Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum charter and sticky suggestions!

Options
  • 16-09-2012 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi all you boardsies interested in Canada! I am your new mod, but I currently live in the USA (so no timbits for me :( ).

I can't anticipate any major issues that need moderator attention other than the occasional miss-placed threads or spam in this forum, but please read the charter (new sticky, top of page), and if you have any suggestions of other things that should be in the charter or anything that needs clarified, let me know in this thread or by PM.

I'd rather not have too many stickies, it can clutter the page, but I am happy to sticky a few threads you lads and ladies find particularly helpful/ questions that come up all the time, such as about visa issues. So if there are currently any threads (or some come up in the future) that you feel are universally relevant and important, post them here and if there's agreement, I can sticky it.

If there are questionable posts, please use the little red and white "report" icon at the bottom left of each post to get the quickest mod attention. If you have more general questions or suggestions, feel free to PM me- I log on at least twice a day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

There was a sticky ages ago in the old forum where people could just post where in Canada they were living, maybe could be a sticky about introducing yourself and where you are/planning on going to?

I think its good so if you see someone near you, or in a place you want to learn about you can connect with them. I've gotten a few PMs from people wanting info about my province anyway, cause I posted in that old thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Agree with the jobs thread, the only things is moderating the thread (so as to know when the jobs are gone etc - don't want people applying for jobs that are long gone and the like).

I think it might take a little while longer before we see if any thread deserves stickyin. I think one with all the information pertaining to applying for the various visas you can get would be great, but that requires someone to create it who has time on their hands!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Just echoing what's been suggested, a meet and greet thread introducing yourself and where you are located would be handy.
    Also the jobs thread would be a good idea, and possibly a checklist thread of stuff you might need to bring with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Aquila wrote: »
    Well this thread
    could be stickied as a meet and greet thread,not because it's mine but it had a bit of activity.

Yup that could do nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Maybe change the title for people who already live in Canada though?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Also, way back i created a thread with a link to a google map that people could edit showing where they were. It didnt get much responses but now that Canada has its own thread I think it would be pretty cool to incorporate it into any meet and greet/where are you?/welcome to canada! thread

Map link is here: http://goo.gl/maps/74ahs

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Would a dedicated IEC sub-forum be overkill?
    At least a stickied thread for IEC questions
    You can bet 90% of the traffic to the Canada forum will be of the IEC variety

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Would a dedicated IEC sub-forum be overkill?
    At least a stickied thread for IEC questions
    You can bet 90% of the traffic to the Canada forum will be of the IEC variety

+1.
    The amount of repeated threads by new users in the us&canada forum & then the living abroad forum, during the application phase was unreal. Could do with a one stop shop for all iec questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Stickied Aquila's thread and edited the title to reflect it's for those going and already there. Retalivity- Feel free to post your link to Google maps there too.

Not sure IEC needs its own subforum at this time, with topics from over a week ago still on the first page, but we could certainly sticky a thread with the pertinent info. Anyone with experience want to write a general info topic that I can sticky and others can add to?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Howdy folks!

I'd like to introduce ToniTuddle to you as the new mod of Canada.
    Please give TT your full support & a nice warm welcome to the forum.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Well done Tuddles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Thanks very much!

Currently living in Vancouver about a month now so still learning about the city everyday.
    I'm 8 hours behind Irish time so there might be the odd delay in replying to PMs. Will do my best to help everybody out with any questions they have.

See you guys around the forum! :)

Advertisement