCity debacle being an excellent example, developers and publishers embrace it as a means of combating piracy and fruitless second-hand purchases.

If all this is indeed the case, the limited usage for physical disks is both eco-friendly and clutter-reducing because it is perhaps the strongest way to convince gamers to just download directly from the Xbox Live Marketplace instead of buying physical copies at all.

However, what this also means is that if you bought an Xbox Durango for yourself and one for your 7-year old daughter, she can’t take your disk to her room and play Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse.

Also, if this is indeed the case, there will be no more taking your disk to a friend’s house, meaning gamers will somehow become even less social than they already are. Of course, the ones to get hurt the most may be companies such as Gamestop, who have built an empire around pre-owned game sales.

Of course, perhaps downloading games isn’t entirely a bad thing. There’s sentimental value to a disk for those who feel more like they actually own something when they hold it, but downloadable deals are almost always the price-friendliest option, even when compared to used games. In fact, looking at some of the deals on Steam and Green Man Gaming makes it really easy to envy PC gamers.

Interestingly, the screenshots also confirm that the presence of strong Kinect integration, although what that offers beyond what is already available on the current system remains to be seen.

Still, nothing changes the fact that sharing games becomes a lot more difficult when downloading and DRM is, at the very least, an inconvenience. That having been said, development kit screenshots don’t equal an official launch, which Microsoft will hopefully provide soon enough.

Until then, let us all have faith in how painless and helpful Microsoft has been in its previous attempts to curtail piracy.

Also for whatever price it is for your xbox live subscription you do not even get access to their Indie games marketplace, which leads me to example two, it seems that a lot of Indie developers have been burned by Microsoft and will not be dealing with the new console
    There has been worry and speculation on the internet about the PS4 exclusivity that we announced during the press conference, so here are some details to help answer those questions.

Our deal with Sony is a limited-time exclusivity that applies to competing console platforms. Basically it is that you will see the game on the PlayStation 4 for a while before you will see it on the Wii U or the rumored next Microsoft console. (We haven’t been disclosed on Microsoft’s next console, so I don’t know anything about that platform besides the rumors that are on the internet).

This exclusivity does not prevent us from being on the PC or iOS at launch, for example.

People have been speculating that we got paid for PS4 exclusivity, but that is not the case. There was no money involved.

The real situation is that, because we are a small developer, we only have the ability to launch on a small number of platforms at once. We liked the idea of being on a console, and originally we thought we might be on the PS3 or Xbox 360, but eventually we decided not to target either of those, due to the relatively low system specs and the work required to do the ports. After some more time went by, and our release date drifted further into the future, we realized that the next-generation console launch time might be a good time to release the game. (For a while we were hoping to be out substantially earlier than the next consoles, e.g. right now, so we didn’t start thinking seriously about this until recently).

To launch a high-spec version of the game on a console, it came down to a choice between the next Microsoft console or the next Sony console. There were people at Sony who really liked the game and were keeping in touch with us about it, and so we naturally started going to their PS4 developer events, got a dev kit, and started playing with it. I don’t have good communication with anyone at Microsoft right now, but all our technical people like the PS4 specs a lot more than the leaked Durango specs, and we like the positioning of the PS4 (it’s about games) more than what we perceive Microsoft’s positioning is going to be.

So we just found ourselves doing a PS4 port. And once we are doing that, it is not practical for us also to think about another console port. We were going to be a de facto console exclusive for Sony no matter what. As I mentioned, there are people at Sony who are very interested in The Witness, so they somehow percolated up through the ranks the idea of showing the game in the launch show.

Of course, Sony wants that show to point out things that are going to be exclusive or special to their console. If we are in their show, but next week we turn around and announce “we changed our mind, we are exclusive on Durango forever,” that would be a bit weird. So to be in the show we signed a timed exclusivity for competing consoles. But this was just a formalization of something that was already going to be the case. We like the PS4 and we like the people at Sony we are working with, so it was an easy choice to make the agreement.

Exact timing of our release on launch platforms has yet to be figured out. It just depends on how much we can do and when; we’ll know more as we get much closer to the game being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Also more from him, actually meant to post this in the previous post
    onathan Blow, the independent game developer behind Braid, revealed his new game The Witness at Sony’s PlayStation 4 reveal. And while it’s not a PlayStation 4 exclusive, it will be on Sony’s platform first.

Speaking with Edge Online, Blow notes that the new, still-unknown Xbox 360 successor is “not strictly about games,” leading him to PlayStation 4 as a result.

“To me[,] they talk about a console that is not strictly about games. It’s trying to be the
    of the living room device, which is fine and maybe it’s the right thing for Microsoft to do, business-wise. I don’t know; I actually don’t think it is, but they’ve certainly thought about it more than me!”

Blow then goes into his previous working relationship with Microsoft. “I’ve had a bad time working with Microsoft in the past. Maybe not super bad, but a moderately bad time in terms of business relationships. Other developers who are friends of mine have had a horrible time, so the idea of signing up again with Microsoft isn’t something I’d have ruled out, but there’s a certain amount of dread I have about doing that again.”

He notes that he doesn’t “have that [feeling] with Sony.” But he goes on to say, “Who knows, maybe it’ll turn out to be just as bad at the end! But I don’t think so.”

This isn’t the first time Blow has made his unhappiness with Microsoft known. He noted back in February that he doesn’t “have good communication with anyone at Microsoft right now,” while echoing the same general sentiment from the Edge interview, noting that his studio “like the positioning of the PS4 more than what we perceive Microsoft’s positioning is going to be.”

Found out something during the week. It seems that the best selling xbox 360 isnt any Halo, Call of Duty or any Gears of War game. It's actually Kinect Adventures - which is messed up. No way would I have guessed that.

Would you have guessed that the best selling Wii game was Wii Sports? Well, its because it was bundled with the console. Just as Kinect Adventures was bundled with Kinect. Don't make more out of the figures than there is.

Xenji, Blow knows as much about the next Xbox as people here. He has stated as such. So, let's not look to him as someone with insider knowledge when he openly admits to not being such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Neither!!! All you console heathens shall bow down before the PC Gaming Master Race

original.jpg

The ONE time this poll makes sense and the OP didn't take the opportunity.

*shakes head*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Atari Jaguar
    The ONE time this poll makes sense and the OP didn't take the opportunity.

*shakes head*

the Ps4 has a jaguar processor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Xbox720
    PS4 rulez, xbox sux. FACT!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Will depend on price. I'll be in no rush to buy either at launch. Tend to be way over priced then. I'll wait a few years to see what way they develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Apart from being an old thread that's been dragged up, this is really in the wrong place.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement