Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Yorkshire Police and Hillsborough and admitting you're wrong..

• 16-09-2012 10:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭

After this whole Hillsborough thing finally came to light, I read that the South Yorkshire Police tested the blood of a dead 10 year-old boy for alcohol and also checked to see if other dead had criminal records. What kind of mind would contemplate this?

But my question is very simple.....why don't those who screamed loudest that Hillsborough fans or Bloody Sunday dead or anyone else who has been lambasted and proven otherwise, why don't any of these people come out and say "I was wrong, and I'm sorry."?
    I have absolutely no problem admitting that I'm wrong. Why do people who roar on the side of something which later becomes debunked just clam up and fcuk off and be silent? Why don't they come out and say "I got it totally wrong lads"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Many people don't like to show an apparent weakness by admitting they were wrong.

That's all there is to it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

because they are cops who think they are invincible and above the law. It was easier to blame a few drunken fans for their cock up than to admit they were wrong. It was also a different social climate back in the 80's with Thatcherism rife, tbh England in the 80's looked a bleak, nasty place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Because if your wrong a lot and admitting it eventually you'll have to admit to yourself your thick as shít. Nobody wants that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

But my question is very simple.....why don't those who screamed loudest that Hillsborough fans or Bloody Sunday dead or anyone else who has been lambasted and proven otherwise, why don't any of these people come out and say "I was wrong, and I'm sorry."?
    I have absolutely no problem admitting that I'm wrong. Why do people who roar on the side of something which later becomes debunked just clam up and fcuk off and be silent? Why don't they come out and say "I got it totally wrong lads"?

Because that's actually rarer than you think. Fair play to you -- that's a lovely quality to have and I hope you always keep it-- but far too may people, IMO and IME, see apologising as a sign of weakness or just can't bring themselves to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I always admit if I'm wrong in my personal and professional life. Then again I never caused the death of 96 people.

Doesn't matter how the knowledge was arrived at: now just make them pay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement