Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live through Laptop

Options
  • 16-09-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

Hey, folks, I moved into a new place a wee while ago, and because my Xbox is in my room, I can no longer plug it straight into the net. I believe there is a way I can use my laptop as a wireless, and simply run a cable from there to my Xbox and access Xbox Live, but I simply can suss out how to run this.

Can anyone help me out here?

Ps. If this is against forum rules, Mods, then please delete this thread. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

a wireless lan adapter would do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Cheers, man. I'll dig into that thread, and see if it does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I've started running a cable from the Xbox to the laptop, and then my 02 dongle from there. It took a couple of restarts - initially, it didn't work for no discernable reason, and then after changing absolutely nothing, suddenly it did. Internet! - but it's fine now.

The speed and capacity isn't really stable enough for actual play, but it's fine for updates and expansions, etc. One question though, after downloading something like Dawnguard, do I need to be online every time I fire up Skyrim for it to kick in? That's kind of how it seems, but I'd rather not have to mess around with the cable if I didn't have to, if there's a setting or a license to enable or something, I'd love to know about it...

I spent about an hour trying to sort this last night, and wound up even more confused than I was at the beginning. Really thought I was onto something until it started mentioning MAC codes and the likes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Tell us a bit more about your set up - what kind of wireless broadband do you have exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I didn't follow through with this, as i was about to do this about two months ago, but before i needed to, my problem was sorted..

5 Steps.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Your-Laptop-As-an-Xbox-Wireless-Adapter

I'll check this one when I get the chance. Cheers, folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Have just set this up myself to free up a homeplug for another pc in the house and it works well, I had the xbox already set up for use with the homeplugs so I did not have to change anything on the xbox.

I just followed this youtube vid and set up the bridge on the laptop and it worked first time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Have you considered homeplugs? Far cheaper, can be used on a multiple of items (i.e. laptops, desktops, blu ray players etc.) when the xbox is gone, and a wired connection is always more reliable than a wireless one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I have 02 dongle > laptop > cable > 360

With Win7 you just have to go into "Network and sharing center" > select your internet connection[wi-fi in your case] > properties > tick the boxes to allow sharing with your local area connection.

Advertisement